The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   HID headlight question: Harness vs. Relay Upgrade (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=483213)

blazed870 09-06-2011 07:19 PM

HID headlight question: Harness vs. Relay Upgrade

1 Attachment(s)
So I bought some cheap ebay 7" round headlights becaue I like the blacked out headlight. The problem is that I might as well be driving with no headlights on. They are seriously that bad. I have put HID headlights in my car and like how they light up the road and want to put them on my truck. I have read the posts of doing the wire relay upgrade and had planned on doing this, but I can get a wire harness for the HID kit for $9 and it is plug and play. Will this accomplish the same thing as the wire relay upgrade? Or should I do the wire relay upgrade instead of the wire harness, or BOTH? Below is a picture of my truck headlights, and also links to the ebay items I am looking at getting.

Here is the kit I am using, I used this same brand on my car and have had no problems with them in the 5 years they have been in use.

ebay HID kit

ebay wire harness

VetteVet 09-06-2011 11:55 PM

Re: HID headlight question: Harness vs. Relay Upgrade

2 Attachment(s)
The problem with these kits is that they only have one beam whereas the relay upgrade will do both low and high beam. You can make your own wires with the relay upgrade but the hid lights will still need the ballast.

The upgrade that so many of us have done is simple and easy to do. Here are a couple of diagrams.

The two lamp system.

Attachment 797487

And for the GM guys.

Attachment 797489

BMERDOC 09-07-2011 12:15 AM

You can do all the upgrading you want but dont expect much from those black lights, they don't reflect any light outwards. They do look good but its form and not function. Do the upgrades though so that they will be better!

Longhorn Man 09-07-2011 12:25 AM

i have some of those headlights... sittin in a box with a bunch of dust. I refuse to drive with them they are so bad.

blazed870 09-07-2011 05:03 PM

Thanks for that great diagram. No lie, my blinkers put out more lights than they do. I will try it with the HID's in there and then swap them out if(when) they still aren't bright enough. I like the look it gives the truck, and I don't drive that much at night, but I think it would be better if I could actually see at night.

Longhorn Man 09-07-2011 07:53 PM

I agree, they look bad ass... but I won't even GIVE them away they are so bad.

panhandler62 09-08-2011 07:42 AM

HIDs can get pretty hot, especially in a dark container. Not sure if that's a good way to go.

You could just dummy up the dark headlights and install auxillary headlights behind the grill.

cableguy0 09-08-2011 08:24 PM

Without the light being able to reflect It wont matter if you put 1000 watt floodlights in there. They will be dull. I would also be leary of the HID's for reasons mentioned above. The silver background of the headlight helps to relfect the heat away. The black will soak up the heat and probably melt.

Longhorn Man 09-08-2011 10:00 PM

A real HID doesn't need a reflective background, the light is magnified and aimed through a lens, the black lights mounted in that truck are not real HIDs, they are normal blue 9007 (if memory serves) hallogin bulbs though a junk lens... and that setup needs the reflective background.

69heavychevy 09-08-2011 11:48 PM

I did the relay upgrade, what I did different though was to wire each headlight to its own relay. This eliminated my high beams but it didnt matter since the HID kit didnt have high beams (wont need them anyways).