The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   LED tail light issue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=787683)

72 GMC C1500 05-28-2019 07:42 PM

LED tail light issue

I recently bought and installed some LED tail lights and reverse lights. The brakes light up fine, but with the brakes engaged, when I put the turn signal on, that light goes out, no blinking, just out, the other one stays on. I've installed an led flasher. I checked other posts, but couldn't find any with the same issue. Any ideas? I appreciate the help!

dmjlambert 05-28-2019 08:06 PM

Re: LED tail light issue

You could try installing load resistors and see if that helps. That is probably the approach I would take, so I could just use a regular flasher module.

VetteVet 05-29-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 GMC C1500 (Post 8533222)
I recently bought and installed some LED tail lights and reverse lights. The brakes light up fine, but with the brakes engaged, when I put the turn signal on, that light goes out, no blinking, just out, the other one stays on. I've installed an led flasher. I checked other posts, but couldn't find any with the same issue. Any ideas? I appreciate the help!

Do the turn signals work with the brakes not engaged?
The turn signal switches are designed to turn off the brake light on the side that
is selected for the turn so that the turn signal can be seen, while leaving the other brake light illuminated. If neither light is on on the right while turning right or if neither light is on while turning left, I would suspect a bad turn signal switch.

72 GMC C1500 05-29-2019 06:55 AM

Thank you both for your quick replies. VetteVet, forgive my ignorance, but is the turn signal switch the same as the flasher that plugs into the fuse box or is there something else I'm missing. This one is new, but I'll order another and give it a try. Seems like culprit. Thanks again!

72 GMC C1500 05-29-2019 07:26 AM

And to answer your question, they don't blink at all, with or without the brakes on. Thanks

Rickysnickers 05-29-2019 10:07 AM

If you end up needing a new relay, try these, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced my brake lights with LEDs and had the fast blink issue. These solved it. Also, if your hazard lights are on a separate circuit, you'll need one of these for the hazard lights as well then.

72 GMC C1500 05-29-2019 12:05 PM

Thanks for the heads up. This is the same one I have. Maybe I got a faulty one.

72 GMC C1500 06-03-2019 12:15 PM

Update-I ordered a new flasher and got it installed...no change. Now here's where I feel like a complete idiot. I started the truck up this weekend and gave it a try and the blinkers work! Apparently the truck needs to be running in order for the blinkers to work. :dohh: Is this typical?

67 Burb 06-03-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 GMC C1500 (Post 8536158)
Update-I ordered a new flasher and got it installed...no change. Now here's where I feel like a complete idiot. I started the truck up this weekend and gave it a try and the blinkers work! Apparently the truck needs to be running in order for the blinkers to work. :dohh: Is this typical?

The truck does not necessarily need to be running, however the ignition switch has to be in the "ON" position for the turn signals to operate. (The 4-way flashers and the brake lights will work with the ignition switch off.)

SunSoaked 06-03-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 GMC C1500 (Post 8536158)

I recently discovered the same thing while rewiring my dash. Apparently my flasher doesn't like low voltage. Once the voltage dropped to 11.5 ish, it slowed down then just stopped. Start the engine and she worked fine. I even had the battery tested and it passed the test. So, I just put my battery charger on it when I'm working on it for long periods without it running. Typical? I don't know, but that's the way mine is.