The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   underside of hood color?????? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=352569)

knsmodels 07-10-2009 05:00 PM

underside of hood color??????

I have heard that our trucks should be body color on the underside of the hood....when I finished my truck there where some comments about it being incorrrect to paint the underside of the hood black even though the original paint I saw on my truck was black....I was looking at Dr. Evil's barn find survivor and noticed that the underside of his hood is black on an original paint survivor so which is correct???? or are both correct??? just curious here is the link the Dr. Evil's truck hope you dont mind me referencing your fine truck Dr. Evil.......:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348137

mikey531 07-10-2009 05:45 PM

Re: underside of hood color??????

I just bought an original paint 69 GMC and under the hood is painted the same as the truck. I know my 71 and my 87 were body color too.

Huck 07-10-2009 05:47 PM

Original from the factory is body color. Semi-gloss black looks good but is an immediate flag that is trying to cover up something.

69GMCLonghorn 07-10-2009 05:56 PM

I don't know guys... My dad had an original '69 Chevy C/20 from 1979 to about 1993, never painted and the underside was always black.

My current '69 GMC was the same way. I have now painted the sheet metal black and had the structural parts painted body color. It actually looks better than either total black or body color.

sameyrasmea72 07-10-2009 06:33 PM

I have never seen body color paint, other than slight over spray, on an original paint truck. I have about 14 hoods in my shop off of old trucks and they are all semi-gloss on the under side.

Hawker7 07-10-2009 06:47 PM

My 72, and my dad's 70 were both original, and both were black on the underside of the hood.

mikey531 07-10-2009 07:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is under the hood on my truck it has 54000 original miles and never been painted.

knsmodels 07-10-2009 08:08 PM

I dont know I am seeing plenty of evidence going either way here....

Dr. Evil 07-10-2009 08:25 PM

I have grilled the owner countless times.. I've known him for 19 years... short of rendition , waterboarding or plain ole torture I believe him . period... He has no reason to lie to me...he is as close to a blood relative as you'll ever get... Maybe the highly optioned trucks were the candidated for this treatment... I have no idea....The more I think I know , the less I really do know.

OldSkool71 07-10-2009 09:08 PM

This is a good one...and im no better off then when this thread started...:lol:

turp mcspray 07-10-2009 09:16 PM

I restore cars for a living and have seen a lot of this type of thing over the years. Every truck that I have had has been black. I sanded a spot on the bottom of a hood in my shop and it is black over bare metal. Maybe they had a new guy start that day. For what I have seen over the years I believe that they were intended to be black(gm did it this way across board on their cars as well) but as they say..."never say never".

sameyrasmea72 07-10-2009 09:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I think it depended on where the truck was built, but one thing was for sure these trucks had horrible paint jobs by todays standards. The hoods were painted off the truck. And the under side was black and when they painted the edges of the hood they got overspray on the under side of the hood and could care less, but they never intended on putting a full coat of color on that side. Almost all of my hoods are nearly all black underneath but some have more over spray than others do. So I guess the different build plants could be different. This truck had 19000 miles on it and has more overspray than most of the hoods I have seen.

tim21391 07-10-2009 10:16 PM

im blacking my engine bay out and adding some chrome..

knsmodels 07-11-2009 06:14 PM

I think a poll is required for a final verdict.....we will have a conclusion in 7 days.....

71 super 07-11-2009 08:19 PM

Everything I have had has been black the trucks with body color were the ones that would raise a flag for me. I my experience the body color warped as sameyrasmea72 and the main portion being a semi gloss or egg shell black.

sameyrasmea72 07-11-2009 09:48 PM

Your poll ? is a little confusing. In your original post you wanted to know which way is correct, but in your poll you asked what color is the underside of your hood as in what is the color now. Almost everyone who repaints a nice truck paints the underside body color, so your results are not going to be very scientific. :lol: You should of stuck with you original theme of what color was the underside of hoods from the factory. :lol:

arm51 07-11-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 (Post 3405782)
I think it depended on where the truck was built, but one thing was for sure these trucks had horrible paint jobs by todays standards. The hoods were painted off the truck. And the under side was black and when they painted the edges of the hood they got overspray on the under side of the hood and could care less, but they never intended on putting a full coat of color on that side. Almost all of my hoods are nearly all black underneath but some have more over spray than others do. So I guess the different build plants could be different. This truck had 19000 miles on it and has more overspray than most of the hoods I have seen.

maybe we should check vin numbers cause there may have been a plant that painted under the hood the body color mine is blue the same color of my truck and it is bare metal underneath the blue, mine is from janesville

STP67-72 07-11-2009 10:58 PM

All of the original trucks that i have had were semigloss black. I have had dozens of these trucks and it seems in this area they were black. I still paint mine a egg-shell black to match my inner fenders and core support. I like them either way.

vectorit 07-11-2009 11:06 PM

My ol' burb came from the Fremont CA assembly line. Body color on the underside of the hood.

turp mcspray 07-13-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey531 (Post 3405626)
This is under the hood on my truck it has 54000 original miles and never been painted.

I see the hood latch is painted. This is deffinitley not typical of factory. In the pics it also looks like some of the stuff on the firewall is blue as well. Something could have happened on the assembly line to require some touch up as well. Anything is possible.

mrein3 07-13-2009 12:10 PM

I didn't vote because mine is black AND body color.
Here is what I did:
I took off all the factory color - I don't remember what color was underneath it.
I epoxy primered everything, top and bottom.
I taped off the supports, the cross hood and front and back ones and painted the rest gloss black.
I removed the tape and taped up the black I just sprayed. Then I put body color on the supports.
Then I painted the top body color.

I wish I had a picture on this computer for you guys because I really like how it turned out.

XTRMRCR 07-13-2009 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of mine. It has original paint everywhere except for the outside. You can even see a line where debris thrown from the alternator belt has worn the paint over the years.

Sinister 07-13-2009 12:37 PM

Body color on my '69.

EyeH8the24 07-13-2009 12:48 PM

body color on my 70...my 71 is black ....my 72 is body color...my 69 is black but i can tell it has been rattle canned

LOW DOUGH 07-13-2009 12:56 PM

body color on my 71 (green)

black on my 69. was a whit truck but now painted black ( i got it black)

Your going to make me go pop my hood at lunch. My 69 hood is on my 71 right now.