The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Black Betty - How it all started (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=538749)

LDO 08-16-2012 08:08 PM

Black Betty - How it all started

2 Attachment(s)
Instead of doing the usual build thread, I thought I would do something a little different since I didn't actually build this particular truck but I love it nonetheless. Just wanted to tell the story of how I came to own this particular truck.

I own a 57 short bed that I've completely gone thru already and I knew I wanted a 60s series truck so I began looking in the usual places. Ebay, oldrides, craigslist, etc. Found tons of trucks in my price range but nothing really stood out to me. Some had some serious potential, others needed some serious help. I found one in particular that I kept coming back to but was a bit out of my price range and it was located in N.C and I'm stationed in Pensacola fl..

I contacted the guy just so I could get some info on the truck, figure out how negotiable the price was and ultimately, since it was a little out of my budget, I could get the truck out of my system. It was a 66 with a 63 grille, 283 and a 4 speed. The truck had undergone a frame off restoration a couple of years ago and the seller knew the entire history of the truck. The seller is a car guy with several sweet rides sitting in the garage besides the truck. The truck was purchased new in 66 by his buddy's father. The father gave it to the son (seller's buddy) and the son had all the work done. Later, the buddy sold it to the seller who wanted it for his own son. The seller's son wasn't very interested so the that's how the truck came up for sale.

I spoke to the seller and we hit it off immediately which made things even more difficult since it was out of my price range...I considered the price of traveling to get the truck but made an offer anyways. It was too low so I told him I enjoyed talking to him and if my financial situation changed, I would be in touch. The seller's wife contacted me a few days later and said that they would accept my offer. It appeared that they had a soft spot for military folks and wanted to help me out.

I called the wife from work and we talked about it as I was still unsure if I should pull the trigger on this. I tend to over-think some things and because of that, I'm usually the guy who takes one day too many to sleep on things and misses a good/great opportunity. At some point, my wife and the seller's wife spoke on the phone without me knowing and really hit it off. By the time I came home from work, the wife had a certified check and an airline reservation for the following day for me to fly to N.C and pick up the truck!!!

Wife said this was too good an opportunity to pass up and even though we had several trucks on our 'short list' she knew this was the one I really wanted and she didn't want to see me miss out on it.

I called the seller and we finalized my travel arrangements. The next day, I got dropped off at the airport, checked my (tool) bag and boarded an airplane headed to Fayettville. The seller's wife picked me up at the airport and you really couldn't ask for a nicer couple. They were so excited for me we immediately clicked; it was a really good experience.

When we pulled up to the driveway, there she was. The seller and I looked at the truck, he pointed out all of the things he wanted me to know about; good and bad (there wasn't much bad). I know about 'buyer's excitement' but this truck really was everything I wanted and the pictures didn't do it justice. Everything was in order. Yeah, the speedo and the fuel guage didn't work but other than that, she was a really sweet ride.

We talked some more about cars, and took a look at his other rides. We completed the business end of things and continued to talk and enjoy the visit. At about 1pm, I told them I had to get going so I could get home by midnight. They still couldn't believe that my plan was to just jump on the interstate and go. I figured why not. I needed some excitement in my life so off I went.

Experience has taught me that there is a fine line between guts and stupid and I was hoping that I wasn't about to cross it! I filled the tank up and got on the road. The 1st hour in the truck was as you could imagine. My eyes are locked on the gauges hoping they're accurate and no abnormal indications appear. After that, I began getting a little more comfortable and used to the particular noises, etc.

The wife has this cell phone tracker that she can 'overlay' onto google maps and we figured that about 3 hours would be a good window to pull off for gas and to stretch the legs. She would plot certain landmarks on my route home and get a notification on her computer when I reached them. She would give me a text or call telling me to pull off and get gas. That's how we plotted my route home the entire way and it was cool because even though she was bumming that she couldn't come, she was still involved in the trip. Also, the seller would call me occasionally to make sure things were going well which I thought was really cool.

The miles clicked away and the entire trip was uneventful. I did run into a little rain but the wipers worked and I kept on truckin. Everywhere I stopped, folks came by to check her our and ask questions. Eventually I got off the interstate and called the wife to let her know I'd be home in a few minutes; it was close to midnight by now.

By the time I pulled into the driveway, she had the garage open and a grin from ear to ear screamin, "that's bad-ass!". I smiled the entire trip home but I was getting tired so I pulled her in the garage after the wife completed her 'walk around' and went to bed. The next day, I pulled her back out and checked her out and wiped some of the bugs off. Everything was in order and I began making a prioritized list of things I discovered during the road trip that would need attention.

