The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help identify what truck this is (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=770808)

jhrusk 09-05-2018 08:50 PM

Help identify what truck this is

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. Need a little help with this one. I'm a 64-66 guy so I don't know a whole lot about these but I picked this one up today and the long bed has an extension added to the front. The frame does not appear to be spliced so not sure. Any help is appreciated

CousinTone 09-05-2018 08:57 PM

Re: Help identify what truck this is

You got the longer bed for campers. There are some called Longhorn, very nice and I believe the GMC’s were tagged Sierra Grande, your tag is nice and it’s listed there. I had the 72 GMC with extra long bed and the engine is the 396/400......looks good. How much did you score this beast for, if you don’t mind sharing with us. We like to keep up with prices.

jhrusk 09-05-2018 09:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I got it in a package deal with a 66 c10. What would something like it be worth?? It hasn't ran in quite a while so I hope to get it running in the next month or so.

special-K 09-05-2018 09:04 PM

Chevys were Longhorns and the GMC is just a 133" WB Wideside. They came in 3/4T and 1T but all are on 1T chassis. 1T chassis came in short 133" and long 157" WB.

uncle 09-05-2018 09:09 PM

It’s about like any other truck as far as a price. It depends on how much rust the truck has. A longhorn may or may not be desirable depending on who’s looking. Personally I like them.Looks like a pretty good truck in the pics.

jocko 09-05-2018 09:14 PM

Wheelbase is unrelated to trim level, you just happen to have a Sierra Grande, the highest trim level. Congrats - great looking truck. As for value - 133 wb is just a little bonus, the Sierra Grande trim level and the big block are the high value pieces of this truck - adds a “little” to rarity to be in a 133 wb config.

jhrusk 09-05-2018 09:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I will post more pics when I get working on it. Driver side is in good shape, passenger rocker has rust and looks like front pass fender has been replaced.

68bowtie 09-05-2018 09:40 PM

Big block sierra grande longhorn. Nice buy. Looks solid too!

70shortfleet 09-06-2018 11:09 AM

That would be a great one to restore!

Coley 09-06-2018 12:04 PM

Ok....factory B.block Longhorn w/ air con. and a top of the line deluxe trim package...ie: Sierra Grande, which is the GMC equivalent of the Cheyenne Super and all of that in the highly desireable 'red' and white combo....neat.
Nice score!!
Value?...depends primarily on the body condition and how much rust is on and under the truck.
In my opinion that truck would be somewhere in the $2500-$4000 range. It appears to be both pretty straight and original ...which is definitely in its corner for holding value.
If it was running and driving that price would go up of course...but until you know the mechanical (engine/trans/etc) condition that price will not change much.
The longhorn is a bit of an acquired taste. It is a very heavy duty pickup...basically a one ton, so not as popular as the 1/2 tons ....so arguably, not as valuable.

Regardless, it looks like you have a very nice example there...get us a few more pics.

All good
Coley

hooverfish 09-06-2018 12:57 PM

and positraction too, anyone know what standard rear end ratio is on this beast ?

jhrusk 09-06-2018 01:21 PM

I will definitely post more pics in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to the rod run in pigeon forge for the next week so I won't have time to really check it out until I get back. Thanks everyone for the help and info. Looks like I got lucky on this one. 😳

Coley 09-06-2018 01:28 PM

So....seriously check out the cab condition for rust:

-Above the windshield (might be visible from inside near/above the mirror area)
-Cab Corners
-Both rockers
-Cab supports (front/rear left to right pieces found on both drivers side and passenger side.
-Where the floor panel meets the kick panels, both drivers and passenger side.
...remember, the cab is the most expensive item to fix so ideally you want this part of the truck as solid as possible in order to qualify the short term/long term value.

All good
Coley

morepwr 09-06-2018 05:58 PM

That is a well optioned truck! Nice find and score!

jhrusk 09-06-2018 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I had a minute to look over truck. Found some paper work in the glove box. All the cab mounts look good. The outer rockers are rusted. Bottom of front fenders have some rust. Looks like the rad support is rusted under battery box as well as inner fenders there. Everything else looks pretty solid. Passenger lower inside door as well. Driver door looked good.

Getter-Done 09-06-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhrusk (Post 8338633)
I will definitely post more pics in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to the rod run in pigeon forge for the next week so I won't have time to really check it out until I get back. Thanks everyone for the help and info. Looks like I got lucky on this one. 😳

Tuff looking Truck.
Would you trade for a 1965 long bed?
Kind of Kidding (because of the distance between where we are Located)
And the hours I work.
With that being said . I will be at the (Rod Run all Weekend).
I could get pictures of my truck before then (Maybe depends on Weather)

jhrusk 09-06-2018 10:31 PM

Getter done take a look at Sanford build thread. I will probably be parked at a store on the parkway all sauced up. Come by and introduce yourself. Thanks.

Getter-Done 09-06-2018 10:39 PM

jhrusk
I have seen your build.
I will refresh my memory on that though.
Hope to see you there.
Thanks
Dwayne

Getter-Done 09-06-2018 11:01 PM

jhrusk
I Know which truck to look for.
See you at PF.

Already Gone 09-08-2018 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hooverfish (Post 8338616)
and positraction too, anyone know what standard rear end ratio is on this beast ?

With nothing posted on the spid the truck should have the standard ratio for aBB Auto trans truck which is 3:54. The attached chart is for a Chevy but I'm thinking a GMC would be the same.

Already Gone 09-08-2018 10:51 AM

By the way very nice score on the Longhorn and what I really like about it is its originality. As has been mentioned they are an aquired taste and I reallly like this one as it would be a beauty and joy to own all restored to original.

JQ-72 09-08-2018 05:02 PM

After studying the SPID, it looks like a Sierra, not a Grande. The black cloth trim (which was not available on Supers and Grandes) was throwing me off. I noticed the SG listing has a Z84 code, which would be Cheyenne. That’s the second Atlanta built truck I’ve seen with Z84 code, but calls it Sierra Grande. A Super or Grande would have a YE9 code. Still cool truck though!

JQ

Joesjunk 09-08-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8340097)
With nothing posted on the spid the truck should have the standard ratio for aBB Auto trans truck which is 3:54. The attached chart is for a Chevy but I'm thinking a GMC would be the same.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it lists the “No-spin” option, which is the locker for the Eaton rear axle. Also I believe since it’s a 1 ton it would also have the Eaton axle, and not the Dana. So that would give it the 4:10 gear ratio.

Do you know if you have the Dana or the Eaton axle under your truck?

Already Gone 09-08-2018 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joesjunk (Post 8340302)
Correct me if I am wrong, but it lists the “No-spin” option, which is the locker for the Eaton rear axle. Also I believe since it’s a 1 ton it would also have the Eaton axle, and not the Dana. So that would give it the 4:10 gear ratio.

Do you know if you have the Dana or the Eaton axle under your truck?

Your not wrong I am , I missed that it was a C30.

jhrusk 09-10-2018 01:18 PM

I don't know if it's a Dana or eaton. Any quick way to tell just by looking at it??