The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My 1st build 70 CST Project (insert cool name here) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=402166)

ewoody625 05-11-2010 06:06 PM

My 1st build 70 CST Project (insert cool name here)

5 Attachment(s)
Well I'm a little late at starting this thread as I have already started my project, but I thought why not? Better late then never right? lol. So here it is my 70 CST project.
Little background on my project. I started out with a 71 Cheyene I had wrecked and was gonna fix that. It had rust issues in the normal places, so I set out to find a cab for it. I wanted something rust free so I started looking in the south. I lived in AZ for about a year and saw some nice stuff while I was there, so I looked real hard in that area and got in contact with t korinek he had a cab I was gonna get but ended being no good (not what I was looking for anyway). Well to make a long story short, he told me about a whole truck he had for sale; sent me some pics, price was right and so I made the trip down to AZ to pick it up. Drove straight through round trip 60 hours. I will never do that again. Well its now in pieces waiting to get put back together. I'll get to the pics now lol. It's kind of a take 2 to make 1 project.
Ok not sure how to post notes under pics but anyway the first to pics are the truck before i picked it up. The next is my two trucks of course lol(when I got the new one home). The next two pics are how the truck looked a couple weekends after I had it, tear down started.

ewoody625 05-11-2010 06:16 PM

Re: My 1st build 70 CST Project (insert cool name here)

5 Attachment(s)
Some more pics.

Took the carpet out and started gutting the interior, pulled the gas tank; the 3rd pic is the gas that came out of that tank. It sat for just a bit huh? LOL. Then started on the front suspension. I was changing the drum brakes to the disc brakes off my 71. Had it all torn apart then was told it was easier just to swap cross members, oh well a little extra work never hurt anyone.

ewoody625 05-11-2010 06:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pushed it out for a wash, then brought the 71 in pulled the motor and took the cross member off. Swapped cross members, swapped the 5 lug axles out of the 71 as well and put my new 2/4 drop suspension from CPP on.

ewoody625 05-11-2010 06:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Then the body work started, sanding, sanding, sanding, and more sanding lol

ewoody625 05-11-2010 06:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More sanding revealed some dents and dings but nothing major. Dash was a little rusty as well as a spot under the windshield.

ewoody625 05-11-2010 07:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got anxious and want to some paint go on so I cleaned and preped the underside of the hood and had my dad spray it. It came out good but I don't like it, it's to glossy so I'm gonna have him spray it again with a semi gloss and see how that turns out.

ewoody625 05-11-2010 07:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well with the cab sanded as good as I could get it with the da I moved onto the fenders. A little mud on the hood and it was time for primer

gixxerpymp 05-11-2010 07:19 PM

Awesome work man... Keep us updated!

ewoody625 05-11-2010 07:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Next a little welding. There were little holes all round the rear window, I'm not sure what they were for but they got welded up. Then all the molding holes.

ewoody625 05-11-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerpymp (Post 3970736)
Awesome work man... Keep us updated!

Thanks way more to come lol.

ewoody625 05-11-2010 07:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Time for sandblasting. I wish I could have started sandblasting sooner, its so much faster than sanding.

chevy_mike 05-12-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewoody625 (Post 3970756)
Next a little welding. There were little holes all round the rear window, I'm not sure what they were for but they got welded up. Then all the molding holes.

Great work.

My guess is at one time it had a camper on it. It was really common to remove the rear window and put cover that went thru the openning. It most likely was held on with the snap buttons, like a bed cover.

ewoody625 05-12-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_mike (Post 3972368)
Great work.

My guess is at one time it had a camper on it. It was really common to remove the rear window and put cover that went thru the openning. It most likely was held on with the snap buttons, like a bed cover.

Oh that makes sense. Doesn't seem like that window would be easy to take out all the time though.

samwise68 05-12-2010 05:25 PM

That is an incredibly clean truck, you have your work cut out for you! It should turn out looking great - keep up the amazing work!

-Sam.

ewoody625 05-12-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwise68 (Post 3972610)
That is an incredibly clean truck, you have your work cut out for you! It should turn out looking great - keep up the amazing work!

-Sam.

Thanks, Arizona rust free can't beat it lol. It did have its issues though, it wasn't spotless but I didn't expect it to be. really looking forward to the finished product.

ewoody625 05-17-2010 11:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I did some work this weekend. Got the rear window out and attacked the corner full of bondo. I should have taken more pics, the bondo in that corner had to be at least 2 inches thick! Whoever had this truck before didn't understand the concept of metal working. I don't have any pics of "during" grinding all the bondo off but I think I have some before pics and of course afters. I took a before and after of the floor to show how much bondo was on that corner. Oh P.S. all those holes were under the bondo. The after pics are after some beating lol.

ewoody625 05-17-2010 11:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More bondo pics. The 1st pic is actually after griding before beating. Then before and after floor pics. We got it looking pretty good now, straightened out and what not. I'm gonna attempt to weld up the holes and tears, the metal is super thin in some places so I dont know how thats gonna work out.

ewoody625 06-08-2010 02:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I know its been awhile since my last post so heres an update... I'm coming off a weeks vacation got a lot done but not quite the results I was looking for. It seemed like it was set back after set back, but my buddy came in from Texas and helped out a bunch. The air compressor motor went out on Tuesday and was down for 3 days. Luckly my bro had just come into one he wasnt using yet so we borrowed it. Much smaller than my dads and we were working it hard, but it got the job done. So we were able to finish up the sandblasting in between the rain. 3 days and 3 new air compressor motors later we finally got the right one and got the big compressor running again. The goal was to get all the big pieces in primer, I wanted the cab in primer too but I guess that will happen in the next couple weeks. So anyway I guess I'll stop blabbing and get to the pics lol. Oh, and I finally got my right inner fender.

ewoody625 06-08-2010 03:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more pics

ewoody625 06-08-2010 03:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
s'more pics

ewoody625 06-08-2010 03:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
few more pics

ewoody625 06-08-2010 03:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
pics pics pics

ewoody625 06-08-2010 03:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
just a few more i think...

Dieselwrencher 06-08-2010 04:48 PM

Very nice start! This will be a nice truck very soon. What color are you going with?

ewoody625 06-08-2010 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you. I was thinking of something like this...it wont be that low and instead of the white stripe i was thinking of a silver stripe and maybe not that wide. To answer your question though, I was told that is "chevy orange" which i guess guess is the same as hugger orange. I was given a few gallons of omaha orange which is suppose to be very close to hugger. Then black and the silver stripe, I dont have exact colors picked out for the black or silver. The 71 I wrecked was that color. It had a black roof and the rest was hugger orange, which was the factory paint scheme, so I was trying to redo that with a little customizing.