The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fantom Works - rip off artist (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=658440)

riz 01-31-2015 03:26 PM

Fantom Works - rip off artist

Just watching Fantom Works and I gotta say this guy pisses me off.......he always gets the persons car into his shop and once he tears into it a bit then hits the owners with the complete restoration story.....the owner feels pressure to move forward since their vehicle isn't able to drive out and gets slammed with a $100,000 bill. I see it show after show.....pressure and control to get the owner to do way more than they want to. The guy is a weasel !

Just my opinion but he's a pompous, pressure/forceful, unethical ass.

RIZ

83swb 01-31-2015 04:00 PM

Re: Fantom Works - rip off artist

I stopped watching that show. What pissed me off was listening to him saying that they do everything top-notch and going on about what had been done wrong, THEN noticing something that THEY did wrong.

I think it was a 50's Chevy pickup that they got in with door gap issues due to a hackjob of a floor replacement. Then they totally butchered the floor instead of just cutting out the old, bracing the cab, and putting in new pans.

JIMs70GMC 01-31-2015 09:01 PM

Unfortunately I live here near them. The dude is a real dick.

UKNOWME 01-31-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMs70GMC (Post 7028304)
Unfortunately I live here near them. The dude is a real dick.

Since you're closet we nominate you to go give him a piece of your mind! :cong:

68Timber 01-31-2015 10:21 PM

I watched an episode this week with my sons where he built a Mustang for a guy that was supposedly a good friend and the dude ended up not taking possession of it.

andrewmp6 02-01-2015 03:33 AM

I never heard of them,What channel is it on?

Gregski 02-01-2015 04:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the show, I agree I don't like the steep prices, I think a lot of the people that come in there have deep pockets, the episode that almost made me toss a brick at the TV was where the young lady brings in her $500 dollar motorcycle and gets it modified from a (desirable) shaft drive to a (dime a dozen) chain drive, but she gets her mono shock, the bill is like $7K grand and she likes it cause she thought it would be way more like $20K or cost of a car she says, how clueless is that, why spend that much money on a cheap bike, she should have went in there with a proper donor also, sorry I am ranting but the episode hit a nerve - and the final result looked like something a freshman could have made in high school metal shop, the seat looked awful - have any of you seen it?

suxtobu65 02-01-2015 11:43 AM

I watched a few episodes. Started seeing patterns of him ripping people off. The one that hit a nerve with me, was the military guys impala. He took advantage of his mother and charged her over 100k for 40k worth of work.. Now "fakeworks" is on my blocked list.

fine69 02-01-2015 11:44 AM

Never heard of this show....and glad i dont have cable to watch it.

cdowns 02-01-2015 12:08 PM

My cable has alot of different channels if i dont like what is on i just turn the channel to one that thrills me if nothing else i go to the dvr if not there i go to first run movies

Oregoon 02-01-2015 12:22 PM

This is why I read books.

meatwagon83 02-01-2015 12:45 PM

my car show is in the garage, and me and my son are the stars!! although we do watch roadkill

68shortwide 02-01-2015 08:46 PM

Meh. They're supposedly top notch but they turn out run of the mill stuff. Hell my dad does more custom streetrod stuff and doesn't get recognition. Discovery should make a weekly show featuring custom shops around the country. Different shop every week. I'd watch it. The only show I really like is B*tchin Rides. But that's just what I'm into. I kinda like the rat rod show in Vegas also.

JIMs70GMC 02-01-2015 09:13 PM

It's on Velocity.

lilpoindexter 02-01-2015 11:58 PM

Yeah...i don't like that show because that guy is a douche. I don't like Chasing Classic Cars either, because I dont like the main character either...
My favorite show on the chanel is Wheeler Dealers...Ed China rules:metal:

carfanatic63 02-02-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilpoindexter (Post 7030087)
Yeah...i don't like that show because that guy is a douche. I don't like Chasing Classic Cars either, because I dont like the main character either...

If Ed China was the only guy on this show I would be fine with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatwagon83 (Post 7029164)
my car show is in the garage, and me and my son are the stars!! although we do watch roadkill

Roadkill rules!!

el_fantasma 08-18-2017 12:47 AM

They rebuilt the front end on a 67 K10 last night. Pretty interesting. Might have been a rerun.

In The Ten Ring 08-18-2017 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riz (Post 7027945)
Just watching Fantom Works and I gotta say this guy pisses me off.......he always gets the persons car into his shop and once he tears into it a bit then hits the owners with the complete restoration story.....the owner feels pressure to move forward since their vehicle isn't able to drive out and gets slammed with a $100,000 bill. I see it show after show.....pressure and control to get the owner to do way more than they want to. The guy is a weasel !

Just my opinion but he's a pompous, pressure/forceful, unethical ass.

RIZ

I had a shop try that on me once. What did I do? 90 days county plus "anger management" classes WHICH ARE A COMPLETE FREAKING WASTE OF TIME!!!! :devil:

:lol:

shp4man 08-18-2017 11:01 AM

Human nature is a funny thing. We see it every day on Craigslist, where delusional sellers try to get ridiculous prices, but as buyers make fun of delusionals along with everybody else.
I've watched that show and agree the prices are high, but the guy has to keep the doors open and make payroll.
Besides, you guys know how badly a previous owner's cheap or incompetent repairs can foul up a restoration. This guy's shop deals with that crap every day.
That's the funnyest part of the show to me- some the stupid crap sellers tell people that buy the cars and stupid crap other "restoration" shops do.

old Rusty C10 08-18-2017 05:59 PM

frankly most of the shows stink id love seeing more hands on and how to stuff take one car and build it over a season and show tricks to make certain things go easier or tech tips that work... most of the guys have attitudes or theres silly junk going on... then again most tv is garbage anyway

dieseldawg142 08-18-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 (Post 8019735)
then again most tv is garbage anyway

:clap::clap::clap:....yep

Coley 08-18-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatwagon83 (Post 7029164)

Bingo.
...the great thing about roadkill that is actual and real world....is their failures (...and their often minimal budget).
90% of the other classic/modify/build shows....are all tailored to showing a finished final product with a minimum amount of trouble regardless of parts cost, labour, paint...the usual smokescreen.
That simply is not....ever real in 99% of the cases....so why BS everybody.

Here is to Roadkill!!...bring on the reality, the fun and the failures..oh..and 'the budget', because this always a factor for these guys....that's real life right there....

all good
Coley:chevy:

my56chevytruck 08-18-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilpoindexter (Post 7030087)

funny, I was talking to a friend today and we discussed this very topic. I don't like Fantom Works, Nor Chasing Classic "Foreign" Cars and don't like Graveyard Cars. This guy is annoying
My top choices are RoadKill and and OVERHAULIN with Chip Foose. Top notch work and a top notch person.

special-K 08-18-2017 08:15 PM

Roadkill isn't a business. They build stuff for fun just like us. That's why it's cool...even though they are nerds. That just makes it even more fun. I watch that on YouTube some. I don't waste my time with so called reality TV. I never do now, but all my life I've dropped by shops and hung out. That was my reality TV. My buddy Jeff's shop had the sign, "If you have nothing better to do, go do it somewhere else". But I could tell I didn't overstay my welcome. Now when I see him he asks why I never stop by. I don't know how I made enough money and had the time back then.

78chevstepside 08-19-2017 11:11 AM

I happen to like the show . They always tell you the man hours and parts cost . Thinking I dont work for free why should anyone else . Thinking the employees must not get paid well. I have done the math in man hours . Thinking he charges less the 50 dollars and hour . Chevrolet charges let's say hundred dollars a hour . Fantom seems to be about cars . Not a drama like other car shows .