The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Looking for a new Board..... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738979)

DieselFJ 05-30-2017 09:02 AM

Looking for a new Board.....

Does anyone know of a different board/venue for '72 Burban builds etc.... I was looking to get a feel for what I wanted to do with my project which included selling, but by thread got closed by the moderator just for the mention of selling it, basically pony up the cash or go away. Pretty disappointed with the board, they should take a look at how other boards are run, far more user friendly. :m5:

LockDoc 05-30-2017 11:41 AM

Re: Looking for a new Board.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFJ (Post 7955083)
Does anyone know of a different board/venue for '72 Burban builds etc.... I was looking to get a feel for what I wanted to do with my project which included selling, but by thread got closed by the moderator just for the mention of selling it, basically pony up the cash or go away. Pretty disappointed with the board, they should take a look at how other boards are run, far more user friendly. :m5:

Here is what you agreed to when you joined the forum. If you had read the rules at that time, (which you obviously didn't) you were given the chance to back out of the registration process if you didn't agree with them.... When you checked the "I agree" box that basically indicated that you had read the rules and agreed to them.

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click "here" to return to the forums index.

XIV. As of October 15th 2005 "subscribing" members will be the only ones permitted to post for sale and want to buy ads on any section of this site. All other rules of buying and selling still apply.

67-72chevytrucks.com, its administrators or staff are not responsible for any transactions on or off the forums. We will work hard to ensure you a smooth transaction, and help in the event you may need it, but all for sale and trade areas are buyer beware. Any persons who have misrepresented an item, lie about an item, fail to deliver, or are in violation of any of the rules will forfeit there subscription fees and be banned from 67-72chevytrucks.com.

So the rules I used to edit and close your thread are clearly stated in the above section of the rules and regulations. I sent you a PM and gave you a chance to become a "Premium" member before I edited and closed your thread. Membership is only $15 for 6 months. You could probably have all of your stuff sold in that time span. That is pretty cheap classified advertising to a large group of like minded viewers. If you chose to subscribe I will re-open your thread and you can post your stuff in the proper classified forum.

Craigslist & Facebook are two venues that come to mind for selling stuff but if you read comments on here about them, they have more than their share of problems..

Thanks,
LockDoc

DieselFJ 05-30-2017 12:24 PM

Assumptions, that is always a great way to respond to a conversation. Obviously there is a lot of grey area and I obviously interpreted it differently that it was written. Just looking for a board that is more in line with what I'm used to and what I feel is a more open environment. In my opinion the boards were for the members as a place to help keep these old vehicles on the road, this site seems to be more interested in padding their pockets with members dollars.

Just my 2cents.

LockDoc 05-30-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFJ (Post 7955263)
Assumptions, that is always a great way to respond to a conversation. Obviously there is a lot of grey area and I obviously interpreted it differently that it was written. Just looking for a board that is more in line with what I'm used to and what I feel is a more open environment. In my opinion the boards were for the members as a place to help keep these old vehicles on the road, this site seems to be more interested in padding their pockets with members dollars.

Just my 2cents.

That rule seems pretty clear to me.

Before the rules were changed on this back in 2005 there was a problem with non members selling stuff and after they got the money they would just disappear. The requirement for Premium Registration was implemented to protect the members who were buying parts and services from being ripped off.

It didn't cure it 100%, but it pretty much curtailed the problem.

Bottom line is, It's just a matter of what each individual chooses to do...

LockDoc

DieselFJ 05-30-2017 02:16 PM

I understand, there is always a reason, but a conversation about value in a thread is far different than posting in the For Sale section. I guess in the other communities I'm part of we know if a user only has 1 or 2 posts it's buyer beware so number of posts helps determine the risk associated with a good deal. I understand the rules, although I don't see the need. I'd still like to find a more user friendly board that is a little more open to conversations, heck I wasn't even 100% sure I was going to part with the project, just putting out the feelers, that's why it wasn't put up in the For Sale section.

Scott

CG 05-30-2017 05:06 PM

Hi everyone, I really dislike how you do things here, and we know the owners are just padding their pockets by asking for mountains of dough. So please tell me a better board to go to that has rules that suit me.

What it's worth posts quite often bring in people that want to buy your what's it worth item. Which leads us right back to why you have to pay a nominal fee. Sales end up happening behind the scenes, people get ripped off and everyone's mad at the board owners for letting it happen. Would this happen every time? No of course not. But I do appreciate the protection it offers

DieselFJ 05-30-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 7955474)
Hi everyone, I really dislike how you do things here, and we know the owners are just padding their pockets by asking for mountains of dough. So please tell me a better board to go to that has rules that suit me.

What it's worth posts quite often bring in people that want to buy your what's it worth item. Which leads us right back to why you have to pay a nominal fee. Sales end up happening behind the scenes, people get ripped off and everyone's mad at the board owners for letting it happen. Would this happen every time? No of course not. But I do appreciate the protection it offers

And I'm glad it works for others, just different than I'm used to and I felt that since I wasn't looking to sell, and just trying to get an idea due to the fact that I have been away for so long it was a little overkill. Everything in life is going this direction, pay to play.

LockDoc 05-30-2017 09:32 PM

-
Here is the actual response all moderators use when non supporting members post a WIW, WTB, WTT, or FS post or thread. It was written by the Administrators of the board.

-----------------------------------------
"Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help."
-----------------------------------------

You can ask what something is worth if you are looking to buy it, but not if you own it and are thinking about selling it.

LockDoc

mongocanfly 05-30-2017 11:34 PM

If you don't like the rules.. don't play the game...waylon jennings..

