The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   original angled brake booster with dual reservoir MC? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=733739)

statenine 03-26-2017 01:51 AM

original angled brake booster with dual reservoir MC?

Hey guys, my '66 has a stock brake booster that is angled towards the driver side fender. I picked up a CPP front disc brake conversion kit, and also want to add a dual reservoir MC with side mounted proportioning valve.

My questions is, will the CPP dual reservoir MC bolt up to my stock "angled" booster with no issues? The CPP MC is pretty large in comparison to my stock single reservoir MC, so it looks like it could hit the inner fender...or at least cause brake line routing issues. Anyone?

The Rocknrod 03-26-2017 10:16 AM

Re: original angled brake booster with dual reservoir MC?

I'd get Captainfab's brake booster bracket as insurance to a successful project: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=1#post3257836

Bad4wd 03-26-2017 10:19 PM

My 66 4x4,
I used a duel m.c. Form a 71 Chevy and the entire brake line sys from a 84 chevy k-10.
The brakes were way to hard with the factory 66 power booster bracket.
I made a bracket just like captain fabs one and it made 100% difference.

Just my experience.
Dave..

statenine 03-27-2017 01:03 PM

thanks guys! I sent Captainfab a message about his bracket.

Since I have the stock booster already, will I need to make any pushrod modifications for this to work with my setup? Or do I simply remove the stock angled "wedge" shaped bracket, and use this new one instead?

VictoriaHardware 03-27-2017 08:30 PM

As long as your original booster works well and the new master cylinder will mate to the it, and it probably will, you don't need to change anything else. The wedge will angle the master away from the engine. The pedal ratio will not need to be changed. Just make sure you get the pushrod length between the booster and master cylinder correct. It must be right and is very sensitive.

statenine 03-27-2017 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictoriaHardware (Post 7898474)
As long as your original booster works well and the new master cylinder will mate to the it, and it probably will, you don't need to change anything else. The wedge will angle the master away from the engine. The pedal ratio will not need to be changed. Just make sure you get the pushrod length between the booster and master cylinder correct. It must be right and is very sensitive.

Thanks for the reply. By looking at it, it seems that the new larger master cylinder might hit the inner fender if I leave it angled. Maybe it won't, but it will likely be close. And it will also make the brake line routing more difficult because it will be right up against the inner fender. I guess I will have to just try putting it on and see.

murdoc 03-28-2017 12:53 AM

Im pretty sure I have seen the original power brake bracket used with a dual reservoir and prop valve conversion. Its close, but you can do it. You will have to custom form your brake lines to clear the inner fender.

I contemplated doing this when I did my disc brake conversion, but decided to go with CaptainFab's powdercoated bracket instead. It looks better that way, and allows for more brake booster options as it comes out straight from the firewall instead of at an angle.

I don't regret my decision and would buy from CaptainFab again in a heartbeat. :chevy:

statenine 03-28-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murdoc (Post 7898722)
Im pretty sure I have seen the original power brake bracket used with a dual reservoir and prop valve conversion. Its close, but you can do it. You will have to custom form your brake lines to clear the inner fender.

I contemplated doing this when I did my disc brake conversion, but decided to go with CaptainFab's powdercoated bracket instead. It looks better that way, and allows for more brake booster options as it comes out straight from the firewall instead of at an angle.

I don't regret my decision and would buy from CaptainFab again in a heartbeat. :chevy:

Thanks murdoc. Are you using your stock '65 booster? Did you have to make any pushrod modifications to make it work with that setup?

1966burb 03-28-2017 02:56 PM

Did it on my 66 burb. Sent my original booster out for a rebuild and put the disc brake kit on. Yes, had to get creative with the proportioning valve and brake lines. When engine is out sometime I will tuck all of that down in the frame rail and hide it.

statenine 03-28-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1966burb (Post 7899203)
Did it on my 66 burb. Sent my original booster out for a rebuild and put the disc brake kit on. Yes, had to get creative with the proportioning valve and brake lines. When engine is out sometime I will tuck all of that down in the frame rail and hide it.

Which disc brake kit did you use? Did your new MC bolt right up to the stock booster with no pushrod modifications?