The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How close is a sun faded "Medium Red" to "Hugger Orange"? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=725977)

SoCoC10 12-29-2016 02:44 PM

How close is a sun faded "Medium Red" to "Hugger Orange"?

I have a 72 C10 that says "Medium Red" on the SPID and needs at least an exterior paint job. We just completed rust repair in the common areas but paint inside of the cab on the doors and on dash are in excellent shape. All of the areas just mentioned appear to have sun faded to orange.

My fear is I buy new "Medium Red" paint, paint the exterior of the truck and the new paint will be more red than the sun faded original paint.

How close is the sun faded "Medium Red" to "Hugger Orange"? Has anyone repainted a "Light Red" or "Medium Red" truck "Hugger Orange"?

special-K 12-29-2016 05:59 PM

Re: How close is a sun faded "Medium Red" to "Hugger Orange"?

You need to see lots of pictures so you can decide. I do see the orange in the Light Red and Hugger Orange was also called Red Orange. It's more orange than Light Red and Light Red is more red. I suppose they could criss-cross in the spectrum once one has faded. But, my thought here is why not bring the interior paint back and paint exterior original color? How faded can an interior be? I've seen some chalky looking paint brought back to shiny new.

71 super 12-29-2016 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my 71 super in light red. It was color matched to the inside of the glove box paint using both paint code and the original paint using depont scan system

71 super 12-29-2016 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More

71 super 12-29-2016 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Left side

71 super 12-29-2016 10:08 PM

I have a hugger orange and white 70 CST as well and the Orange is definitely a different color than the light red but not much. Don't have a picture of it currently but it is an original paint truck and the orange is chevy engine red/orange if that helps.

71 super 12-29-2016 10:10 PM

More

71 super 12-29-2016 10:10 PM

Here is my 71 super in light red. It was color matched to the inside of the glove box paint using both paint code and the original paint using depont scan system

SoCoC10 12-29-2016 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm liking the looks of this truck. Orange but not too much orange with the white roof and the black lower mounding. (Doesn't hurt that the truck has great stance either.) My truck has the "Parchment" white visors, door panels and bench seat upholstery striking against the new black dash pad and black ACC carpet kit.

special-K 12-30-2016 12:30 AM

I think the Hugger Orange will be farther off than the combination of original interior vs new exterior. And, as Super did, you can have the interior scanned to match. But, why not polish/buff that interior back to it's original glory if it is that faded?

BLT gmc 12-30-2016 10:36 AM

FWIW- My family and friends always call my medium red truck orange. They now do it to get my goat.
Posted via Mobile Device

SoCoC10 12-30-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7808955)
I think the Hugger Orange will be farther off than the combination of original interior vs new exterior. And, as Super did, you can have the interior scanned to match. But, why not polish/buff that interior back to it's original glory if it is that faded?

special-K the dash, doors, and inside cab areas are not dull or chalky just orange. The red has faded out of it and only the orange remains.

I think I'm going to pull the glove box door and have my local PPG paint store do a color match on it. I'd really like to go with a stock color just in case I need more of it down the road. Think I'll take a look at the PPG formulas for Hugger Orange and Medium Red and end up somewhere between the two.

Joesjunk 12-30-2016 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my original paint "light red" 71, its very orange looking. It's in storage right now, parked next to an original paint hugger orange truck. They are very close to the same looking. I'll grab a pic next week of them together.

Joesjunk 12-30-2016 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Original hugger orange paint

Ironangel 12-31-2016 08:49 AM

Many paint shops and parts stores have a device that scans the paint and downloads the info into the computerized mixer to match unknown or faded paint codes... Mine is " red orange" https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9f&oe=58EAEE0F

James the III 12-31-2016 09:05 AM

if you are painting it..
I'd take your truck to the paint suppler and have them take a photo of the interior paint with the paint camera and mix to match..

if a shop is painting, have them do the same

SoCoC10 01-04-2017 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is both PPG paint color formulas 514 Red or "Medium Red" and 516 Tangier Orange or "Orange". You can see they are VERY different formulas, so much for using the "Medium Red" formula and not adding as much red.

I left them my glove box door to color match.

ctsandb 01-05-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLT gmc (Post 7809188)
FWIW- My family and friends always call my medium red truck orange. They now do it to get my goat.
Posted via Mobile Device

My family does the same to me with my light red truck! Jerks! :)

Actually I've just given in and find myself calling it orange....

Joesjunk 01-05-2017 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCoC10 (Post 7815110)
Here is both PPG paint color formulas 514 Red or "Medium Red" and 516 Tangier Orange or "Orange". You can see they are VERY different formulas, so much for using the "Medium Red" formula and not adding as much red.

I left them my glove box door to color match.

514 is called light red in 71, and medium red in 72, same color though. 524 is the code for hugger orange, called "red-orange" on some spids. The 516 code is very orange. Here is 524 hugger on the left, and 516 orange on the right. These are both original paint

SoCoC10 01-05-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joesjunk (Post 7815515)
514 is called light red in 71, and medium red in 72, same color though. 524 is the code for hugger orange, called "red-orange" on some spids. The 516 code is very orange. Here is 524 hugger on the left, and 516 orange on the right. These are both original paint

WHAT!? The truck on the left is Hugger Orange? Are you sure? WOW! it looks really red.

Glad I'm leaving the color up to the pros. They are matching the outside face of the glove box. Definitely more of an orange after the sun fade.

Joesjunk 01-05-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCoC10 (Post 7815555)
WHAT!? The truck on the left is Hugger Orange? Are you sure? WOW! it looks really red.

Glad I'm leaving the color up to the pros. They are matching the outside face of the glove box. Definitely more of an orange after the sun fade.

The truck on the left is a very nice low mile, garage kept truck with 100% factory hugger orange paint. It does look very red next to the 516 orange truck. But by its self its a little more orange. The 514 and 524 colors are pretty close, but the 516 it so much different. The 514 color fresh is a bit more red looking.

Joesjunk 01-05-2017 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what factory hugger orange looks like. The truck was built 9/70, its a early built '71. This truck is very well preserved :)

Ignore the wheels, it's getting white wheels and hub caps in a few weeks

Joesjunk 01-05-2017 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a close up

Sicklajoie 01-05-2017 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic of a Hugger Orange truck. Mine.

samkost 01-05-2017 07:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My recent paint job in 524 Hugger Orange / Red Orange.