The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Detroit Steel Wheels (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754471)

ARCTICFRONTIER 01-09-2018 11:33 PM

Detroit Steel Wheels

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...B2D2DD77E.jpeg

Who’s going to be first to run the new Delray wheels?

darkhorse970 01-10-2018 06:41 AM

Re: Detroit Steel Wheels

I like the look but need to see them on a squarebody before i pull the trigger.

bMr 01-10-2018 10:28 AM

FINALLY! These will look awesome on our trucks.

Trackman101 01-10-2018 10:32 AM

Hasn't US Mag been making a couple of versions of these for a few years?

bMr 01-10-2018 10:45 AM

Yes, an alloy version which are also killer. However, you'll get a set of Detroit Steels for the cost of 1 wheel from US Mag.

hewittca 01-10-2018 10:51 AM

Those are definitely a nice version of their steelies. I'm really surprised they haven't pumped out a whole range of options for these wheels. Their plain steelies are cool but are already really played out.

demian5 01-10-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bMr (Post 8156934)
Yes, an alloy version which are also killer. However, you'll get a set of Detroit Steels for the cost of 1 wheel from US Mag.

Thats still a grip!

harpo231 01-10-2018 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vision has some nice ones !

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1515611293

lolife99 01-10-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 8156939)
Those are definitely a nice version of their steelies. I'm really surprised they haven't pumped out a whole range of options for these wheels. They're plain steelies are cool but are already really played out.

I agree.
If you zoom in on the picture,... the center of the wheel looks like it has the "dual drill" double bolt pattern, like all the other Mobsteel wheels.
But if you look close,... the stock center cap doesn't quite cover the larger bolt pattern.

ARCTICFRONTIER 01-10-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8157160)
I agree.
If you zoom in on the picture,... the center of the wheel looks like it has the "dual drill" double bolt pattern, like all the other Mobsteel wheels.
But if you look close,... the stock center cap doesn't quite cover the larger bolt pattern.

I noticed that too. You are right about that. The other pic I saw shows they are dual bolt pattern. The fit and finish around the center cap is a bit rough for my liking. Be nice if the center cap fit more precisely to the rim but probably not possible because of being dual pattern

samkost 01-11-2018 01:19 AM

The five bolt version with the stock center caps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF1XWbscqE

Prices for the 18" 5 Lugs?
Tempting upgrade.

Hart_Rod 01-11-2018 01:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bMr (Post 8156934)

Has anyone seen a price list or backspacing options? Looking to purchase a set for my Suburban.

Ekliptix 01-11-2018 02:06 PM

Very interested if they'll be cheaper then the US Mags version ($$$).

I emailed them for pricing on:
rear 20 x 11
front 20 x 8

or

rear 18 x 10
front 18 x 8

MoFormula 01-11-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekliptix (Post 8157984)
Very interested if they'll be cheaper then the US Mags version ($$$).

I emailed them for pricing on:
rear 20 x 11
front 20 x 8

or

rear 18 x 10
front 18 x 8

I understand they are priced the same as their artillery line.

bMr 01-11-2018 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
US Mags Sierra is a forged aluminum wheel costing upwards of $900/ea. This is steel. Apples v oranges.

http://detroitsteelwheel.com/wp-cont..._Retail_v1.pdf

Ekliptix 01-11-2018 06:12 PM

This is excellent news. I assume the prices above don't include the center cap.

Orange Crate 01-11-2018 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Those look like old Mopar Ralley wheels. Who wants that on a Chevy?

Hart_Rod 01-11-2018 07:13 PM

Just spoke to MS on the phone. They wheels are ready but they still need to address the issue of mounting a factory truck center cap. As stated above, the wheels are multi-lug and due to the extra holes, there currently isn't anyway to bolt the factory center cap to the wheel. Sooooo the wait continues....Hopefully they can figure this out pretty quickly, as I would love to have a set of these for my Suburban.

