The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   If you had to buy an aftermarket tailgate .... ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=761910)

OldChevy1954 04-16-2018 11:38 AM

If you had to buy an aftermarket tailgate .... ?

If you had to buy an aftermarket tailgate, what company is making the 'best', thickest steel gate with Chevy lettering on it?

Thanks.

Ironhorse 04-16-2018 11:48 AM

Re: If you had to buy an aftermarket tailgate .... ?

Not sure what "company" furnishes them but when I bought my after market gate I purchased from GMC Paul. I opted for the plain, no lettering styled gate but he also carried the lettered gate. Couple hundred difference price wise and at the time funds were running low with the restore. Still liking the plain no lettering but the lettered gate was a thought. Holding up VERY well, have sat on it, stood on it, feels very solid and the body guy had good things to say about the fit. GMC Paul has first rate customer service to boot. Have bought several parts from him, all fit as needed with no issues. Just my $0.02 :chevy:

Also is a supporting member here who KNOWS these trucks.

SIXTY9 04-16-2018 11:57 AM

I got mine from http://www.nsanehotrodz.com/, great customer service and very pleased with the fit. Also plane no lettering.

pappy 2 04-16-2018 12:03 PM

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc. 507-723-2843 in Minn. They stock the best choice parts

Willys_MB 04-16-2018 01:09 PM

Honestly I bought mine (unlettered) from rock auto and I haven't had any problems with it. I use it as a Home Depot truck and it holds up great. I went with them because I needed a tailgate on the cheap and I was desperate. I think it only ran me about $250-300 for all the parts. It fit in perfectly, works great, and looks like it's always been there. It even matches my black primer truck! :lol:

beadblaster 04-16-2018 01:09 PM

I got mine from summit. Excellent quality,fit perfect,free shipping

special-K 04-16-2018 02:54 PM

You never know when a dealer might switch brands. The main thing you need to know is if they sell KeyParts.

my56chevytruck 04-16-2018 03:01 PM

although mine is a 56, I bought a tailgate from Classic Parts, with the chevrolet lettering. Great part and very well built.

RTHarvey 04-16-2018 03:06 PM

So...looking at these a bit, does anyone know why the lettered ones cost almost twice as much? Is that all licensing fees to GM? Or?

OldChevy1954 04-16-2018 03:12 PM

How about AMD ... are they comparable to Key Parts?

darrellyates 04-16-2018 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I did buy an aftermarket tailgate. I'm one of those who doesn't really believe there is that much difference, and you're going to work whatever you wind up with...

I got mine at Southern Kentucky Classics in Bowling Green. They are close. They advertise theirs as "same gauge steel" as factory. I don't know if that's actually true or not, but it fits very nicely.

I did use an old rusty factory tail gate for the panel to fill the outer hole for the relocation of the handle kit. Was more than a little tight getting everything hooked up, but was able to do it. Special thanks to instructions and ideas found right here on this website on "how-to" for this modification.

I like it anyway...

darrellyates 04-16-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTHarvey (Post 8239918)
So...looking at these a bit, does anyone know why the lettered ones cost almost twice as much? Is that all licensing fees to GM? Or?

Yes. You have to pay GM. And, you have to make it meet their specifications (metal gauge etc...). Or, so I've been told.

Jeff's72C10* 04-16-2018 05:01 PM

I've seen them in the LMC Truck catalog. Not sure of the quality of LMC parts.

OldChevy1954 04-16-2018 06:39 PM

I can get AMD from Jeg's with free shipping. Was wondering if any of you guys heard any feedback on AMD?

CC69Rat 04-16-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldChevy1954 (Post 8240067)
I can get AMD from Jeg's with free shipping. Was wondering if any of you guys heard any feedback on AMD?

AMD parts on my 68. Doors and bed sides. I was her pleased with the fit, finish, and quality.

Montierth 04-17-2018 02:38 AM

How are you guys getting free shipping from Jegs and Summit? They both say free shipping but charge a $99 truck freight fee.

BCOWANWHEELS 04-17-2018 02:44 AM

I,d love to see the pic,s. of the tail gate mod on that gold n white truck.

darrellyates 04-17-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS (Post 8240432)
I,d love to see the pic,s. of the tail gate mod on that gold n white truck.

Use the search engine on this site. Enter "tailgate handle relocation"... It's "LFD's Tailgate Handle Relocation"... Was the first one that popped up when I did the search. I didn't take pictures of the actual process, as it's documented on this site already. Just really have the "after" pictures. I have some in primer, but really not any different from what's already on this site.

I simply followed the instructions as already posted. I did take time to paint everything inside with POR 15, and sprayed some cavity wax, but I don't really think that was necessary. The only additional thing I'll add is to hook up your release rods prior to drilling the holes for the mounting plate (kit came from Mar-K in Oklahoma).

Speaking of relocation kit, I think about everybody who sells them sells the kit from Mar-K. There may be others, but this is the industry "standard" kit.

The other thing I did was use a trim piece from the bottom edge of the tailgate so I have a one-piece across the top. Have to use a dremel tool and reshape the end of the aluminum trim piece to get it tight to the curve of the tailgate, but no real big deal there either.

Again, I did nothing special or different from what is already here, it's where I copied what I did...

Thanks!!

beadblaster 04-17-2018 09:26 AM

I just put a amd 1971 tailgate in my cart on Jegs and got free shipping. When I ordered mine it was shipped standard ups.