The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   55.2-59 Can anyone tell me what these are for (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=775033)

undertaker59 11-12-2018 12:37 AM

Can anyone tell me what these are for

1 Attachment(s)
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what these little buckets are for,they are on both sides and the cap just swings open.Attachment 1837693

mongocanfly 11-12-2018 12:43 AM

Re: Can anyone tell me what these are for

looks kinda homemade...maybe it had stacks on it at one time?

Foot Stomper 11-12-2018 01:37 AM

Those are for storing waste from the flux capacitor!

Or, like Greg said...haha

definitely not stock. Post a picture of inside?

65blackfleetside 11-12-2018 02:37 PM

What you have there is very rare only found on that model truck;
It is a dealer optioned "blinker fluid storage compartment."

65blackfleetside 11-12-2018 02:41 PM

I agree with mongo

Looks like truck had stacks at one time. They took a shortcut when they removed them.

dsraven 11-12-2018 03:54 PM

looks like something placed there for you to remove in order to hone your patch fabbing and welding skills.
never seen one before, sorry. same old same old though. if you like it, keep it. if you don't, remove it. your truck.

vintovka 11-12-2018 06:57 PM

Emergency "Vegemite" storage?

mr48chev 11-12-2018 08:55 PM

I'd be inclined to agree that it (they)is the space filler for stacks that were there at one time. If there is only one it might be some previous owner's stash spot for his jug so he didn't have an open container in the truck. Could have even been the tire chain stash if it is big enough.

1project2many 11-12-2018 11:21 PM

Did it come from a dry area? Somewhere to dump cigarette ashes without starting a fire?

MARTINSR 11-13-2018 02:19 AM

How about a few photos from the back side and the underside. This is curious as hell. The ONLY thing I can think of is stacks as others have said. But damn, that's odd, why the cover just because they aren't being used, does that change anything? LOL I don't get it.

Post a few more photos, inquiring minds want to know.

Brian

PDW HOTRODS 11-13-2018 01:49 PM

Is there any trace of something mounted at the top of the bed side too? If so it could have been for holding the end of a rake or other tools. Landscapers and people who work in the woods, or anywhere really, add mounts to hold tools all the time.

undertaker59 11-13-2018 10:15 PM

Thanks for your help everyone, I had thought these may be some sort of option that I had never seen before, it seems not..
Once again thanks for your input.

Gippetto 11-14-2018 10:48 AM

Reminds me of the sand dispencer systems they used to have on the trackless trolleys when I was a kid in the Boston area. That would be the valving part, the sand resevoirs were maybe 100 pounds worth and were up top somewhere. One on each side.

57tailgater 11-15-2018 12:32 PM

Like others I am curious too. What do they look like underneath? Cab and bed looks to be in very good shape. Are the front sides closed off as well? Pics pics pics!!

vintovka 11-15-2018 01:19 PM

What no "Vegemite" followup? BTW is it left or right hand drive?

undertaker59 11-15-2018 06:22 PM

57 Tailgater, your right the metal work is fantastic, and I will endeavor to get you further pictures but for now, these things are completely closed like a little bucket and the top swings open and closed.

Vintovka I hate to disappoint but Vegemite is not on my list of things I enjoy, the truck is a 59 left hook.

vintovka 11-15-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undertaker59 (Post 8385056)
57 Tailgater, your right the metal work is fantastic, and I will endeavor to get you further pictures but for now, these things are completely closed like a little bucket and the top swings open and closed.

Vintovka I hate to disappoint but Vegemite is not on my list of things I enjoy, the truck is a 59 left hook.

I was kinda sorta forced to try it by the commander of the Australian Air Force when we delivered the F111s to them long ago. A "delight" never to be forgotten. Would be interesting to actually know what it was for.

joedoh 11-15-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gippetto (Post 8384099)
Reminds me of the sand dispencer systems they used to have on the trackless trolleys when I was a kid in the Boston area. That would be the valving part, the sand resevoirs were maybe 100 pounds worth and were up top somewhere. One on each side.

this would be my guess too, road gritter for the rear tires, larger trucks of the same era used a gravity system just like this, I cant find the pictures but I remember them from an accessory catalog.