The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My First (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=371235)

heymoe 11-10-2009 01:40 PM

My First

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of our 67 SWB small window build. This is our first build and so far we are loving every minute of it.
Thanks to all the great posts on here we are making some progress.

heymoe 11-10-2009 01:41 PM

Re: My First

5 Attachment(s)
More

heymoe 11-10-2009 01:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more

heymoe 11-10-2009 01:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So far we have every thing taken down and are collecting parts for the rebuild. We will be getting our suspension parts from Nathan at Porter Built.

oldblue1968chevy 11-10-2009 03:02 PM

nice you work fast wats plan

Shon 11-10-2009 03:42 PM

not real fast, the first pix are from 04 & 07 :lol:

heymoe 11-10-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy (Post 3612475)
nice you work fast wats plan

We are going at a steady pace. The dates on the pics are all wrong. My camera keeps resetting it's self so it becomes a pain. I purchased the truck in early Feb. this year from a guy in Alabama. So we have had a few months to play with it.

My son and I have decided on a pro-touring look for the truck. We are looking at keeping the stock lines and drip rail, door handles etc. We want a nice handling ride that will corner like a sports car when we want but have a nice ride height for cruising around town.

I want to go with a big block or maybe even convert it over to a 6.0L out of a wrecked late model truck.
Either way I want a nice cam to let the ground shake when you cruise by with frame draggin:metal::metal:

heymoe 11-10-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shon (Post 3612556)
not real fast, the first pix are from 04 & 07 :lol:

I know thats why I took the other photos. My son is giving me hard time too.
It's not about how long it takes but how much fun you have and if you finished it... Right

Shon 11-10-2009 04:02 PM

So true!
cant wait till mine are slightly older to help more.

heymoe 11-10-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shon (Post 3612606)
So true!
cant wait till mine are slightly older to help more.

It's a great thing to have my son help me. He is 11 and is willing to do whatever I ask. We started a journal to track our progress and my girlfriend and daughter are scrap booking the whole thing as well.

It makes it nice when everyone is involved.

Shon 11-10-2009 04:13 PM

awesome!
I have a pic of my oldest at like 2 YO 'helping' me on my Z28, fast forward to the 2nd child at about 2 YO he is helping and he just so happens to have the same outfit on as the oldest did...that is cool!

heymoe 01-06-2010 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New parts!!! We got our complete Air Ride suspension for christmas:metal:
Starting the frame work this week.

C20-67_N_MO 01-06-2010 06:19 PM

Very cool!

That suspension setup looks to be a good setup.

Please show us pictures are you are installing!

Good Luck.

sgaylord 01-06-2010 06:40 PM

Sweet deal, isn't Santa great!

heymoe 01-06-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C20-67_N_MO (Post 3714645)
Very cool!

That suspension setup looks to be a good setup.

Please show us pictures are you are installing!

Good Luck.

I will post after I get everything done. I hope all goes smoothly so wish us luck!

heymoe 01-06-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgaylord (Post 3714688)
Sweet deal, isn't Santa great!

Santa brought me a bunch but his wallet is allot lighter. I also have a 68 cab, SWB bed, Fenders, Doors, and a bunch of other good rust free parts.
After we get our build done I will have a bunch of parts for sale. So far I have collected a 67 SWB from Alabama, 68 rust free from Texas, and a 71 LWB from Ohio. I may have enough left over to make another SWB!!
I also just made an order to PorterBuilt for the rear crossmember, trailing arms and panhard bar.

I can't wait to get wrenching!

wancosc356 01-06-2010 10:25 PM

Nice progress on the truck! You gonna murder it out like the tahoe?

heymoe 01-19-2010 08:08 AM

Ok... I need some help guys. I am at crossroads on what I should do with the front end of my truck.

Should I go with tubular upper and lower A arms or leave them stock? If I go with tubulars what do you recommend as far as supplier?
CCP, Porterbuilt, ART. I am interested in the PB but I would like some opinions.

