The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   OK, the new truck is home. Now what? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=207099)

glock35ipsc 07-31-2006 10:02 AM

OK, the new truck is home. Now what?

The 2002 GMC 1500HD CC/SB 4x4 is officially mine! Brought it home Saturday. The truck has right at 60,000 miles on it. I noticed that the fuel filter is original (at least it still has the OEM sticker on it). I will be pulling our RV to our property in South Dakota in September, and thought I would do a few tune-up things to it before we go. I have planned:

* new fuel filter
* new air filter
* new PCV valve
* new Bosch plugs
* new plug wires
* oil change
* chassis lube

Anything else I should do to it? Like a can of fuel injection cleaner, or ????? The truck runs great, but I am not sure what previous maintenance was done to it over it's life.

TIA!!

67ChevyRedneck 07-31-2006 11:01 AM

Re: OK, the new truck is home. Now what?

I wouldn't buy Bosch plugs. I'd get NGKs. Much better, and cheaper too! I've also heard that Taylor thundervolt wires are excellent for these trucks, but are about $100 a set. My truck needs a set, but it will have to wait a little bit:(

I'd also change the tranny filter and fluid. They are an absolute pain the in ass to do on a 4x4, you have to take a bunch of crap off just to get the pan off. It's ridiculous! Took me about 4 hours to do mine last year!

I think your truck had the 6.0L? I don't know if they had the same problems the 5.3 had with carbon build up, but you may want to pull the throttle bottle and clean it good, and maybe try a product called "sea foam" to clean the engine.

Go to GM-trucks.com and do a search on these items:

Sea foam
NGK
Taylor wires

and you should get a lot of good information. It's a great site with lots of info on the nbs trucks.

glock35ipsc 07-31-2006 11:07 AM

Excellent, thanks for the tip on the plugs! And for some reason, I never even thought about the tranny :crazy: It is the 6.0, and I will take a look at the TB too.

djracer 07-31-2006 11:20 AM

plugs and wires on these trucks are good for 100,000 miles why change them 40,000 early.

glock35ipsc 07-31-2006 11:39 AM

Yeah, I suppose. But they are cheap, and I like knowing what is under the hood. Fresh -vs- don't know how hard of a life they have had.........

67ChevyRedneck 07-31-2006 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc
Excellent, thanks for the tip on the plugs! And for some reason, I never even thought about the tranny :crazy: It is the 6.0, and I will take a look at the TB too.

I changed mine at 67K (plugs only) with NGK and I've put 23K on the truck since the change... just clicked 90K yesterday:metal: with no problems. The truck is starting to develop a bit of a "hic-cup" at redlights and I'm sure it's due to the wires, but I want the good ones and the good ones cost $$$ and I keep dropping $$$$$$$$ into the 67 each month 'cause its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO close to being done!

I know GM says they are good for 100K, but 4 years is a long time and 60K is A LOT of miles.

I also recommend only using mobil one on these trucks. It's expensive, but its definately good for 5K!

Go back to gm-trucks.com and search: mobil one:phat:

I don't hardly ever post over there, but there is SO MUCH info about the 99-present trucks on there it ain't even funny. They also have a lot of good info on the 88-98's too! If you ever have any problems with your truck, do a search over there and you'll most likely find it!