The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hood to cowl seal and alignment (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=394421)

jlolson 03-27-2010 05:30 PM

Hood to cowl seal and alignment

Hello all,

I just installed a new hood to cowl seal. The new seal is standing straight up and the old seal rolled over the cowl screws. Which is correct?

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/cowlseal.jpg

I also am noticing my hood passenger side is sticking up in the back and getting worse. Is this a bad hinge or an alignment issue?

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/a...olson/Hood.jpg

Thanks in advance,

mbgmike 03-27-2010 05:34 PM

Re: Hood to cowl seal and alignment

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlolson (Post 3885382)
Hello all,

I just installed a new hood to cowl seal. The new seal is standing straight up and the old seal rolled over the cowl screws. Which is correct?

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/cowlseal.jpg

I also am noticing my hood passenger side is sticking up in the back and getting worse. Is this a bad hinge or an alignment issue?

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/a...olson/Hood.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Old one was correct. The replacements are the same. You can still buy them from GM

Texasbigblock 03-27-2010 05:50 PM

i had/ have the same exact problem with the one from LMC....

jlolson 03-27-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbigblock (Post 3885416)
i had/ have the same exact problem with the one from LMC....

Ah man. Really? What should I do then, buy another one?

Sinister 03-27-2010 05:55 PM

They take a little bit to break in. You can adjust your hood by loosening the bolts to the fender, pushing up on the hood when it's open and retightening the bolts.

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 03-27-2010 06:35 PM

That is how mine looked when I first put it on it stuck straight up, but now it is rolled over like the old one was. It's fine.

mbgmike 03-27-2010 06:47 PM

The quality ones are already folded like the factory. Plus if you do purchase one from GM you don't have to do the little cut outs. If you Purchase Quality repro you will have to cut them.

Sounds like the other mentioned company was selling a cheap piece of flat rubber.

derotoreut 03-27-2010 07:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey I was installing an aftermarket one today too, but mine seemed to sit down a bit better and it has the cutouts. My issue is that there seems to be a big gap between the cowl and bottom (where seal goes). On each end where there is no seal there's a big gap. Is there supposed to be something else in there that I'm missing?

jlolson 03-27-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 3885522)
Hey I was installing an aftermarket one today too, but mine seemed to sit down a bit better and it has the cutouts. My issue is that there seems to be a big gap between the cowl and bottom (where seal goes). On each end where there is no seal there's a big gap. Is there supposed to be something else in there that I'm missing?

I think the gap is fine. Mine is the same.

jlolson 03-28-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbgmike (Post 3885387)
Old one was correct. The replacements are the same. You can still buy them from GM

I had no luck finding one from GM. Is anyone aware of where I could purchase the correct seal online or otherwise?

This LMC part is not going ot work, half of it folds over when the hood is close, the other half pinches and folds in. I can't believe LMC would sell this thing. I've got it folder over with painters tape now so I can close my hood. Classy.

mbgmike 03-28-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlolson (Post 3886900)
I had no luck finding one from GM. Is anyone aware of where I could purchase the correct seal online or otherwise?

This LMC part is not going ot work, half of it folds over when the hood is close, the other half pinches and folds in. I can't believe LMC would sell this thing. I've got it folder over with painters tape now so I can close my hood. Classy.

UH last time I looked we sell them but you can buy them here

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/restora...tocategory.cfm

We have them in stock to:lol:

kelsfine69 03-28-2010 03:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes the repo ones are L shaped and the GM ones are bent back. I had this on for 2 years now and it still does not lay flat. My hood also gets pushed up because of this so I went and bought a GM one. I dont have the part Number but the 2nd pic is Gm correct. I will get around to instaling it this spring...

mbgmike 03-28-2010 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsfine69 (Post 3886993)
Yes the repo ones are L shaped and the GM ones are bent back. I had this on for 2 years now and it still does not lay flat. My hood also gets pushed up because of this so I went and bought a GM one. I dont have the part Number but the 2nd pic is Gm correct. I will get around to instaling it this spring...

They make the repro ones just like Gm its just these guys aren't buying them. The repros are just like GM except the little squares for the screws are not cut out and the GM have a few little ribs in them. Also a little lip on the flat edge. The other repros are not even close to a reproduction.

Here is a picture of a repro not the flat rubber stuff

mbgmike 03-28-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 3885522)

You install the rubber on top of the cowl not between the cowl and body.OOPS

culp7 03-29-2010 05:49 PM

does anyone have a direct link to the GM made ones???

richards72chevy 07-28-2013 08:40 AM

I guess I should have done some research on here before I bought mine.Got one from lmc as well.It fits so badly its letting rain water on my cap and coil causing a no start.

Pickup69er 04-13-2015 10:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I bought the cowl hood seal from LMC and wrestled with many of the issues mentioned here. My final solution (factory correct or not) was to fit the ribbed/lipped portion of the 90˚ rubber seal under the cowl, i.e., between the cowl and the body. When the hood drops, the rubber does a natural bend and seals against the top inside edge the hood.

Redline novdog 10-18-2015 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am in the middle of doing a screen under the cowl and the seal is shot so if anyone has a GM number please post it! FYI my seal was between the cowl and cab.

Redline novdog 10-18-2015 07:55 PM

Help!

moon 10-21-2015 10:09 PM

Bump -----> Mine didn't have a cowel seal when I bought it... never knew it was supposed to, which explains a 'couple things. I am also having difficulty finding a source other than LMC.

GASoline71 10-21-2015 10:16 PM

About halfway down this page. $9.99 for the seal.

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/rubb...atherstrip.htm

I bought this seal from Classic Heartbeat (site sponsor) and it fit just fine in my 1972 GMC.

Gary

Redline novdog 10-22-2015 08:39 PM

Ordered mine tonight from Classic Heartbeat. The freaking shipping was almost twice the price of the seal! Really! Anyway better be good. I'll let you all know.

jondancer 10-22-2015 09:36 PM

Subscribed, I need this seal too

Dieselwrencher 10-22-2015 09:42 PM

I'd like to know if it works too. I installed one from LMC on mine and ended up removing it. It's just another thing on the list to finish. :lol:

Redline novdog 10-26-2015 06:33 PM

Have not got it yet but Wes from Classic Heartbeat e-mailed me that I ordered 2,my mistake and I don't know where else you would get that kind of service!