The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Camshaft sensor relocate on 99 c1500 Suburban (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=548265)

shultzee13 10-19-2012 08:45 PM

Camshaft sensor relocate on 99 c1500 Suburban

Guys...
would there be a technical reason why I cannot just unplug the cam shaft sensor inside the distributor cap housing and mount the new straight to firewall with some self tapping screws???

The old one is driving me crazy to get out. It just don't make no sense to me why it is in there to begin with. :waah::waah::waah::waah:

Any way please advise. Sure would be easier.
Thanks.

clinebarger 10-19-2012 09:34 PM

Re: Camshaft sensor relocate on 99 c1500 Suburban

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shultzee13 (Post 5657140)
Guys...
would there be a technical reason why I cannot just unplug the cam shaft sensor inside the distributor cap housing and mount the new straight to firewall with some self tapping screws???

The old one is driving me crazy to get out. It just don't make no sense to me why it is in there to begin with. :waah::waah::waah::waah:

Any way please advise. Sure would be easier.
Thanks.

No you cant just mount it to the firewall.......

The CMP sensor provides one pulse per camshaft revolution (1X signal) to the VCM. The loss of this signal may not affect the driveability of the vehicle, but will affect the type of control the VCM has on the fuel injection system. If this signal is lost the VCM will pulse the injectors bank to bank (batch fire)instead of each individual injector at a time. The VCM also utilizes this signal in conjunction with the crankshaft position in order to determine which cylinder(s) are misfiring.

Align the square slot in the reluctor wheel with the CMP sensor Buy CAREFULLY bumping the starter.
Remove/Insert the CMP sensor through the reluctor wheel slot.

shultzee13 10-19-2012 10:30 PM

I can't get the star nuts out of the wheel to take the CPM out. Is it reverse thread? Ridiculous to get to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

shultzee13 10-20-2012 09:27 PM

So I FINALLY got the "stars" out. Put on the new distributor cap. new rotor. I don't get the jolt at idle now, BUT going down the road say 50-60 mph and bam jolt!!!

Code reader still says "P0340" Camshaft Sensor error. I replaced the freaking sensor!!!!!! UGHHHHHHH!!!

I read online were it could be a bad starter??? Can someone explain why or how a starter trying to die as anything to do with a bad camshaft sensor?

Possibly a spark plug misfiring? I guess I don't know what all this code means?
I don't want to assume anything. Maybe I need to throw the damn reader in the trash and go with my gut which tells me bad spark plugs.

BTW - It took me a big fat boy 6 hours today to change out a cpm sensor.
Jeeeez.

clinebarger 10-20-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shultzee13 (Post 5658564)
So I FINALLY got the "stars" out. Put on the new distributor cap. new rotor. I don't get the jolt at idle now, BUT going down the road say 50-60 mph and bam jolt!!!

Code reader still says "P0340" Camshaft Sensor error. I replaced the freaking sensor!!!!!! UGHHHHHHH!!!

I read online were it could be a bad starter??? Can someone explain why or how a starter trying to die as anything to do with a bad camshaft sensor?

Possibly a spark plug misfiring? I guess I don't know what all this code means?
I don't want to assume anything. Maybe I need to throw the damn reader in the trash and go with my gut which tells me bad spark plugs.

BTW - It took me a big fat boy 6 hours today to change out a cpm sensor.
Jeeeez.

1. Using a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM), With the key on check for Battery Voltage (B+) at the camshaft position sensor....Pink wire pin C. If less than B+ is found at pin C, check for B+ at the under hood fuse block ENG 1 fuse.

2. If there is B+ on pin C, check for a good ground at the camshaft sensor pin A Pink/Black. If a poor ground is found on pin A, check the Pink/Black wire from the distributor housing back to the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) pin 8 of the C1 connector.

3. If the powers and grounds are both OK, check for a 12 volt square wave signal on the Brown/White wire pin B of the camshaft sensor. (requires a scope) If there is a good signal at pin B, check for the same signal at pin 3 of the C1 connector on the VCM.

shultzee13 10-20-2012 10:12 PM

What if all checks out ok? Possible culprit is engine 1 fuse?

truckdude239 10-20-2012 11:39 PM

umm i'd check the fuse frist step one is always check the fuses

shultzee13 10-22-2012 11:05 AM

It all tested fine guys. At this point I am assuming it's the distributor itself - the shaft going into the motor.
I don't feel it loose but a local mechanic says this is probably wore out. It also looks like a pain in the rompus to replace.
Jeez:sumo:

72freak 10-27-2013 07:43 AM

[Sorry, I had the wrong code. Posted an solution and relized it was not correct.

Special-Ed 10-27-2013 11:33 AM

what is the original problem you had that the cam sensor needed to be replaced?

you may have the 4.3 cam sensor...

i know i had to replace my sons distrubutor on his 2000 s-10 blazer for some reason(i dont remember) but i got 2 new distrubutors with the v-8 cam sensor on the v-6 distributor....

so my point is... you may have the wrong cam sensor...