The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Victim of changes... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=733081)

specialtyretail 03-18-2017 09:09 AM

Victim of changes...

2 Attachment(s)
Big plans when I get off work today. Have stood that ugly under hood all I can....

RDrancher 03-18-2017 09:39 AM

Re: Victim of changes...

Sub'd for the reveal. Have fun and get dirty!

davepl 03-18-2017 12:06 PM

You need some of this! I'm in love with it. Flows out perfectly and has the right sheen, is a tough finish and I don't even bother to prime bare metal:

https://smile.amazon.com/SEM-39143-T...sem+trim+black

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

specialtyretail 03-19-2017 09:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry there were not any updates yesterday, too much action going on. The engine was swinging by 2:00 just like we expected,, then the grilling, eating, drinking, bench racing and bull****ting began... No problems with any of that.

trac209 03-19-2017 12:06 PM

Should put a higher stall converter in there while you've got it apart.

midniteblues 03-19-2017 12:21 PM

Let the cleaning begin!

toolboxchev 03-19-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialtyretail (Post 7890599)
Sorry there were not any updates yesterday, too much action going on. The engine was swinging by 2:00 just like we expected,, then the grilling, eating, drinking, bench racing and bull****ting began... No problems with any of that.

I knew you are One of US!

specialtyretail 03-19-2017 03:09 PM

Castrol Super Clean, Purple Power, Dollar General Store oven cleaner,, glad I am doing the engine bay outside...

specialtyretail 03-19-2017 04:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did not get a whole lot done today,, been doing a little business as well.

jmking9 03-19-2017 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7889816)
You need some of this! I'm in love with it. Flows out perfectly and has the right sheen, is a tough finish and I don't even bother to prime bare metal:

https://smile.amazon.com/SEM-39143-T...sem+trim+black

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

X2 on this stuff being the perfect sheen. Seems relatively durable also. I love it.

specialtyretail 03-20-2017 10:03 AM

I will check into that. Thanks, Fred.

davepl 03-20-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialtyretail (Post 7890938)
Please DO NOTsend paypal funds as a gift, right is right. Thanks....

This!

I thought I was the only person on earth that felt this way. I'll round up and add funds if I have to, but I think sellers should eat that as a convenience fee.

Lately I've been offering to split the fees (ie: I'll add half the fees to my total) but some balk at that too.

specialtyretail 03-20-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7891728)
This!

I thought I was the only person on earth that felt this way. I'll round up and add funds if I have to, but I think sellers should eat that as a convenience fee.

Lately I've been offering to split the fees (ie: I'll add half the fees to my total) but some balk at that too.

Just one of the costs of doing business, but paypal opens up a whole new marketplace. I have no problem paying the fee. Thanks, Fred.

Ken B 03-21-2017 06:36 AM

If you don't already have a brand of engine paint you swear by I highly recommend VHT paint. I used it on my long block install this past spring in my Longhorn and it still looks great...

specialtyretail 03-21-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken B (Post 7892406)
If you don't already have a brand of engine paint you swear by I highly recommend VHT paint. I used it on my long block install this past spring in my Longhorn and it still looks great...

I will keep that in mind. Thanks, Fred.

specialtyretail 04-01-2017 09:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok guys,, I know, it has been a couple of weeks. real life can sometimes take priorities, but i am back on it. Got the engine as clean as it is gonna get, getting ready for paint. Stay tuned...

specialtyretail 04-01-2017 11:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Closer....

Coley 04-01-2017 11:43 AM

looking great....almost lookin' like mopar orange instead of chevy orange...but definitely better for sure.

Coley

specialtyretail 04-01-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 7903136)
looking great....almost lookin' like mopar orange instead of chevy orange...but definitely better for sure.

Coley

You know how those damn spray cans are sometimes. It has already darkened up a little as it is drying. Thanks for the compliment, it aint much but i am trying to at least clean it up.

specialtyretail 04-01-2017 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Unsolicited product plug. I have used the Duplicolor Self Etching primer for years and have always been pleased with the results and coverage. Anytime you are putting a new, unpainted water pump on, hit it with this stuff first and the paint will stick so much better. We also use it on chrome valve covers before we paint them, good results.

Coley 04-01-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialtyretail (Post 7903139)
You know how those damn spray cans are sometimes. It has already darkened up a little as it is drying. Thanks for the compliment, it aint much but i am trying to at least clean it up.

One thing I like is that you painted the aluminum performance intake orange to match the motor.
I think leaving the original edelbrock silver manifold in the silver/aluminum colour always make the engine look a bit 'patchwork' to me.
I suppose its intended to show people that you have added HP parts and the silver color indicates the change....but I like the original appearance....with the performance upgrades disguised as stock....but to each is own.
Regardless...looking good....and good info the primer paint, I'll try that next time because my truck is do for a seasonal 're-detailing' under the hood as well.

Coley :chevy:

CG 04-01-2017 04:53 PM

This is going to be nice. Ive been talking with my nephew and we have been considering doing this with my K20. The truck may be going down the road though and Im not sure if the time/money/hassle, will be worth the return when trying to sell the truck. Of course if we decide to keep it than it will be well worth it.

Look forward to seeing your bay all prettied up =)

specialtyretail 04-01-2017 05:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. It ain't much, but it is ours. Low budget, beat and bang on it. It is gradually getting there, but i am done for the day. As the wife is known to say about me,, "I am not 30 years old anymore".

hewittca 04-01-2017 08:55 PM

Lookin' good! I agree with Coley, that painted intake definitely completes the look of that motor. What valve covers are you going to run?

specialtyretail 04-02-2017 12:20 AM

I appreciate that. Going with a smooth set of chrome steel ones, but painting them orange as well.