The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   old style locking hubs (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=647785)

aris_unlimited 10-27-2014 08:11 AM

old style locking hubs

I've talked to guys before that mentioned the locking hubs they had "back in the day". The way they described it was that they didn't have the switch you turn like most do. They (I've heard this from multiple people) said that you wrapped your hands around the whole hub and turned it instead.

Any thoughts on whether people still make something like this?

andrewmp6 10-27-2014 10:11 AM

Re: old style locking hubs

Look up mile marker selectro hubs probably those.

patdaly 10-27-2014 08:34 PM

Still available for some, pricey though.

http://shop.milemarker.com/p/classic...-ford-rockwell

landy 10-27-2014 10:17 PM

I've got a pair of Selectros on my '72 Blazer with Dana 44. It's too bad they're only made for a few front axles anymore.

Ziegelsteinfaust 10-27-2014 11:08 PM

Are these better then then new style? Or do they have a tendency to unlock when hit.

aris_unlimited 10-28-2014 03:32 AM

I guess you are one of the lucky ones, I was just looking on their website and they only have the ones with a switch rather than turning the whole thing for Dana 44's now. Which really sucks, because I wanted it for a dana 44 lol.

dfrank 10-28-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aris_unlimited (Post 6895116)
I guess you are one of the lucky ones, I was just looking on their website and they only have the ones with a switch rather than turning the whole thing for Dana 44's now. Which really sucks, because I wanted it for a dana 44 lol.

I believe they only work with external hubs.

landy 10-28-2014 02:06 PM

I've never hit anything with them, but I suspect they'd be more likely to break than unlock if getting hit by rocks. Probably any brand lockout is likely to break if hit hard enough.

aris_unlimited 10-29-2014 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfrank (Post 6895163)
I believe they only work with external hubs.

Maybe I'm missing something, but my hubs do stick out past the wheels...wouldn't that be considered external hub?

dfrank 10-29-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aris_unlimited (Post 6896337)
Maybe I'm missing something, but my hubs do stick out past the wheels...wouldn't that be considered external hub?

No, both internal and external hubs stick out past the the wheel. Read this to get a better understanding of the differences. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newbi...rnal-hubs.html

aris_unlimited 10-29-2014 11:52 AM

So is there any type of hub lock that will work with an internal hub that is easier to turn? I have big hands and fingers so reaching in to grab these switches can be a bit of an inconvenience lol.

landy 10-29-2014 02:17 PM

Selectros may be your best choice since they're easy to turn. You may be able to find a used set if you are vigilant.

aris_unlimited 10-30-2014 05:40 AM

I have found a couple on ebay that say they are for Dana 44s but they also say 19 spline, and I am pretty sure mine would be a 30 spline. I have no idea if that would actually make a difference.

BLT gmc 10-30-2014 12:31 PM

My 69 GMC K10 has 30 spline axles on the differential side and 19 splines on the hub side. Good luck, Bruce

MyDad'sTruck 01-01-2015 11:39 PM

I've used a set of open pliers to turn my old warn hubs. Good leverage.

OrrieG 01-08-2015 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My dad always ran these on his jeeps in the 50's and 60's, we used them hard and never had a hub failure. He was buying military surplus so it may have been what the govt. spec'd. I was not ambitious enough to search and see if they are still made or were even available for GM hubs. You flipped the levers, turned them 180 degrees and flipped them back into the slot to engage and disengage.

special-K 01-08-2015 07:12 PM

Those are Dualmatics. My dad ran those on his '62 Land Rover. Those are tough as it gets. I have a set for my '72 K2500

michael bustamante 01-08-2015 07:14 PM

i have an old wrap your hand around set that my uncle used on his half ton chevy back in the 70`s real neat retro looking

landy 01-09-2015 12:08 AM

I also had a pair of those dualmatics on a '60 Series II Land Rover. They did seem pretty stout.

undertaker72 01-09-2015 12:34 AM

I had dualmatics on my 59 fleetside napco , , you pull the arm out rotate 180 fold it back , I never ever had a problem , bulletproof , I wish things were as good now as they were back then

special-K 01-09-2015 11:35 AM

I agree. I guess it's nostalgia having a thing for these old hubs, but it's the appreciation of the quality as well. In fact, I always considered factory hubs plastic junk and switched them out right away.

aris_unlimited 01-10-2015 06:08 AM

I'm only 31 and I still love the old stuff. Considering my first car was made in 88 and pretty much newer stuff from there on out. I had a couple classics and now I prefer them. Easier to work on, more reliable etc. Especially considering the last 4wd I had was a 2007 tahoe, only had 100k miles on it and something went wrong with the 4wd in the front axle. I wasn't going to pay $400-$2000 to fix it depending on what it was so now I have a 72 GMC lol.

Vintage Windmills 01-20-2015 12:47 AM

The OEM spicers like in my avatar are good units and easy to turn with two fingers as long as you do the maintenance on them every few years and don't use heavy grease. Gear lube seems like the way to go on them. Can't beat the look of OEM either.

special-K 01-20-2015 10:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Not to argue here. I agree the Spicers are perfectly good hubs. But the hubs we're talking about here are better, if for no other reason, no plastic. Figure Spicer first made all metal hubs, too. Then by '69*, when most trucks got lock outs, they went to plastic (I figure) as a way to gain more profit. It certainly wasn't to make them stronger. One of the biggest mistakes people make is using grease outside of the wheel bearings. The other is doing no service at all. Servicing required, clean and lube...with oil.

* Plastic in grille,too. And in '72, first plastic door panels. In '73, mucho mas plastico

I do different things on different trucks. I'd use Spicers on an original truck, and have had them on about every truck I've had. But, it's way cool to use period correct upgrades on the right truck, just like Hickey stuff, Eagle Ventures hoods, aluminum slots, Ramsey winch/bumper, etc. I started out modifying these trucks when they were newer. Who wants a boring stock old man truck? And I why not increase performance to add to the pleasure? I've bought most of my cool aftermarket hubs from guys who had to have the Spicers. i like them all. I have a N.O.S. set of Spicers and even some red '70 nobs to color coordinate my GMC.

Those knob-type Selectros were available from many sources with their own name on them. Here are some examples:

61K10 01-20-2015 02:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
old spicer hubs on my k61 (wheels have been re-painted--was to cold)