HO455 05-31-2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFJ (Post 7955366)
I understand, there is always a reason, but a conversation about value in a thread is far different than posting in the For Sale section. I guess in the other communities I'm part of we know if a user only has 1 or 2 posts it's buyer beware so number of posts helps determine the risk associated with a good deal. I understand the rules, although I don't see the need. I'd still like to find a more user friendly board that is a little more open to conversations, heck I wasn't even 100% sure I was going to part with the project, just putting out the feelers, that's why it wasn't put up in the For Sale section.

Scott

I guess I can't figure out why its a problem. Lots of information and encouragement on builds and repairs from great knowledgeably people. There are plenty of Craigslist postings not to mention the for sale listings you could refer to for where the market is. Plus the whole rest or the interweb full of Suburbans for sale. (However looking at all those would require some work on your part). So with thousands of dollars (if not tens of thousands) invested in a truck. You're quibbling over $15. Fifteen dollars that has become part of the reason this site is stable and well moderated. I suggest that you go start your own forum and then you can always have it your way.

flashed 05-31-2017 07:15 AM

HO455 ,Well said ,this is the BEST SITE on the web for our trucks and we have the best folks on board too .

hewittca 05-31-2017 08:21 AM

I also agree, HO455 pretty much said it all. I will add that if you were to listen to the C10 Talk interview with Josh Brady (who started the forum) you will see that they are not "lining their pockets" with our measly 15 bucks and that he has literally dedicated his career to this site. They invest quite a bit of that money back into the site through server space, keeping advertising limited, and moderating the board like hawks. As a result, this is perhaps the most well behaved, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable boards I have ever been to. You are not going to find another truck forum for this era of GM trucks with even a small fraction of the genuine users that this board has.

DieselFJ 05-31-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 7955761)
If you don't like the rules.. don't play the game...waylon jennings..

Your absolutely right, that's the reason for this post. :D

DieselFJ 05-31-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 7955893)
I also agree, HO455 pretty much said it all. I will add that if you were to listen to the C10 Talk interview with Josh Brady (who started the forum) you will see that they are not "lining their pockets" with our measly 15 bucks and that he has literally dedicated his career to this site. They invest quite a bit of that money back into the site through server space, keeping advertising limited, and moderating the board like hawks. As a result, this is perhaps the most well behaved, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable boards I have ever been to. You are not going to find another truck forum for this era of GM trucks with even a small fraction of the genuine users that this board has.

That's good to know, I guess I don't have a lot of other options for exposure if I want to sell it though a board. I was hoping, if I were to sell it, to give someone on here a chance to buy it. I purchased it here and I believe it is a solid start. I was going to try and avoid eBay, but we'll see. Heck, maybe I'll just find the time to do the project, although my thread is closed now. :D

mongocanfly 05-31-2017 12:08 PM

Well said hewittca...I didnt subscribe when I first joined but after being a member for a while I realized what a wealth of information this site provides...and the price of admission was only a blip on the ol credit card..but if your still wanting to sell and not join you shouldn't have much problem selling elsewhere as the 67-72 style trucks are still in high demand..

hewittca 05-31-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFJ (Post 7956002)
That's good to know, I guess I don't have a lot of other options for exposure if I want to sell it though a board. I was hoping, if I were to sell it, to give someone on here a chance to buy it. I purchased it here and I believe it is a solid start. I was going to try and avoid eBay, but we'll see. Heck, maybe I'll just find the time to do the project, although my thread is closed now. :D

So start up another thread, just don't mention the S word again unless you become a supporting member :lol:. I checked out your thread, looked like you were only a few posts into it and it was a while before you updated it last. You could put together a recap to start the thread and then keep it going from there. I usually like the condensed version of build threads anyway, unless I'm hunting for an answer on a specific question.

LockDoc 05-31-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFJ (Post 7956002)

If you give me permission to clean it up, I will open your thread back up.....

LockDoc

DieselFJ 06-01-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7956485)
If you give me permission to clean it up, I will open your thread back up.....

LockDoc

Sure, I'll just be more careful when posting. I probably won't hit the thread for another 6 months or so since I have to complete a diesel swap and some paint work on an FJ62, then decide if I will finish a 40 series before the Suburban, but it'll be good to be able to pick up where the thread is currently.

Thanks

raggedjim 06-01-2017 09:21 AM

I've been on this board since 2002 and there are other truck boards but the amount of information and helpfulness on this board makes it the one that I stick with. Some years I have let my subscription lapse, other years I know I'll need to sell some stuff so I subscribe. Either way, I have access to all the information for free.

Good luck with your project, Rg

CG 06-01-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFJ (Post 7956701)
Sure, I'll just be more careful when posting. I probably won't hit the thread for another 6 months or so since I have to complete a diesel swap and some paint work on an FJ62, then decide if I will finish a 40 series before the Suburban, but it'll be good to be able to pick up where the thread is currently.

Thanks

Do you have a build thread in Alternate Tinkerings part of the board for your FJ? I know a lot of guys on this board really love those things.

DieselFJ 06-01-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 7956742)
Do you have a build thread in Alternate Tinkerings part of the board for your FJ? I know a lot of guys on this board really love those things.

I have a thread over on Ih8mud.com, the link is below. I'm not very good at build threads, but I'm trying to be a little better just to give back to the community since I have been such a huge recipient.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/4bd...9-fj62.946011/

LockDoc 06-01-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFJ (Post 7956701)

Thanks

Opened the original thread back up so you can continue your build if you want. I am checking to see if I can get the deleted post remnants removed to clean it up.....

Thanks,
LockDoc

DieselFJ 06-02-2017 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7956908)
Opened the original thread back up so you can continue your build if you want. I am checking to see if I can get the deleted post remnants removed to clean it up.....

Thanks,
LockDoc

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device