The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Would you buy this truck with ... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768849)

Already Gone 08-05-2018 03:19 PM

Would you buy this truck with ...

5 Attachment(s)
Saw this really nice truck on Ebay now and its for sale now. I liked everything about it then saw the Granny 4 speed. If I was in the market for a truck the 4 speed would stop me form buying it. This a poll thread and my question is would the granny 4 speed deter you from buying this truck? I'll leave the poll open till Wednesday the 8th..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevro...53.m1438.l2649

jocko 08-05-2018 03:29 PM

Re: Would you buy this truck with ...

I think twice about them Greg, not sure why other than the fact that, when I look, I tend to look for automatics these days. Have had plenty of 3,4,5 speeds through the years, just tend to prefer autos nowadays for some reason. To me, the granny 4 is really just a 3 on the floor as I never really used the granny gear anyway. It's a good start to an NV4500 swap though :)
Gorgeous truck btw, noticed it has aftermarket gauges though - with everything else so original, I think i'd swap in stockers.

engineer_gregh 08-05-2018 03:41 PM

My vote was based more on price.

Already Gone 08-05-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engineer_gregh (Post 8316098)
My vote was based more on price.

Good point but pricing is subjective and are you saying you feel the price is too high considering it has a 4 speed but would be okay at that price point if it was an automatic ?

engineer_gregh 08-05-2018 04:05 PM

I think an automatic would be more valuable on the truck. The seller didn't post a copy of the SPID but based on the options seen in the pictures; Big Block, A/C, CST, Tilt Wheel, Tool and Storage Box it is unusual with the manual transmission. Seller seems very honest in the description with the exception of the hub caps. The hub caps are from a square body 1973 and up.

clay68c10 08-05-2018 04:10 PM

I wouldn’t hesitate to have that with a manual trans.
My 68 was a 4 speed when I got it, I changed it to a TH350 in my 20s, now I’m going back with a TKO500.
My 93 daily has a NV4500 and I really like it, even in traffic. I like the control I have with a manual.

dfwright 08-05-2018 04:25 PM

The aftermarket dash panel is more of turn-off for me than the manual transmission

CG 08-05-2018 04:28 PM

I would trade all my crap, I mean good stuff, for one nice, done 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton truck. Having a 4spd used to be a no way for me, but recently it seems kinda fun. Prolly change my mind after I got it ha!

And no I wouldn't spend that much on that particular truck, plus all my crap, good stuff, isn't worth that much lol.

jessemthompson 08-05-2018 04:29 PM

Based on the price, No

greentruck 08-05-2018 04:30 PM

I vote no. If it was a truck I really wanted the four speed granny wouldn't stop me. I would switch out the trans for one of my preference and lengthen or shorten the drive shaft, change out the steering column etc... Wouldn't take long and you'd have the truck you want. This poll isn't about the price of that truck so I will resist comments.

jessemthompson 08-05-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentruck (Post 8316124)
I vote no. If it was a truck I really wanted the four speed granny wouldn't stop me. I would switch out the trans for one of my preference and lengthen or shorten the drive shaft, change out the steering column etc... Wouldn't take long and you'd have the truck you want. This poll isn't about the price of that truck so I will resist comments.

If you’re resisting comments, don’t say anything at all. “This Truck” has a price though, so yes they price has something to do with it. At a lower price I wouldn’t mind swapping transmissions. At the current price I would look elsewhere. I sure hope the quality of this forums isn’t dropping. People can’t seem to keep their nastiness to themselves.

palallin 08-05-2018 04:34 PM

A 4spd would NEVER prevent me from buying a truck; in fact, it is a strong selling point for me. They vastly increase the utility, are pretty-near indestructible, and far cooler (in both senses) than any auto trans.

greentruck 08-05-2018 04:37 PM

The poll is about the four-speed transmission and not the price. Must've hit a nerve.:haha:

RustyPile 08-05-2018 04:38 PM

The transmission wouldn't stop me from buying the truck, but the price would..

