The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ignition switch bug (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=801894)

MidLifer 02-27-2020 04:09 PM

Ignition switch bug

I'm hoping that LockDoc or one of the other lock experts can help me with this one.

My battery was dying on a regular basis but I couldn't find a parasitic drain for the life of me. Then I realized that on one out of three times or so that I would shut the truck off and pull the key, the ignition switch would be in ACC instead of off. The key cylinder would only be cocked a few degrees to the left, not all the way into the ACC position. But it was the source of the current drain.

My question - is the fault with the switch or the lock cylinder?

LockDoc 02-27-2020 04:43 PM

Re: Ignition switch bug

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidLifer (Post 8685577)
I'm hoping that LockDoc or one of the other lock experts can help me with this one.

My battery was dying on a regular basis but I couldn't find a parasitic drain for the life of me. Then I realized that on one out of three times or so that I would shut the truck off and pull the key, the ignition switch would be in ACC instead of off. The key cylinder would only be cocked a few degrees to the left, not all the way into the ACC position. But it was the source of the current drain.

It is really hard to tell which it is without changing the lock cylinder, to see if that cures it. Is your key in bad shape? (worn)

LockDoc

Steeveedee 02-27-2020 05:38 PM

I'd try the lock cylinder first, since the key generally shouldn't pull out except in the "Off" position.

Andy4639 02-27-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidLifer (Post 8685577)

My Ramp truck 56 and 64 Impala both will let me pull the key out in ACC. I have got in the habit off turning it all the way left then back 1 notch.:chevy:

MidLifer 02-27-2020 06:49 PM

Thanks all - Leon, the key is rather new. I sent my locks to a list member a few years back to have them all rekeyed with one key.

I guess it's the cylinder then. I'll buy a new one and find a local locksmith to rekey it.

LockDoc 02-27-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidLifer (Post 8685661)
Thanks all - Leon, the key is rather new. I sent my locks to a list member a few years back to have them all rekeyed with one key.

I guess it's the cylinder then. I'll buy a new one and find a local locksmith to rekey it.

Be careful what you get. If you buy one made overseas he may not be able to re-key it. The tumblers are not interchangeable with GM stuff on some of them.

Also if the new lock cylinder does not have the same keyway as your other locks he won't be able to do it. What year is your truck and Is there a letter stamped into your key? If your truck is a '71 it should be the letter "A".

LockDoc

rpmerf 02-28-2020 07:31 AM

My truck does this. Learned real quick not to just turn and pull. Instead move it by the feel of the notch until it is straight up and down. I don't even think about it anymore.

derotoreut 02-28-2020 09:01 AM

I used to have a '67 GTO that would allow me to remove the key while the engine was still running. It never caused any battery drain in any way. I always thought that was kind of cool to be able to do that.

MidLifer 02-28-2020 05:30 PM

Yep my key is an A. I was going to order the AC Delco part. It’s available on Rock and Amazon for about $10. I had looked it up for my year on Rock, would that part number have the A keyway?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8685759)
Be careful what you get. If you buy one made overseas he may not be able to re-key it. The tumblers are not interchangeable with GM stuff on some of them.

Also if the new lock cylinder does not have the same keyway as your other locks he won't be able to do it. What year is your truck and Is there a letter stamped into your key? If your truck is a '71 it should be the letter "A".

LockDoc

LockDoc 02-28-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidLifer (Post 8686225)
Yep my key is an A. I was going to order the AC Delco part. It’s available on Rock and Amazon for about $10. I had looked it up for my year on Rock, would that part number have the A keyway?

No way to tell. I looked at a couple of them to see if I could see a letter designation on the key in the pictures and one of them on Rock had a "C" on it and one on Amazon had an "E" on it. It would be a crap shoot.

LockDoc

MidLifer 02-29-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8686271)
No way to tell. I looked at a couple of them to see if I could see a letter designation on the key in the pictures and one of them on Rock had a "C" on it and one on Amazon had an "E" on it. It would be a crap shoot.

LockDoc

Maybe I’ll visit the local stealership and see if they can help. Would be worth a few bucks more to get the right thing.

LockDoc 02-29-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidLifer (Post 8686821)
Maybe I’ll visit the local stealership and see if they can help. Would be worth a few bucks more to get the right thing.

If you don't find anything let me know and I'll see what I can come up with. If nothing else maybe I can rebuild yours.

LockDoc