The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Jacks... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=383838)

eric67m 01-29-2010 07:24 AM

Jacks...

What does everybody carry for a jack in there truck. I never carried one for the two years that my truck was on the road, and luckly never needed it. My truck will most likely be stock or 4" lift with 33-35" tires. Just thinking what I should carry in the future.

Mudder 01-29-2010 08:01 AM

Re: Jacks...

1 Attachment(s)
Not a lot to choose from. Floor jacks work best for lifted trucks but they are not really friendly carrying around. These have several different uses. The towel was to keep things from getting scratched and to catch metal shavings when I mounted it.

vtblazer 01-29-2010 08:35 AM

Same here...High Lift.

fun in dirt 01-29-2010 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love these little mini floor jacks. Can get them at AutoZone & such or around $50. I used the same one for years (when I had a street car that doubled as a drag car on the weekends & I changed back tires when got to the track) and never had any trouble with it. Light, easy to use & even comes with a little case! Would pick up the whole back of the car with no trouble. If you run 35s may need to tote a short piece of 4x4 block with you too; I don't remember how high it would lift.
High Lifts definetly have their place in certain situations , but I'm always a little scary of them.

OrrieG 01-29-2010 12:28 PM

High Lift and a 5 ton bottle jack. A couple of pieces of wood to spread the weight. Old axle in case i need to drive a pick point to pull with. I will be adding a winch this build.

eric67m 01-29-2010 12:54 PM

I had a gear style bottle jack and a chunk of rail road tie at times. Just looking for other options...

Thanks for replies so far.

Stocker 01-29-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric67m (Post 3766141)
I had a gear style bottle jack

I've used 'em and I hate 'em... hydraulic bottle jack is small (easy to store) and works much better. Wouldn't hurt to keep a short length of wood plank handy too.

bignbad 02-16-2010 08:12 PM

A farmers jack now adays (High-lift jack)like mudders, work good,you can jack a truck up with it and you can pull with it too like a winch,You can use it for all kinds of things if you know how to use it to full protenal.I got one of the older ones that came of the old rescue.

fla wildman 02-16-2010 09:46 PM

bottle jack and a 6x6 I like a tall 12ton don't take a lot to jck it

OrrieG 02-17-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bignbad (Post 3805310)
A farmers jack ...You can use it for all kinds of things if you know how to use it to full protenal.

In the original Whole Earth Catalog (yes I am that old and I still have mine) there was a listing for the high lift jack that listed all the stuff it could be use for. The guy even claimed to have pryed apart a wrecked car door to rescue the accident victim. I remember it because he last line was something along "I hope I have given you damn Hippies some useful information". Reminded me of the old guys I my neighborhood growing up. I think in a lot of ways they were a little jealous of our Hippie lifestyle, while it lasted.

You can also use it to move a rig side ways out of a ditch or deep rut because of the height, jack it up and push it over. They will also pull, I've used them for stretching fence wire and cables. I've broke two of those cable come alongs over the years and do not trust them.

willett 02-17-2010 05:56 PM

i lug a floor jack around when i'm wheeling.

it just makes sense.

mine came from canadian tire in its own little case with a 12v compressor and a lug wrench adapter for about $60

Hoods69BadBowTie 02-18-2010 04:36 AM

Yea i use to carry around a small floor jack and some pieces of wood to use with it! Looking at getting a high lift jack next cause they are pretty sweet and can be used in a ton of ways :D