The next few days involved trips to the DMV and emails to the seller thanking him for his help and letting him know I made it home and was very happy with the sale. I've been driving the truck every day since my road trip, rain or shine. So far I've replaced the speedo cable and got the horns working. This truck has all the mods I would do myself and it rides great! I can't imagine a better op-check than a 12 hour road trip so my confidence on the maintenance performed so far isn't in question. My plans are for some autometer guages, underbed tank and drive the heck out of this thing.

Sorry for such a long thread but I wanted to share my story with you folks. Here's a pic of the truck from the original ad and the 2nd pic is me the next morning painting the M/C and the rotors and calipers. Yes, I have to add some of me into her....

61_FL_Apache 08-16-2012 08:10 PM

Re: Black Betty - How it all started

Very nice!!

Indian113 08-16-2012 08:17 PM

That's Absolutley Great,what a story-nice truck and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE for US

plainred65 08-16-2012 08:21 PM

Great looking truck, congrats!

derail 08-16-2012 08:51 PM

Your wife is right, "that's bad-ass!".

gimmy 64 08-16-2012 08:53 PM

this is a good read. i have seen the threads that your wife has had on here. the road trip just adds to it. and according to your wife the 57 is her's. happy trucking you guy's

LDO 08-16-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmy 64 (Post 5542744)
according to your wife the 57 is her's. happy trucking you guy's

she has a drinking problem...;)

Rich 5150 69 08-16-2012 08:57 PM

The wife and truck are definitely keepers LDO, much like my own...;)

Narxoleptic Customs 08-16-2012 09:15 PM

Great looking truck!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dinos63 08-16-2012 09:47 PM

killer truck bob! but we are going to need more pics!!:lol::lol: great story too:metal:

CRGRS 66 08-16-2012 09:54 PM

That is such a great story. My story is similar, but no where near as epic, and no where near as personal as far as the relationship formed with the sellers. Congratulations!

doobiebro 08-16-2012 10:01 PM

Nice truck, nice wife, and nice story!!!:metal::metal:

LDO 08-16-2012 10:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 5542846)
killer truck bob! but we are going to need more pics!!:lol::lol: great story too:metal:

someone say more pics? ;)

78f1hundo 08-16-2012 10:56 PM

What size are the wheels, looks nice, I love the ride height....

chevy_mike 08-16-2012 11:17 PM

Great looking truck and great story. Thanks for taking the time to share it and for your service!!!

Captainfab 08-17-2012 12:41 AM

Very nice truck :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing the story of the purchase of this fine looking truck.

Thanks for your service :flagw:

LostMy65 08-17-2012 01:19 AM

Whoa, Black Betty - Bam-A-Lam

MikeS. 08-17-2012 01:32 AM

Great story and a sweet truck, thanks for sharing.

likaroc13 08-17-2012 01:34 AM

very cool story and great looking truck! and as others mentioned, thanks for your service :flagw:

i lived in P'cola for almost 3 years...hopefully you've found the cruise-in @ Burger King on 9-mile Rd....made some good friends there that i miss quite a bit...too bad we're not still there, or we could have a "Black Betty" get together :lol: ....i bought my '66 from a gentleman there in Pensacola, & he called her Betty...well, since the truck is black, i kept her name & now call her Black Betty...& since i don't have a working radio, my wife used to sing "Black Betty" to me when we were cruising around P'cola, lol

westcoast5 08-17-2012 01:40 AM

Awesome story and awesome truck
Posted via Mobile Device

LDO 08-17-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78f1hundo (Post 5542958)
What size are the wheels, looks nice, I love the ride height....

Thanks, they are 18s in the rear, 17s in the front with 3" drop springs. It is low but looks and rides great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5543223)
very cool story and great looking truck! and as others mentioned, thanks for your service :flagw:

i lived in P'cola for almost 3 years...hopefully you've found the cruise-in @ Burger King on 9-mile Rd....made some good friends there that i miss quite a bit...too bad we're not still there, or we could have a "Black Betty" get together :lol: ....i bought my '66 from a gentleman there in Pensacola, & he called her Betty...well, since the truck is black, i kept her name & now call her Black Betty...& since i don't have a working radio, my wife used to sing "Black Betty" to me when we were cruising around P'cola, lol

Yep, we ride out to the BK on Saturdays all the time and really enjoy it.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

70cst 08-17-2012 07:40 AM

Thanks for sharing and you do have a :c2: lookin truck :metal:

ChiefRocka 08-17-2012 09:33 AM

What a great story !

Nice lookin truck ..... Congrats on a great score !
Posted via Mobile Device

HeloCrewChief 08-17-2012 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Awesome truck. I was stationed at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville for 6 years. Glad you were able to get your truck. Your story brought back some good memories for me. Looked at your 57 build and it seems we have the same taste in valve covers/air cleaner. Use to roll around Fayetteville in this one-

Mad Rods 08-17-2012 07:00 PM

Nice truck!!
Posted via Mobile Device