Coley 08-05-2018 04:39 PM

That is a nice example of these trucks....very nice. Not 100% original but well optioned and in good condition for sure.
One thing that I noticed is how a set of 31/10.5" tires makes it look a bit like a 3/4 ton due to the extra tire height/size. I did that same combo with a half ton that I had when I carried an 8ft camper on it. It gave me more ground clearance and more stabile load carrying capacity.
Also looks like it has the rear overload springs, again good for hauling and towing....it would be interesting to see the SPID in the glovebox

...regardless, back to the main question and point:
However, I would not pay $23K for it regardless of its current option group,etc.
I would put that truck in the $15-16K range.

With the pricing aside and if it was good (or better) value the 4 speed wouldn't stop me from buying the truck.
The 4 speed would be a nice change and a novelty for a while...say a year.
In the meantime, and if I wanted an automatic I would take my time collecting everything 'factory' I needed that year to convert it to automatic.
Correct steering column, brake pedal assembly, transmission, driveshaft, linkage, cross member?, etc.
Then I would go with a 4 speed automatic...700R or 4L60.
Probably have the conversion done within a week if you really wanted it.

....but $23k for that one.....nope, not in my opinion.

All good
Coley

C10 - C90 Bill 08-05-2018 06:09 PM

If I walked up to that truck and saw the Granny Gear Trans, I would be smiling from ear to ear. That's the way I like them.

70 shorty 08-05-2018 07:20 PM

I love that truck and the granny 4 speed. In fact, I'd be more turned off if it were an auto. I also like the aftermarket gauges, assuming, and I think I'm right, that they are completely reversible to the stock ones. On a clean original whatever type of vehicle, I have no problem with mods if they're reversible (but I still prefer the 4 speed)

truckster 08-05-2018 07:35 PM

I wouldn't let the transmission keep me from buying a truck I like if I thought the price was fair.

Grumpy old man 08-05-2018 07:37 PM

A mid model year long bed for $23,900.00 you would have to be crazy to pay that much ... it's in Texas and you want to ship it to Canada ? I don't care how clean it is it's not a 67 or 72 so price should be way lower ...$23,900.00 will get you a nice short bed ...:smoke:

Already Gone 08-05-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8316224)
A mid model year long bed for $23,900.00 you would have to be crazy to pay that much ... it's in Texas and you want to ship it to Canada ? I don't care how clean it is it's not a 67 or 72 so price should be way lower ...$23,900.00 will get you a nice short bed ...:smoke:

Who wants to ship it to Canada? If you meant me all I asked is would the 4 speed deter anyone from buying the truck. Personally it would stop me from buying that truck. I know there have been lots of comments on pricing and I did expect that but that wasn't the intent of my post.

Blue GMC 08-05-2018 07:58 PM

Would pass on the 4 speed as if I am buying one that is complete I don't want to mess with the drive train. Know it's not in the poll but the color doesn't do it for me on this one and would have never made it to the 4 speed.

special-K 08-05-2018 08:10 PM

A 4spd in that big block C/10 right there makes me like it twice as much. That is cool as all get out. The 4spd makes it really stand out as an example of a truck ordered for handsome and comfortable without giving up an ounce of brute. I used to go for loaded, now I go for odd combinations. Or ones like this that are not odd at all, yet not with the mainstream. The old style brake controller says it was ordered to be a real truck for real truck use. I would guess a horse trailer. Nice dash job! Tilt column is also not OEM

bill3rail 08-05-2018 08:22 PM

Would not turn it down for the tranny but the price made my butt clench!
Granny gear is just a three speed with an extra massive towing power gear!
My neighbor is running a '69 K1500 with a granny gear and when I need a stump pulled I call him.

Bill

special-K 08-05-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8316224)

You assume he wants a short bed. What does year have to do with it? Trucks aren't priced according to what you want.

Fbks_Cruiser 08-05-2018 08:56 PM

I like the 4 speed. Wish I had one instead of the auto. Just seems more like a truck with that 4 on the floor.