The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ned help cargo lamo wire (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=732131)

loujizzel 03-07-2017 07:20 AM

Ned help cargo lamo wire

hi guys, ok prior to me doing a cargo lamp delete both cargo light and dome light were working off the switch. but since the delete the cargo lamp delete the dome light will not come back on, i have the orange and white wire snipped off at the ends.. and the dome light is still wired up.. how can i wire it up so that the switch work for the dome light only....

mongocanfly 03-07-2017 12:09 PM

Re: Ned help cargo lamo wire

Have you checked to make sure you have power in and out of your switch and the bulb? Im trying to remember but I think mine only worked if the lights were on.(maybe that was just the cargo light).I know I rewired my lights with a constant power supply so theyd work when I wanted them to

loujizzel 03-07-2017 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply but it was working even if the truck was off I read somewhere that it's part of the circuit the cargo light I mean so the cargo light works with the dome light it actually completes the circuit so just trying to figure out how I can delete those wires and still make the circuit I am definitely not an electrician

loujizzel 03-08-2017 07:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So after reading and looking at diagrams it seems like the cargo lamp is the switch. Now that it is gone my cab light wont work because the circut is not complete... i took some pics so you can see my situation and maybe someone can give me and ez fix ( it's never easy)

Pic 1 where the cargo lamp used to be

Pic 2 the dome light

Pic 3 the remaining wires after cargo lamp was deleted

Pic 4 the backside of the switch the back side of the switch

loujizzel 03-08-2017 07:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics 3 and 4

mongocanfly 03-08-2017 08:47 PM

One of those wires coming up behind the door post is going to be your interior light wire..it will only have power on it when the door is open or you have you headlight switch turned for interior lights..find that wire and hook it to the hot wire going directly to the interior light..bypass the cargo light switch..you won't need it..like I said I wired mine independent of each other..

loujizzel 03-09-2017 12:15 AM

Thank you... im still lost but its the best answer i got thus far... I want mine to work the way you have yours where I hit the switch and then comes on... funny cause the light under the dash comes on when i open the door.... geez now to find that wire i have zero experience with wires... im a visual type of guy i wish you took pics of your hook up

mongocanfly 03-09-2017 01:00 AM

Your dome light should have come on with the underdash lights before you removed the cargo..and it still should when you wire it in now..get yourself a test light if you don't have a volt meter and start checking for the hot wire when the door is open..

homemade87 03-10-2017 08:46 AM

Lou , Did you get this sorted out . I just seen this .

If you have not gotten it fixed yet the orange wire is +12v all the time . What happens to make the light come on is the white wire is a ground that attaches to the door jam switch that completes the circuit . So if you attach the orange wire to the int light , also the white wire to the cargo light it should work just like before .

loujizzel 03-10-2017 08:59 AM

No not yet but I will try it the way you said.... remember I don't have the cargo light but what if I ran the orange wire to the light under the dash and just grounded the white wire would that work... if that will work that means that every time I open the door the under dash light and dome like should come on simultaneously..... what I would like to see is the light come on with the switch...... if you look at the picture of the switch from behind there are two orange wires connected to it is there a way to ground one of those wires and keep the switch two light up the dome light

homemade87 03-10-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loujizzel (Post 7881651)
No not yet but I will try it the way you said.... remember I don't have the cargo light but what if I ran the orange wire to the light under the dash and just grounded the white wire would that work... if that will work that means that every time I open the door the under dash light and dome like should come on simultaneously..... what I would like to see is the light come on with the switch...... if you look at the picture of the switch from behind there are two orange wires connected to it is there a way to ground one of those wires and keep the switch two light up the dome light

If you are only wanting the dome to come on with the switch just ground the light white wire to the body and use the switched orange to control the light . Remember the orange is 12v all the time to the switch ( do not ground a orange wire ) so when the door is opened it will no longer turn the dome on like this and will only be controlled by the switch .

Note , The white wire (ground )will not be needed coming from the harness if wire like this .

mongocanfly 03-10-2017 01:42 PM

I was looking at a wiring diagram for it but can't make heads or tails of it..but like homemade is saying if the orange is hot all the time and the white is a switched ground thru the door open switch then that should do it...if I remember right I think the only way my cargo light worked was if the interior light was on..I know i pulled a seperate hot for the cargo..i didnt like the way it used to work was so i know I wired mine separately so I can turn on my cargo whenver I wanted without the interior having to be on...and I moved my cargo light to my roll bar from the back of the cab.. Its been several years though since I did this.. my rememberer don't work like it used to..

homemade87..he deleted his cargo light but shouldn't the interior work thru his cargo light switch even without the cargo light?..should be the same as if the cargo light was off

mongocanfly 03-10-2017 02:52 PM

Ok..I went out and looked at my truck and here's what I did..the orange and white wire is coming up behind the door post..and I cut the wires loose from the switch and bypassed the cargo light switch and the orange and white wire then goes to the interior light...
for my cargo light I ran a constant hot up to my cargo light switch and then on to my cargo light and frame grounded my cargo light..

loujizzel 03-10-2017 03:10 PM

Ok

loujizzel 03-10-2017 03:13 PM

Man you guys are great I appreciate you guys taking the time out to help me out with this small issue that's turning ridiculous I can't believe there's not a video on YouTube about how to do this I know I'm not the only one who deleted a cargo light

mongocanfly 03-10-2017 04:35 PM

Sorry I steered you wrong at first..for some reason I was thinking the switch sent power to the light..not that the switch actually completed the ground circuit

loujizzel 03-10-2017 04:48 PM

No worry brother I think what I'm going to do is take the orange wire that I have cut from the cargo light and I'm going to run that to a hot lead maybe even the battery of the car and then I'm going to ground the white wire and see what happens what else can I do but blew a fuse

Pontiac1976 03-12-2017 03:15 PM

I know I late but the cargo light wiring just unplugs. Up near the dome light you did not have to cut wires.

loujizzel 03-18-2017 02:30 PM

for all those who gave me some ideas to ix my little problem thank you... its working the way i want it to :metal:

mongocanfly 03-18-2017 03:39 PM

Good deal...