The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   wing vent windows (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=742179)

emfh76 07-11-2017 08:39 PM

wing vent windows

Hello, I have a new project its a 1986 chevy short bed 2 wheel drive that purchased in January and I'm about to start buying parts to install this winter. I would like to rebuild the wing windows and am not sure what or where to buy from. I have looked at lmc but what I would like to find is a complete rebuild kit if there is such a thing. When I open the drivers side the whole window comes out so I'm not sure exactly what all I need. I plan on watching some videos on how to replace the seals to get a feel for what it takes to get this job done. Any info on quality products is greatly appreciated thanks.

Tash4 07-12-2017 09:14 AM

Re: wing vent windows

I have not seen a kit. I took mine apart to rebuild & had to drill out rivets. The seals were precision brand & fit was perfect. I didnt have the correct rivets to put back together, so my glass man put them back together for a price that i couldn't turn down.

TKCR 07-12-2017 10:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I sent mine off to Precision to have them rebuild them. Best way to go!! They know what there are doing and there are a few steps that can be very trying on ones patience. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. Here is the guys info, call him and you can get all your questions answered. I didn't get the complete package on mine. They were able to reuse a lot of my parts, because they were in such good condition when I sent them off.
If you do a search on vent windows, here on the forum, you will a lot of threads and most will end up going to Precision.

Greg Stroik
4611 Camp Phillips Rd.
Weston, WI 54476

1-715-359-7837

TKCR 07-12-2017 12:10 PM

Here's a few threads on the subject:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...indows&page=19

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=vent+windows

emfh76 07-12-2017 05:24 PM

Thanks for the links. Is precision the place that has stopped doing them? I was reading a thread on here and there is a company that isn't going to do them anymore I hope that's not them. I don't know if I have the patience to do them myself. I will read through the links thanks again.

TKCR 07-12-2017 07:05 PM

They haven't stopped doing them. Give Greg a call, you'll be glad you did.

moregrip 07-12-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 7989152)
I sent mine off to Precision to have them rebuild them. Best way to go!! They know what there are doing and there are a few steps that can be very trying on ones patience. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. Here is the guys info, call him and you can get all your questions answered. I didn't get the complete package on mine. They were able to reuse a lot of my parts, because they were in such good condition when I sent them off.
If you do a search on vent windows, here on the forum, you will a lot of threads and most will end up going to Precision.

Greg Stroik
4611 Camp Phillips Rd.
Weston, WI 54476

1-715-359-7837

Oh very nice indeed!

68Timber 07-12-2017 07:41 PM

I'm pretty sure Ken posted in his 77 rebuild thread that Precision is done with wing window rebuilds to focus on other things. But rebuilding them is not hard, just takes a little time and patience like anything else.

funkatation 07-20-2017 12:25 AM

I just sent mine in. I spoke with Greg today and they are working on replacement vent windows. When they are released they will stop rebuilding. No eta on the new product, but I'd send them in soon. I also saw that LMC is offering replacement ones for 200 each.

NorCalAnthony 07-20-2017 03:45 PM

If you don't mind my asking, what's the going rate for having precision rebuild the vent windows? I need to take care of the vent windows on my '84 K5 and with how busy I am at work right now having somebody else handle that part could be well worth it...

funkatation 07-20-2017 03:48 PM

I was quoted 175 per but he did tell me they did have a price increase, not sure what it is.

TKCR 07-20-2017 03:59 PM

Mine was $100 each, but I had already bought my seals, rivets and springs, thinking I would do them myself. So I sent my parts with the vents to be rebuilt. I also kept my handles, because they were in good shape. And they didn't have to replace my vent window frame, mine was not rusted, like so many are. And they will use new ones if they need replaced.

rvrfoot 08-08-2017 10:19 PM

For my 66 thay want $460 to do mine.

rip2174 08-11-2017 07:53 AM

I had mine done by Precision last year and was like 250. Great work.

1774btcrew 08-11-2017 01:39 PM

A good option is some later model 88-91 Suburban/Blazer vents(crewcab if you can find them) They seem to almost always be in good shape.

Rich84 08-11-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1774btcrew (Post 8014362)
A good option is some later model 88-91 Suburban/Blazer vents(crewcab if you can find them) They seem to almost always be in good shape.

Do those have black levers?

1774btcrew 08-11-2017 04:25 PM

Rich84, they do have black outer buttons. Really easy to change out with chrome if you prefer

Precision Parts 08-11-2017 04:29 PM

Just to clear up a little confusion on our rebuild program. We did plan to discontinue it a short while ago which is where Ken got the info. However, after many requests we decided to proceed with it and now have a dedicated person rebuilding them. We have had to increase the cost to $275 per side because of the labor costs though. Sorry for the confusion!

Anyone who has had them rebuilt can vouch for the quality that is put into these. We have worked with a number of great builders out there including Ken with Scarlett, Mike Losh, all three of his builds, Eric Steinbrecher with Tootsie and Chris Stafford with his last two builds, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions and please pass this on if you see other threads develop.

Derek

moregrip 08-11-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Precision Parts (Post 8014446)
Just to clear up a little confusion on our rebuild program. We did plan to discontinue it a short while ago which is where Ken got the info. However, after many requests we decided to proceed with it and now have a dedicated person rebuilding them. We have had to increase the cost to $275 per side because of the labor costs though. Sorry for the confusion!

Anyone who has had them rebuilt can vouch for the quality that is put into these. We have worked with a number of great builders out there including Ken with Scarlett, Mike Losh, all three of his builds, Eric Steinbrecher with Tootsie and Chris Stafford with his last two builds, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions and please pass this on if you see other threads develop.

Derek

Awesome!!:metal:

TKCR 08-11-2017 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted pics of mine, up there on #3, of this thread. I can vouch for the quality, best money you'll ever spend on your beloved truck. They helped dramatically on the wind noise too.
Here's a pic after they were installed back in the truck.

84lngbed 08-12-2017 01:12 AM

Can vouch on the quality of rebuild. Plus they kept me up to date on the rebuild progress.

Dayton601 08-13-2017 02:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rebuild them yourself, super easy, around $40 or so for seals for both sides, if your vent channels are good re-use them, if not they are around $25 to $30 each, $4 buck for rivets, the biggest problem is flaring the one rivet at the hinge, took and old set of bolt cutters ground off the end and used it to squeeze the flair tool, worked like a charm,

TKCR 08-13-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayton601 (Post 8015398)
Rebuild them yourself, super easy, around $40 or so for seals for both sides, if your vent channels are good re-use them, if not they are around $25 to $30 each, $4 buck for rivets, the biggest problem is flaring the one rivet at the hinge, took and old set of bolt cutters ground off the end and used it to squeeze the flair tool, worked like a charm,

You did a good job!!:metal:

Skeetman 08-15-2017 12:24 PM

I had Precision rebuild my vent windows and they whistle worse than the original old ones. Not happy at all. For the money I should have upgraded to the one piece window conversion to eliminate the vent windows.