Thanks Guys

heymoe 01-19-2010 08:29 AM

This weekend I picked up a so called rust free cab so I didn't have to repair the rust issues on my 67 small window. Well I ripped out the carpet and found the new rockers were just slapped on over top the rusted backing plate. There is almost 1/2" of filler to align rockers with the doors. After I found this I broke out the Tiger Paw discs and went to town on every area I knew could have issues. Yep you guessed it.... Covered in cancer everywhere I turned. I felt so sick to my stomach that I had to just push the cab in the garage and just forget about it for a while.

My dilemma is do I use my original cab small window with rust on the window channel,both floors, rockers, blower area and kick panels or use the big window 68 cab and replace the like except the window trim is good and the blower area is ok.
Next issue, I do not have any experience in doing the metal work. I am eager to learn it but should I even attempt this or should I farm it out to someone with experience?

Looking for some advice if anyone has any to offer.

wancosc356 01-19-2010 10:48 AM

As far as your first question, when I build my suspension I am going with PB. No other considerations.

That's a bummer about the "new rust free" cab. From what I understand, is that the window frame and firewall rust is a pain. They say that even though you may think get it all out, you may have some show up again. Most guys recommend replacing the entire roof if you have that problem around the window frame. I personally think you are better off using the "new" cab.

You also have to ask yourself if you want a small window or big window too. That is gonna be your personal preference. And also, if you care that you have a 68 cab or the original 67 cab. And the paperwork matching up and whatnot.

I too have no experience in metal work but I am eager to learn how to also. When I start to do my metal work, Im gonna try it myself. You just gotta practice first and then take your time and measure correctly. I mean, the worst that could happen is that you blow through the sheet metal and have to have someone fix it. I say give it a try.

Just my $0.02, for what it's worth.

heymoe 01-19-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wancosc356 (Post 3742577)
As far as your first question, when I build my suspension I am going with PB. No other considerations.

That's a bummer about the "new rust free" cab. From what I understand, is that the window frame and firewall rust is a pain. They say that even though you may think get it all out, you may have some show up again. Most guys recommend replacing the entire roof if you have that problem around the window frame. I personally think you are better off using the "new" cab.

You also have to ask yourself if you want a small window or big window too. That is gonna be your personal preference. And also, if you care that you have a 68 cab or the original 67 cab. And the paperwork matching up and whatnot.

I too have no experience in metal work but I am eager to learn how to also. When I start to do my metal work, Im gonna try it myself. You just gotta practice first and then take your time and measure correctly. I mean, the worst that could happen is that you blow through the sheet metal and have to have someone fix it. I say give it a try.

Just my $0.02, for what it's worth.

I would really like to learn how so I do not have to pay someone. I just wish I knew someone that has done it before to guide me along a bit. I really like the large window so I think I want to keep this cab unless I come across a better one for cheap $.

Anyone live close that could give me some pointers and schooling?

wancosc356 01-19-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heymoe (Post 3742619)
I would really like to learn how so I do not have to pay someone. I just wish I knew someone that has done it before to guide me along a bit. I really like the large window so I think I want to keep this cab unless I come across a better one for cheap $.

Anyone live close that could give me some pointers and schooling?

That's how I feel. And then when you are done, you have a welder in the garage and extra money in your pocket. It will be a big help to find someone to guide you. I think you are gonna be better off with the 68 cab, unless you find a better one. Good luck man!

heymoe 01-19-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heymoe (Post 3742419)
Ok... I need some help guys. I am at crossroads on what I should do with the front end of my truck.

Should I go with tubular upper and lower A arms or leave them stock? If I go with tubulars what do you recommend as far as supplier?
CCP, Porterbuilt, ART. I am interested in the PB but I would like some opinions.

Thanks Guys

Anyone else have an opinion?

heymoe 02-16-2010 01:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Update as of 2.16.10 Things are going rather slow due to the weather but here is what I have done so far.
The frame is back from the painter and I have received my Porterbuilt suspension parts. I will use Nate for all future projects just for the simple fact he goes out of his way to make things go smooth. The craftsmanship is second to none.
Cab is getting new rockers and cab corners put in and I should have it back by the end of next week. Things are starting to take shape and has given me a new boost to push this project along.

heymoe 02-16-2010 01:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some more