The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Champion radiator mc369 4 core (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=693969)

DaHos 01-07-2016 12:46 PM

Champion radiator mc369 4 core

3 Attachment(s)
Why do they sell these? Fits great side to side but they are too tall!!!!!

Fwiw the 4 core saddles work. Sorta????

davepl 01-07-2016 01:11 PM

Re: Champion radiator mc369 4 core

Any room to work with on the bottom? You don't need much, even just 1/2" to get the top saddles to likely bite enough to clamp down.

DaHos 01-07-2016 01:17 PM

Even if I shave the rubbers it won't work....the aluminum tank/welds end up rubbing on the metal retainers defeating the need for the rubbers.....

Freddo 01-07-2016 03:28 PM

I ran into a similar problem with my 'Spectra' radiator. A suggestion was made to cut a piece of garden hose to use in place of the rubber grommits. I saved my grommits & cut a section of an old bicycle tube, folded it over & set it into the brackets. The radiator still rode high but at least it was held in place. The upper mounts were also high. I put several washers under the upper mounts where it mounts to the frame. The other item affected was the shroud because the radiator was riding higher, I had to make 2 small plates about an 3/4 inch wide by one inch long and put a hole in each end. I mounted the top hole to the frame and bolted the shroud on to the lower hole which allowed the shroud to ride in it's original position. Not a great solution but it was the best I could do.

DaHos 01-07-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddo (Post 7438669)
I ran into a similar problem with my 'Spectra' radiator. A suggestion was made to cut a piece of garden hose to use in place of the rubber grommits. I saved my grommits & cut a section of an old bicycle tube, folded it over & set it into the brackets. The radiator still rode high but at least it was held in place. The upper mounts were also high. I put several washers under the upper mounts where it mounts to the frame. The other item affected was the shroud because the radiator was riding higher, I had to make 2 small plates about an 3/4 inch wide by one inch long and put a hole in each end. I mounted the top hole to the frame and bolted the shroud on to the lower hole which allowed the shroud to ride in it's original position. Not a great solution but it was the best I could do.

This was purchased to correct the same problem I had with my Spectra copper/brass 4 core.........2 different trucks same issue....... And I DO NOT want spacers, just a 4 core that fits !! :waah::waah::waah:

54belair 01-07-2016 07:55 PM

Man, That's one mistake I didn't make (Ive made many on my build--but at the last minute I decided not to buy one of these)

Is there any interference with the hood? If its just too tall and doesn't hit anything a new set of brackets could be fabbed. (something else to do!!)

jeh 01-07-2016 09:34 PM

I have a Champion in my truck and it fit pretty decent. I did shave just a little off the rubber pieces but it was closer than yours looks to be. I don't remember the part# on mine