The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Home brew W&G remover? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750468)

D13 11-14-2017 07:26 AM

Home brew W&G remover?

I was looking at W&G remover and it appears the 'water based' version is water, isopropyl alcohol, and acetone. In the aut industry we use straight IPA for most cleaning duties. I aasume the water is a voume carrier and the acetone is the flash agent (in school we used to use acetone to remove water from filter media before weighing). Is there any reason that a person couldn't home brew their own? The commercial stuff gets pricey when you start talking detailing frame parts with lots of little corners.

MARTINSR 11-14-2017 07:52 PM

Re: Home brew W&G remover?

You are spraying a car with MANY hundreds if not thousands of dollars in primer and paint and clear, and the wax and grease remover is $25.....Hmmmmm

I'll let you think about that a little bit.

Brian

sevt_chevelle 11-14-2017 11:27 PM

^^^^ Yep

And out of curiosity how "expensive" are you talking?

D13 11-15-2017 07:27 AM

I'm spraying sandblasted trailer and truck chassis parts (frames axles etc) and power washed / possibly blassted manual transmissions and bell housings (well oiled thanks to the dirty diesel and bad rear seal on the 250) with 2 part epoxy followed by black cheap enamel. Surface finish is unimportant, but paint adhesion is critical for my dirt road winter salt dipped drivers. Plus I have a 120 bin parts cabinet that needs to be cleaned and painted.
I use brake cleaner for small parts with lots of grease (like starter braces and shifter parts) because the power spray lets it get into the little crevices. But at $3.50 a can on sale it gets real expensive real fast. I use W&G remover on the larger stuff where I can get it relatively clean first, and that seems to run $10-15 a gallon. I used to use straight acetone ($15 / gal) or denatured alcahol ($10/gal) but the W&G seems to be right in the middle of those for grease wash off and flash times. My current jug seems to be about 50% water.

Just asking. LOL. And no, when I did the base / clear on the minivan I used the right stuff, because finish was important.

mongocanfly 11-15-2017 07:54 AM

I didn't know there was any "right stuff" for a minivan...haha

MARTINSR 11-15-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D13 (Post 8082787)
I'm spraying sandblasted trailer and truck chassis parts (frames axles etc) and power washed / possibly blassted manual transmissions and bell housings (well oiled thanks to the dirty diesel and bad rear seal on the 250) with 2 part epoxy followed by black cheap enamel. Surface finish is unimportant, but paint adhesion is critical for my dirt road winter salt dipped drivers. Plus I have a 120 bin parts cabinet that needs to be cleaned and painted.
I use brake cleaner for small parts with lots of grease (like starter braces and shifter parts) because the power spray lets it get into the little crevices. But at $3.50 a can on sale it gets real expensive real fast. I use W&G remover on the larger stuff where I can get it relatively clean first, and that seems to run $10-15 a gallon. I used to use straight acetone ($15 / gal) or denatured alcahol ($10/gal) but the W&G seems to be right in the middle of those for grease wash off and flash times. My current jug seems to be about 50% water.

Just asking. LOL. And no, when I did the base / clear on the minivan I used the right stuff, because finish was important.

Ok I'll give you a break. :lol: I still would just by the W&G remover, just the cheapest I could find. :D

Brian

D13 11-15-2017 03:19 PM

I appreciate the break.

Going to have to look around for W&G at a good price. Fortunately all out of painting weather here in MI. Sigh....

sevt_chevelle 11-15-2017 07:55 PM

Not all W&G is created equal. PPG for instance has or had 3 different ones. DX440, DX330, and DX103(I think). DX440 was their heavy duty grease remover, 330 was the typical pre prep for paint W&G and 103 was the waterborne.

If you are cleaning dirty greasy parts, Id start with DX440, hell of a lot cheaper then brake cleaner.

sprint_9 11-15-2017 08:26 PM

Put your WG remover in a good spray bottle and spray it on the parts, wipe it once with a clean rag. This is a good way to use it when your ready to paint and have the part pretty clean.

If you are going through alot of WG remover and brake clean, buy them in bulk and put them in your own sprayer, might save quite a bit just doing that.

72HuggerK20 11-16-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D13 (Post 8083038)
I appreciate the break.

Going to have to look around for W&G at a good price. Fortunately all out of painting weather here in MI. Sigh....

I actually like painting in the winter more than the summer. It's easier to heat an area than to lower the humidity.