The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumbling when cruising (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=699222)

serge 02-28-2016 08:24 AM

Rumbling when cruising

Hello,
My 70 c-20 is making a rumbling noise. At first it was occurring when going about 55+ mph and not that noticeable. Gradually getting worse. I can feel it in steering wheel. Would this be some kind of bearing?
Serge

Grumpy old man 02-28-2016 08:43 AM

Re: Rumbling when cruising

I'd be changing those bearings , Can you feel it when turning or does it get worse ?

On the lighter side I usually try to get that Rumbling sound going down the road :lol:

serge 02-29-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 7502191)
I'd be changing those bearings , Can you feel it when turning or does it get worse ?

On the lighter side I usually try to get that Rumbling sound going down the road :lol:

It seems slightly more noticeable when turning but not 100% sure. Hard to gauge when going 50+/- mph. It's a slight grumbling vibration you can feel in steering wheel, floor board and seat. It seems to occur on and off every second.
Any thoughts on carrier bearing. I had that replaced couple years ago with a 15$ one form Truck Shop catalog.
Good point on rumbling sound.

snipescastle2 02-29-2016 12:32 PM

Yeah, I'd be pulling those hubs asap and check them bearings before they "Weld"them selves to your spindles, that's a monster you don't want, trust me.
New bearings/seals/re-pack with a good high temperature wheel bearing grease, better to do it all at the same time.
Ben
:metal:

69moneypit 02-29-2016 12:50 PM

I had same problem . Checked rear end , drive shaft . Never could figure out problem , until front center cap fell off . Bearing was shredded .

serge 03-01-2016 10:18 AM

Okay! I guess it's time to learn about replacing and repacking wheel bearings.
Is this something a novice can attempt or should I go to a professional?
Thanks for your time.

Grumpy old man 03-01-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serge (Post 7504855)
Okay! I guess it's time to learn about replacing and repacking wheel bearings.
Is this something a novice can attempt or should I go to a professional?
Thanks for your time.

it's easy use the search engine above for threads on replacing them or just Youtube it . use good grease and have plenty of rags repacking bearings by hand is fun !:lol:

serge 03-01-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 7504914)
it's easy use the search engine above for threads on replacing them or just Youtube it . use good grease and have plenty of rags repacking bearings by hand is fun !:lol:

Okay. Thats what I will do.
Thanks.