The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Removing the heater box cover questions? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=677280)

In The Ten Ring 07-22-2015 11:25 AM

Removing the heater box cover questions?

While I have the front end off my truck, it may be the best time to have a look into my heater core. Is there anything I need to look out for or be aware of?

F.A.A.benny 07-22-2015 11:32 AM

Re: Removing the heater box cover questions?

check to make sure it doesn't leak. Id probably just replace now cause it doesn't come out very easy with everything in place. Check leaves and crap on the inside of the box and look to see that its not rusted on the back metal plate.

michael bustamante 07-22-2015 11:45 AM

also you might want to replace the blower motor seal, and drop a couple drops of oil in the motor . if the trucks been sitting awhile look for mouse nests too. and blow air into the inside assembly, in case theres any mouse raisins in there. i actually took my inside assy off tore it apart and cleand the heck out of it. huge difference.

67chevemall 07-22-2015 12:47 PM

Paint, oil, and clean, assemble. If the heater core looks ruff, get a new one.
Once the hood is on it is a pain to go backwards.

57taskforce 07-22-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael bustamante (Post 7250172)
also you might want to replace the blower motor seal, and drop a couple drops of oil in the motor . if the trucks been sitting awhile look for mouse nests too. and blow air into the inside assembly, in case theres any mouse raisins in there. i actually took my inside assy off tore it apart and cleand the heck out of it. huge difference.

I did the same to mine. Took the outside and inside box and cleaned all the componets except motor in the bathtub with dish soap. Its amazing how much dirt and grime can get in there... Word to the wise i did this when my woman wasnt home. She wouldnt have like it much!

F.A.A.benny 07-22-2015 01:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is one I did recently

hdff 07-23-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.A.A.benny (Post 7250295)
Here is one I did recently

looks sweet! do you refurbish the evaparator side also? i need to pull mine and have the pOA reset for 134a and everything cleaned and checked. i know mt heated core needs to be replaced. a big job i am not looking forward to...

centuryhouse 07-24-2015 12:01 AM

Is there a 'how to' for this anywhere? I'm new to these trucks, but since the PO of my new truck cut the heater core hoses, removed the blower duct-work, etc., I can see I have a lot of work ahead of me.

summitflier 07-24-2015 12:02 AM

subscribed

In The Ten Ring 07-24-2015 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 7250271)
I did the same to mine. Took the outside and inside box and cleaned all the componets except motor in the bathtub with dish soap. Its amazing how much dirt and grime can get in there... Word to the wise i did this when my woman wasnt home. She wouldnt have like it much!

The only women in my house are on an hourly rate. :lol:

I'm (so far) a life-long bachelor and no, I do not hire prostitutes, (not yet anyway). :lol:

F.A.A.benny 07-24-2015 04:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by centuryhouse (Post 7251966)
Is there a 'how to' for this anywhere? I'm new to these trucks, but since the PO of my new truck cut the heater core hoses, removed the blower duct-work, etc., I can see I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Id get an assembly manual but if you want. LMC online catalog has some diagrams that could be useful. Or maybe someone on here as posted some.

F.A.A.benny 07-24-2015 04:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hdff (Post 7251957)
looks sweet! do you refurbish the evaparator side also? i need to pull mine and have the pOA reset for 134a and everything cleaned and checked. i know mt heated core needs to be replaced. a big job i am not looking forward to...

Yea Ive done those also.

bobvilla67 07-24-2015 08:06 AM

Nice work Benny. Will be sending you mine to rebuild soon.

57taskforce 07-24-2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7252039)
The only women in my house are on an hourly rate. :lol:

I'm (so far) a life-long bachelor and no, I do not hire prostitutes, (not yet anyway). :lol:

Hahaha well youve got it made with getting stuff done to the old iron. As much as I love my wife, and believe I really do, my trucks would have been done a long time ago without all the honey-dos!

centuryhouse 07-24-2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.A.A.benny (Post 7252065)
Id get an assembly manual but if you want. LMC online catalog has some diagrams that could be useful. Or maybe someone on here as posted some.

That's helpful - thanks for posting that!

In The Ten Ring 07-24-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 7252153)
Hahaha well youve got it made with getting stuff done to the old iron. As much as I love my wife, and believe I really do, my trucks would have been done a long time ago without all the honey-dos!

I hear ya man. I just never found a gal I could last more than a few months with.

It is nice though being able to put truck parts in my kitchen and living rooms and never have to ask permission where I am going.

F.A.A.benny 07-25-2015 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7252770)
I hear ya man. I just never found a gal I could last more than a few months with.

It is nice though being able to put truck parts in my kitchen and living rooms and never have to ask permission where I am going.

Im the same dam way.