Hart_Rod 01-11-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bMr (Post 8158176)
US Mags Sierra is a forged aluminum wheel costing upwards of $900/ea. This is steel. Apples v oranges.

http://detroitsteelwheel.com/wp-cont..._Retail_v1.pdf

Don't forget beauty ring @$60 apiece, center cap @$50 apiece, paint or powder coat $150??, + shipping. I would guess around $1800 for a complete set shipped. Still alot cheaper than US Mags.

Gromit 01-11-2018 07:42 PM

I like these wheels well enough and especially if the wheel can fit the original dog dish hubcaps - (though I realize that is not yet the case with these without modifications).

I still use my truck mostly as a truck though and on occasion will travel to the brickyard and pick up a cubic yard of some sand or granite aggregate or clay bricks or pavers.

So I wonder what the load rating is on these wheels - I hope it will be at least what is stated on our OEM load capacity tag..(though I don't recall that figure for a C-10 with HD rear springs.. guessing 1,100 lbs.? (why they call it a half-ton?)

hewittca 01-12-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gromit (Post 8158276)
I like these wheels well enough and especially if the wheel can fit the original dog dish hubcaps - (though I realize that is not yet the case with these without modifications).

I still use my truck mostly as a truck though and on occasion will travel to the brickyard and pick up a cubic yard of some sand or granite aggregate or clay bricks or pavers.

So I wonder what the load rating is on these wheels - I hope it will be at least what is stated on our OEM load capacity tag..(though I don't recall that figure for a C-10 with HD rear springs.. guessing 1,100 lbs.? (why they call it a half-ton?)

I'm not sure specifically on the load rating for these, but I'm sure it's more than enough to do some hauling. I've seen quite a few people hauling stuff with their plain steel wheels. I'm running transits which are very similar in construction and they are DOT approved (as are the Mobsteel wheels) and I haul stuff all the time no problem. The wheels are constructed in a very similar fashion to the stock wheels on our trucks. Much more important than the wheels ability I think is making sure your low profile tire is up to the task.

ARCTICFRONTIER 01-12-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gromit (Post 8158276)

Their other rims can be drilled and tapped to allow dog dish caps. I’d assume these are the same. My plan is to run these eventually. My money tied up in a complete suspension upgrade and brake swap.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...5B547D024.jpeg

ARCTICFRONTIER 01-12-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8158263)
Don't forget beauty ring @$60 apiece, center cap @$50 apiece, paint or powder coat $150??, + shipping. I would guess around $1800 for a complete set shipped. Still alot cheaper than US Mags.

My plan is to run without the beauty rims, thankfully I have a set of dog dish caps to use. I’m 6x5.5 and want to run a staggered rims so my options are pretty limited without breaking the bank.

18x8 rims $279 each
20x9 rims $288 each
Powder coat $140 per set
Drill and tap for dog dish cap $15 each

$1334 plus tax. Not bad I guess. US Mags I price at above $900 each plus caps, taxes and shipping. I can’t afford that.

Shipping will kill me though. I’m in Canada and a long way from Detroit.

Ekliptix 01-12-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARCTICFRONTIER (Post 8158815)

Shipping will kill me though. I’m in Canada and a long way from Detroit.

What I do is have US items shipped to the boarder, Montana in my case. There are companies there who will receive your shipment and hold it for a couple dollars per day. You take a drive down to the US boarder, pick up your stuff, pay duty and GST en route back home. Save a lot on shipping, especially with Summit and others who offer free shipping within the US.

The drive isn't worth it for small dollar items, but is for stuff like this.

ARCTICFRONTIER 01-12-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekliptix (Post 8158819)
What I do is have US items shipped to the boarder, Montana in my case. There are companies there who will receive your shipment and hold it for a couple dollars per day. You take a drive down to the US boarder, pick up your stuff, pay duty and GST en route back home.

The drive isn't worth it for small dollar items, but is for stuff like this.

That’s probably what I will do. We use Plentywood Package Service or Curtiss Farm Equipment (also in Plentywood).

My sister lives in Ontario so there might be some option there. She’s only about 1.5 hrs from Detroit