The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Rollcage w/Air Conditioning (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=28457)

Radiatta_71 10-29-2002 01:18 AM

Rollcage w/Air Conditioning

Does anyone have any pictures of a rollcage installed that has air conditioning? I have a rollcage in my 71 but recently picked up a 72 w/ac that I was considering swapping tubs. I would have to cut my cage at the top and move back 2 or 3" to create the necessary clearance. Does smittybuilt or any other companies make a cage for a blazer with A/C.

Any pic would be appreciated to get some ideas.

Mike C 10-29-2002 12:24 PM

I have the Smittybuilt cage with AC. I just pushed the tubes out as far as I could and then I turn the socket vents towards middle. Not ideal, but a good portion of the air is directed to the back from the center vent so those people don't swelter. The idea is to get the temp down in the whole truck and not need to actually have the air blowing on you. Insulate, insulate, insulate. The Blazer AC is borderline anyhow. While the AC in my truck is awesome, the same system in the jimmy has to accomodate 4 times the volume of air.

Radiatta_71 10-29-2002 09:33 PM

Do you have any pictures of this setup? The mounting plate flanges that come with the cage kit wouldn't be touching the floor where it angles up towards the firewall would it?

K5KRAZIE 10-30-2002 12:06 AM

Whats happening guys! I think I can help you out. A buddy of mine makes custom cages and can bend up some down tubes for ya, that would most likly work. Best thing is He is also a fellow k5er!:cool:
Let me know if yer intersted.

Mike C 10-30-2002 03:18 PM

My mounting flanges are "bent" wher they run up the forward part of the footwell and on the (mostly) flat part of the floor. You have a little bit of leeway in mounting the floor plates, which is what I did first, then I fit the rest of the cage by trimming the legs of the cage and then the back to fit against the 4 point bar.

Blaze69 11-14-2002 02:38 AM

Hey K5KRAZIE,
I'm interested in hearing more about your buddy's custom work.

K5KRAZIE 11-14-2002 02:53 AM

Basiclly he has a bender and has been experimenting with diffrent things. He woul like to do this more. But his job gets in the way!lol

K5KRAZIE 11-14-2002 02:56 AM

If you would like check out my web shots.:D
The roll cage in that is mostly Smittybuilt, with some extras. We did that in a weekend(pressed for time, Moab awaited!) so theres some things I will change but I think you get the idea.:D

Burlinator 11-22-2002 05:57 PM

that rock slider setup is SWEEEEEET!!!!
are you gonna just use skins for the doors or run it wihtout em?:cool: :cool: :cool: :bowtie: :canada:

Mike C 11-23-2002 09:36 PM

I was checking out your truck and saw the 510. Cool. Guy over on www.HybridZ.org has a 510 with an L28 running N20 and a T56 6 speed. If you haven't been over there, good page. Check it out. Nice work on the sliders and cage, my truck is just in too good of shape for that, though. (At least that's my opinion...)

K5KRAZIE 12-01-2002 12:31 AM

Thanks for the kind words fellas.:D
I have been thinking about what to do about the openings the doors used to fill.LOL Now that winter is upon us I feel I may have not thought it through fully. haha.
About the Datsun, thanks I have unfortunatly let the poor thing go with out attencion for awhile. I would like to get it going now that I've spent some money on it and it just sits now.:bowtie: