The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tire dry rot during build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=671584)

70' 05-24-2015 10:23 AM

Tire dry rot during build

I am in the process of a full frame off restoration and I am on the brink of having the frame and driveline completed. I would like to go ahead and buy my new wheels and tires so the frame can be back in a roller status but I have concerns that the tire wil dry rot before I get the truck back on the road. I anticipate another 3-5 years to complete the rest of the project. The project is inside my garage and is not subjected to sun or weather. If I did put the new wheels and tires on the vehicle would be left on jack stands under the axles so the weight would not be on the tires. Is it a good idea to go ahead with the tires or wait until the the last minute to prolong life? Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

LockDoc 05-24-2015 10:30 AM

Re: Tire dry rot during build

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70' (Post 7183708)
I am in the process of a full frame off restoration and I am on the brink of having the frame and driveline completed. I would like to go ahead and buy my new wheels and tires so the frame can be back in a roller status but I have concerns that the tire wil dry rot before I get the truck back on the road. I anticipate another 3-5 years to complete the rest of the project. The project is inside my garage and is not subjected to sun or weather. If I did put the new wheels and tires on the vehicle would be left on jack stands under the axles so the weight would not be on the tires. Is it a good idea to go ahead with the tires or wait until the the last minute to prolong life? Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

If I were you I would buy some cheap rollers off of craigslist. No way would I buy my good tires now.

Just my 2¢ worth....

LockDoc

71blksuper4x4 05-24-2015 10:32 AM

Just find some cheap rollers for now. Don't take a chance. My opinion. Trevor

leddzepp 05-24-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockdoc (Post 7183714)
if i were you i would buy some cheap rollers off of craigslist. No way would i buy my good tires now.

Just my 2¢ worth....

Lockdoc

x2

71blksuper4x4 05-24-2015 10:34 AM

If you have to have the wheels and are set on a style, I recommend buying the wheels now. So many get discontinued and you might struggle to find what you want when the time comes. Trevor

57larry 05-24-2015 11:26 AM

if it's 3-5 yrs, I'd wait for new tires & wheels. just put some junk rollers on it for now

In The Ten Ring 05-24-2015 11:31 AM

I have 4 new tires on my truck with like 100 miles on them tops. Bad thing is the truck has been parked in a cold/moisture/hot garage for 10 years sitting on those same tires. They still hold air but I'll replace them when I get the truck running and driving.....it'd be silly for me to replace them now and frankly, very difficult....room in the garage for even wheel changes is very limited.

ssxty8 05-24-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockdoc (Post 7183714)
if i were you i would buy some cheap rollers off of craigslist. No way would i buy my good tires now.

Just my 2¢ worth....

Lockdoc

ditto.
http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tires...-in-six-years/

Custom/Ten 05-24-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7183714)
If I were you I would buy some cheap rollers off of craigslist. No way would I buy my good tires now.

Just my 2¢ worth....

LockDoc

That advice is worth a lot more than 2 cents!

BossHogg69 05-24-2015 01:19 PM

I bought my wheels & tires about halfway through my build (3 yrs ago or so) only because I got a deal on them I couldn't pass up. I kept my chassis in the garage at my house and the tires are still like new, but the wheels got a scuff here and there from shuffling the chassis around and working on the chassis & body with them mounted on the frame. Nothing major, but if you have some really nice/expensive wheels in mind, you may want to wait to save from beating them up.

If I had to do it over, I would probably do as the others suggested and mounted up some used rollers with crappy tires and kept the other wheels put up to keep from getting scuffed.

special-K 05-24-2015 05:10 PM

I'm dieing to buy my tires, but must restrain and stay with cheap rollers. < I have to keep telling myself that.

treveiger 05-24-2015 05:21 PM

I'd just buy cheap ones. Even if they "look good" they can still blow up. My father in law learned that the hard way.

In The Ten Ring 05-24-2015 05:42 PM

The temptation to buy something new and nice is strong! I nearly (was on the payment page) bought a new fuel tank cardboard cover last night but there is no need to do that now. I'll have the seat out again when it get it reupholstered so I'll get a new one then.

Get by with old for now and when you are ready to license your truck, then get 5 new tires (one of those is the spare).

kowboy63 05-24-2015 11:52 PM

3-5 years.....You'll probably change your mind on wheels at least a dozen times by then. Just buy some cheap rollers & see what you want when the time comes.

kingstrider 05-25-2015 12:53 PM

You can find rollers all day long on craigslist. I'm about to pop for a set of rally wheels just because they are so cheap.