The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear mount tank and cab fill (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=769154)

70CHEVYBB 08-10-2018 02:45 PM

Rear mount tank and cab fill

Has anyone ever seen someone put a rear mount tank and keep the filler neck in the cab? This is a short bed with a boyds tank in the rear and was trying to come up wirh different idea on the filler location. Its a 66 inch run from the back of the cab to the tank and would use 2" tubing. Any thoughts on this idea? I have a side fill tank and was going to do the flip down taillight but im concerned about the filler neck over flowing on fill up because it's only about 5 inches above the top of the tank.

Boog 08-11-2018 05:46 AM

Re: Rear mount tank and cab fill

There have been a couple to do the rear tank/cab fill though I cannot remember the username at the moment. If you haven't already, use the search button looking for that topic.
You didn't ask but I think it would be far easier and cleaner to just mount the filler neck inside the rear fender or graft in a fuel door on the bedside though.

Metaldoc 08-11-2018 02:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is the configuration I made, I pump the gas at 3/4 pressure on pump handle but it works well.

stsalvage 08-11-2018 03:42 PM

I have a friend here in Calif that has a 1970 chevy 3/4 ton.He always like the french in Gas doors on the S10's the square doors.So about 5 years ago He went a head and found some 35 gallon plastic fuel tanks.Then started thing How cool it be to have 2 gas tanks on ether side with the 1977 electric cross over switch on the dash.He even put in a manual one on the floor.

His thinking was Here in Calif All the Gas places are so busy.He wanted to make it easy about going to the gas station with no problem.So he put the tanks in and the the doors at the front of the bed and hooked every thing up.He;s been running that system for 4 years and loves it.Plus he has 70 gallon capacity.Now he's in the middle of putting a 5.7 LS motor in his truck.Found out he can use the same tanks cus they where for fuel in ejected.He;s so stoked

bill3rail 08-11-2018 04:05 PM

I would be nervous with the fill tube so close to the rear wheel.

Bill

Metaldoc 08-11-2018 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It just looks close but it has lots of clearance, these bars hold my composite boards down.

70CHEVYBB 08-12-2018 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=bill3rail;8320194]I would be nervous with the fill tube so close to the rear wheel.

I can tell you as a auto shop manager fill tubes on newer car are way closer you just dont see them as they are hidden by a plastic inner fender well
Posted via Mobile Device