The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Using Air Shocks WITH Air Bags?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=734278)

sharkskinman 03-31-2017 07:44 PM

Using Air Shocks WITH Air Bags??

65 C10

Front stock shocks can be used as rear shocks when lowered

But I've been contemplating the idea of using air shocks with the airbag whether having a separate inflation line or possibly reducing the inlet for the air shocks so much that when you air up the airbags it allows air to seep in to the air shocks but it's small enough that it still gives it some sort of dampening property

Or maybe a proportion valve between bag and shock?

Thoughts??

PGSigns 03-31-2017 08:05 PM

Re: Using Air Shocks WITH Air Bags??

Why?
Jimmy

sharkskinman 03-31-2017 09:20 PM

Y not

Ghostwhite 04-01-2017 02:56 AM

An air shock tied into the bag would not have much benefit in actual dampening force, you already have 'load control' with the bag.

If you ran the air shock separately and in a manner to control rebound(think cantilevered applying an opposite force to the lifting action of the bag) it may be possible but would severely over-complicate your suspension with little net gain over a standard shock.

sharkskinman 04-01-2017 03:00 AM

Anyone know of a stock shock that works on lowered c10?

Ghostwhite 04-01-2017 03:06 AM

It would depend on how you lowered your truck and therefore what lengths you would need.

Finding a shock that fit would be one thing but having the right valving could prove more tricky.

PGSigns 04-02-2017 07:28 PM

It is better to run shock relocators on the back and to buy shock designed for our trucks. That way you get a chock valved for the weight and ratios. I use the Ridetech street performance shocks and they work well.
Jimmy

James the III 04-02-2017 10:08 PM

I don't know why you couldn't use just the shock re-locators and air shocks in the rear.. if the bed will never be loaded..
Many of the airride shock/bag units are just fancy air shocks

andrewmp6 04-03-2017 03:04 AM

Air shocks should be left in the 70s/80s where they belong.The idea of them was to level out a truck that is towing or hauling.But a shock and its mounts are never designed to be a load point that air shocks become.Today airbags for that work better and i rather have air bags and normal shocks.Look up how to measure shock absorber length and call summit racing they can give you a oem shock that will fit your needs.

sharkskinman 04-03-2017 03:16 AM

I know how to measure!
So if I call summit they'll tell me stock shock reference or Their shock reference?

I bought a pair for my bug vert and the of mount holes aren't parallel.. The air shock mounts Are

Figured I'd see if I could use them

James the III 04-03-2017 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmp6 (Post 7904916)
Air shocks should be left in the 70s/80s where they belong.The idea of them was to level out a truck that is towing or hauling.But a shock and its mounts are never designed to be a load point that air shocks become.Today airbags for that work better and i rather have air bags and normal shocks.Look up how to measure shock absorber length and call summit racing they can give you a oem shock that will fit your needs.

oh look todays ridetech shockwaves . looks like fancy smancy air shocks to me..
http://speednik.com/files/2011/04/IMG_7180.jpg

http://www.fulltiltstreetrods.com/sh...vytrk4bar1.jpg

andrewmp6 04-03-2017 09:57 PM

The shockwave is a bag over a shock just like a coilover is a spring over a shock.The shockwave the air bag is the spring while the shock is just a shock.

James the III 04-04-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmp6 (Post 7905748)
The shockwave is a bag over a shock just like a coilover is a spring over a shock.The shockwave the air bag is the spring while the shock is just a shock.

and an old air shock was ??

Willie Makeit 04-04-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James the III (Post 7905986)
and an old air shock was ??

nothing like that

andrewmp6 04-05-2017 02:20 AM

A air shock is a shock with a small air bladder inside that gives a few inches of adjustment.A shock wave has a lot more height adjustment and travel on it,Think of them more like a coil over strut that most cars run on them today but a air bag not coil spring on it.