The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   '55 Chevy gasser build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=433520)

superchevy 12-01-2010 10:14 AM

'55 Chevy gasser build

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys.
I have had several requests to start a build thread for my '55 gasser, so here ya go.
I originally bought the ex-drag car about 4 years ago. I was in the middle of replacing the floor pans and radiusing the wheel wells when I stumbled across a ;72 GMC K25 for a song...so, I stopped working on the '55 and jumped into a full frame-off resto on the K25. I'm just about finished with the K25, in fact while it was at the paint shop for a month, I started working on the gasser again, so here we are.
I will try to update this thread whenever I do some work on the gasser. I'm trying to get it ready for the LoneStar Round up in April...we'll see if I make it!
Here is a pic of the car when I bought it, and one as it sits today. I will fill in with pics of the straight axle install and everything else in the next few days.
Casey

Jonboy 12-03-2010 06:16 PM

Re: '55 Chevy gasser build

I dig it; has a two lane blacktop look to it. Glad to see you are still around, Casey!

superchevy 12-03-2010 11:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics of the body modifications and sheetmetal work we did about 3 years ago before I started on the K25 project.
We radiused the rear wheel wells for tire clearance, and mini-tubbed the inner wheel houses. The front firewall was recessed so I could slide a big-block in there. The floor pans were replaced. The spare tire wll was filled. A new Kugel clutch/brake pedal combo was installed with a remote under dash brake resevoir/booster/ and hydraulic cluth resevoir.
After this work was done, the car sat inside the shop until late August when I finally put the K25 in the paint shop. Since the truck was out, started back on the gasser...brought it out of hibernation.
Here's some pics of the body mods and rolling it outside after 3 years to wash the dust off inside and out!

superchevy 12-04-2010 12:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some more pics after I rolled the car outside to wash of 3 years of dust!

superchevy 12-04-2010 12:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Straight axle time, Baby!
It's time to start on the frame. First on the list was to move the rear springs in board and into the frame rails... they call it pocketing the springs. I pulled the "pocketing" kit I bought 3 years ago out from under the bench and got to work. After the rear springs were pocketed, it was time to lop off the front crossmember/suspension. After carefully measuring, the sawzall came out and did the surgery. The new frame rail stock was set in the frame, and then everything was set on my buddy David's chassis jig. David being the ace fabricator he is, plated the frame rails where the new pieces meet the old, bull-nosed the front of the rails, and welded in a new crossmember with radiator mount. We measured...and measured...and levelled...and laser levelled...and measured a lot more before eveything was finish welded.
Here's some pics:

superchevy 12-04-2010 12:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
more frame build pics

superchevy 12-04-2010 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and more frame build pics

superchevy 12-04-2010 12:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
With the basic frame built up, it was time to set the body on the frame to get the actual straight axle/ leaf springs mocked up...mock up the rear end...mock up the old-school engine mount...and mock up the tranny crossmember.
Here's some pics of setting the body on the frame...very weird to see the body hanging from the rafters, lol! :

superchevy 12-04-2010 12:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Time to mcok up the straight axle and leaf springs and tack into place:

superchevy 12-04-2010 12:23 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Time to mock up the engine, fab up some motor mounts for the old-school Hurst style engine mount, make sure the headers clear, and get the trans crossmember installed.

superchevy 12-04-2010 12:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
At this point, it was time to put the body back on the bodycart, sandblast the and paint the frame. I used about a quart of Rustoleum gloss black enamel thinned with acetone and sprayed with an HVLP gun...came out pretty slick.

Altec 12-04-2010 07:09 AM

Man, you had a great base car! Very cool!

Makes me want to build a Two-Lane Blacktop car.

superchevy 12-04-2010 09:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the compliments.
Well, the paint shop finished with my '72 K25, so took make some room, we put the '55 body back on the frame...made it a roller. I took a bunch of pics as we assembled the straight axle, rotors, rear axles, springs and wheels before we set the body on, but for some reason none of the pics saved to the camera.
The body will have to come off at least one more time, and the frame will have to be disassembled to weld in front shock tabs and steering box mounts, as well as send a lot of the parts off for chrome plating. I will take more pics at that time.
As of today, I have a buddy of mine, Aaron, doing bodywork on the car while I stay busy doing the final assembly on the K25. Aaron's already smoothed out all the dents on the hood and right qrtr panel. He's actually coming over today to finish up on the left qrtr panel...then doors...then I have to decide on fiberglass frontend or steel.
Will post more pics soon!
Casey

kyull67 12-04-2010 02:15 PM

Very cool! Was that a '64 Impala back there?

superchevy 12-04-2010 08:32 PM

Good eyes!
Yes, not just a '64 Impala, but a '64 SS Convertible Impala.
Here's a few mork pics of the '55.

superchevy 12-04-2010 08:33 PM

bodywork pics

superchevy 12-04-2010 08:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
ttt

FRENCHBLUE72 12-20-2010 02:36 PM

I may have missed it but what kind of intake is that? Very cool build btw...

383Ram 12-27-2010 03:29 PM

It looks like the intake might be an old Edlebrock, but not positive, maybe he will chime back in on it because I wanted to know what valve covers those were. Nice build by the way.

spudz 01-01-2011 10:41 PM

I third that! tell me about the intake and valve covers. love the fenderwell headers.

tcb-1 01-01-2011 11:00 PM

Sick!

superchevy 09-02-2011 10:38 PM

I apologize for taking so long to get back to the thread...I really need to update this with new pics and details.
The intake is a very early production '65 Edelbrock "box ram" tunnel ram. It is huge and will look great polished. They weren't the greatest t-rams though...horrible fuel puddling issues, and were quickly discarded in favor of better designs. I had a friend of mine weld in some plates to help with the fuel distribution issues and will be running a dual FAST EZ-EFI throttle-body injection set-up.
The valvecovers are ultra-ultra-rare EELCO's from the mid-60's. They are huge/tall. 20 years of collecting and I've only run across one other pair. I've been hanging on to them for a special project, and this one is it.
I will get off my ass and post more pics.
SC

beardogdave 09-14-2011 01:31 AM

very cool build where did you get the headers?

noonzor 01-13-2012 01:20 AM

any updates on this build? id suuurrrree love to see what shes looking like now!

WIDESIDE72 09-13-2014 11:57 AM

Two yrs now! No progress?!?! :lol:

I did see in another thread where you bought a nice 68 c20 50th anniversary truck out of norcal. Nice truck!

We met once, btw, I think I bought a tilt steering column from you. You were just finishing up on the black gmc 4x4.