The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need some 101 Education in front Disc Brake conversions kits/lowering kits (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=776761)

C4UC101969 12-06-2018 12:10 PM

Need some 101 Education in front Disc Brake conversions kits/lowering kits

5 Attachment(s)
Guys I am very new to owning a classic truck that is all stock down to the front drum brakes that are 6 lugs.
I am realizing that I should be changing the front drums to discs and further dropping the truck by 2.5" in the front and not sure about the back this is where I need ya'll help and education please.

I've included some pics of truck as it currently is, my questions are plentiful:
1. Which supplier should I go with?
2. Changing to disc brakes will my front wheels fit on the same way as on drums or will they be pushed out, I have 20x9" with 5" backspace?
3. If the front wheels will be pushed out, do I have to push out the rears as well?
4. Does the rear need lowering as well if I drop it further the front by 2.5"?
5. Do I need a separate lowering kit?
6. Do I need a sway bar and what it does?
7. Will the bolt size change as currently it is 6x5.5?
8. Any other questions that I did not ask(I am sure there are plenty, please let me know what else would be involved with this conversion.

I know it has been talked about it plenty on these forums but it is all over the place, I just want to have it all in one post/thread so to speak.

As you can see from my questions I am not at all mechanically inclined but I am willing to learn fast and my local shop will be doing all the work but I just want to know what parts I need to get him so that everything gets done all in one day without back and forth.

Please any clarification/education will be greatly appreciated from this awesome community of classic truck enthusiasts!:chevy:

GMCRanchTruck 12-06-2018 12:32 PM

Re: Need some 101 Education in front Disc Brake conversions kits/lowering kits

I'll answer the questions best to my knowledge, keeping in mind I am far from an expert here.

1. Which supplier should I go with? <- this is complete subjective, most companies offer quality parts and replacements.
2. Changing to disc brakes will my front wheels fit on the same way as on drums or will they be pushed out, I have 20x9" with 5" backspace? <- a 20" wheel will fit perfectly with disk brakes, essentially with a 5" back space.
3. If the front wheels will be pushed out, do I have to push out the rears as well? <--most kits are supplied with a spindle that pushes the wheel out about 3/4 of an inch (hardly noticeable if you ask me). CPP offers a bolt on spindle that keeps the complete sock wheel position.
4. Does the rear need lowering as well if I drop it further the front by 2.5"?<-- once again this is preference. Most people lower both front and back when lowering their truck, unless you want the rear to stand a lot higher. I believe the common 2.5" front drop would use a 4" drop kit in the rear. this page will give you an idea http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=139
5. Do I need a separate lowering kit?<-- If you want to lower the rear, you will need a separate lowering kit for that.
6. Do I need a sway bar and what it does? <-- The sway bar helps stabilize the truck, especially while turning, I do not know if you "need" one in the rear of the truck.
7. Will the bolt size change as currently it is 6x5.5? <-- you can get a kit in any bolt pattern you desire. yes, 6x5.5 is readily available.

I hope this helps at least a little bit.

GMCRanchTruck 12-06-2018 12:35 PM

One more thing, you have a beautiful truck, but looking at those wheels, make sure you have the space in the wheel wells to accommodate the drop you are looking for. If your wheels and tires are too big, you'll need to make modifications for them to fit.

C4UC101969 12-06-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCRanchTruck (Post 8400044)
I hope this helps at least a little bit.

Yes it does help for sure, I am sure others will chime in, but I really appreciate you being the first one and taking the time to answer my questions for me.

C4UC101969 12-06-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCRanchTruck (Post 8400048)
One more thing, you have a beautiful truck, but looking at those wheels, make sure you have the space in the wheel wells to accommodate the drop you are looking for. If your wheels and tires are too big, you'll need to make modifications for them to fit.

Thank you, the wheel well will be tight for sure but there is still room that is why I am worried if the disc brakes will push out the wheels further if they do then the drop will probably not happen without some extensive modifications(which I am not prepared to do at this given moment)

Mike C 12-06-2018 10:18 PM

Early Classic Enterprises or ECE is my choice for a supplier.

Your truck is lowered already, so you may have to adjust if you do the lowered spindles. But that is easy as you just buy a spring that will get you where you want, a $100 penalty. But the spindles are the right way to go and you will think it's a new truck with the discs.