The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seven figures?!?!?! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=852568)

70STOVEBOLT 05-16-2024 02:05 PM

Seven figures?!?!?!

Check this out:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...564eaf47&ei=12

CDA 455 05-16-2024 02:52 PM

Re: Seven figures?!?!?!

Yep; a whole lot of person-hours went into that rig to make it what it is.:eek:

truckster 05-16-2024 05:43 PM

I had to laugh at this line from the article: "At the time, Chevy engineers through it safer if the rear-seat passengers were only allowed to exit on the curbside of the vehicle."

Sure, that's why there were no four-door Novas, or Chevelles, or Impalas. Or maybe they just didn't want to go to the expense of designing and manufacturing that fourth door.

'68OrangeSunshine 05-16-2024 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 9312722)
I had to laugh at this line from the article: "At the time, Chevy engineers through it safer if the rear-seat passengers were only allowed to exit on the curbside of the vehicle."

Sure, that's why there were no four-door Novas, or Chevelles, or Impalas. Or maybe they just didn't want to go to the expense of designing and manufacturing that fourth door.

Some very small school districts did use Suburbans as ''short busses.''
I rode to school, grades 1 - 4, on a short bus Chevy Suburban or GMC Carryall, but they were the Late '50s, Early '60s types. Two doors only. The driver had a long lever to open the door, and a leather strap to pull it shut. Front passenger seat was deleted. Plywood benches were built around the sides, and a locker room bench was set in the middle. Seat belts were only used by jet test pilots in this period.
This was a private carrier that served parochial and private schools.

Fifth Grade, I changed schools, and had to walk to school. Or take the CTA bus if the weather was bad. Of course [urban Chicago] if the weather was really bad and the busses didn't run, I had to press on regardless thru the driving snow, Southbound, like Capt Scott at the Antarctic.

Back on topic, I saw that article on the $1.1 Mil ICON Suburban in my Hagerty magazine. I was sorry they butchered a perfectly good K/10 body and chassis to start with. Why not resurrect a junkyard hulk?

1970cstblazer 05-17-2024 07:09 AM

That Suburban does absolutely NOTHING for me. To each his own..:waah:

kwmech 05-17-2024 10:32 AM

I looked at it also and went ......meh... I don't see a million dollars, I see a waste of money

truckster 05-17-2024 01:28 PM

When you have to make everything from billet because... well, because you want to, it certainly drives the price up. It doesn't drive the value up, in my opinion.

71meangreenc10 05-17-2024 02:22 PM

Would love to see this one up close. Saw one that came from one of the shows at Dino's and it was a nice build, but had a lot of bad gaps for a shop build.....

Saw Copperhead when it was on tour in 2006ish, clean.

No way on the price for me...

Smitty

Dashman 05-18-2024 06:30 PM

They're counting the cost of all the manhours. I don't think that having to fabricate something from scratch because you want to means that all the labor is 1 to 1 value added. ...or it has more value because it is "1 of 1". Auction it with a $100k reserve, and see if it sells. ...or shoot, a $200k reserve if they're afraid that it will sell. Maybe some Sheik in Dubai would buy it for a million just to go ramp the dunes? Hahaha

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-19-2024 12:28 AM

Fun to drive, nice quality. It was built for someone with deep pockets. Above was right to question the door bs, it was money alright, they simply didn't have rights to the trade mark, and gm sold a line. This link shows and tells...... https://youtu.be/wsnyDw8871o?si=_UXoqYDk7Ei4PMOO

72 tigger 05-19-2024 07:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well built rig and I’m sure it’s fun to drive. For $1.1 million, I would like something more creative for the fuel fill

mkmc69 05-19-2024 08:52 AM

A million plus for bumper bolts, og fuel filler and an ugly ass grille. Nope. To each their own though.

weq92f 05-19-2024 02:06 PM

I can appreciate the effort that went into all these custom made bits but some of them just don't look right...they're too bulky or don't have enough contour or something. The grill is just bad...

I would drive it but remove a lot of the custom made stuff.

-klb

BROWN 70 05-19-2024 02:22 PM

what a joke !!!

Rust_never_sleeps 05-19-2024 02:40 PM

For 1.1M, you could 5-axis the whole thing from billet

mr48chev 05-20-2024 04:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
With that you are paying for the privilege of being in the exclusive Icon owners club and get to learn the secret handshake and get a class in power parking 101 and 201.

A number of shops build nicer rigs including the shop that built this one that has built first gen Broncos that went for over 200K at Barrett Jackson
Scottsdale.

Sorry about the terrible quality of the photos, my camera died 8 photos into the show and I had to take the rest with my phone. Way too many people around this truck in what may have been it's debut as the shop where it was built is about a half mile from where the show was.