The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How are the lower radiator brackets removed and installed? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=733287)

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-20-2017 03:31 PM

How are the lower radiator brackets removed and installed?

Any help appreciated, see captions please...........Thanks

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7e&oe=5953DE97

67ChevyRedneck 03-20-2017 03:33 PM

Re: How are the lower radiator brackets removed and installed?

I can't even remotely see those, even on my 23" screen.

If I recall correctly, you remove the rubber pad (it just pulls out) and there's 2 rivets under there. You can rivet, bolt, or screw them back in, up to you.

RodnRudy 03-20-2017 03:44 PM

Looks like you have the longer 4 row brackets. Just bend the lip of the core support down where it is hitting the bracket and it should lay flat as it is supposed to.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-20-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 7891858)
I can't even remotely see those, even on my 23" screen.

If I recall correctly, you remove the rubber pad (it just pulls out) and there's 2 rivets under there. You can rivet, bolt, or screw them back in, up to you.

Sorry, 900 pixels usually works.

Whoops, I didn't think to remove the pad first. How about that positioning? It's as if they're the wrong brackets. The core bushings are toast, but I wouldn't think that would be it.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-20-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodnRudy (Post 7891864)
Looks like you have the longer 4 row brackets. Just bend the lip of the core support down where it is hitting the bracket and it should lay flat as it is supposed to.

It is a four core radiator. Hmmmm.........You figure that means it wasn't 4 core from factory, or this is the product of their labor?

That's twice in a week I've had reason to purchase a torch.

Mryan 03-20-2017 03:50 PM

I modified the front so the bracket could lay flat, then riveted the new one back in place. I did not have to do this with the two row, but the new three row did exactly what you show in the picture when trying to place the mount. I took a small vise grip and bent the ridge down and it has worked well.

FirstOwner69 03-20-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 7891868)
It is a four core radiator. Hmmmm.........You figure that means it wasn't 4 core from factory, or this is the product of their labor?

That's twice in a week I've had reason to purchase a torch.

Torch??? As stated above, use vice grips to bend the lip toward the engine down. Generally, that's what the factory did for the 4-row radiators. Also, drill the rivets and replace them with small bolts of your choosing as stated above. I used flat head 1/4" stove bolts as short as I could go with the heads up.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-20-2017 06:34 PM

Dumb question of the day (pull pad for surprise). Yeah rivets and thanks for the help.

Looks like there are two bracket position options in the core support. Mine were on the outside, so that's where I bent the core support using a crescent wrench. Crossing my fingers the new radiator doesn't want the inner.

It doesn't require much of a bend, though I could go a hair more. Fits like it should as stated...........Thanks a bunch.

The mess is one reason I no longer buy cheap batteries.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...be&oe=59557FF8

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a0&oe=5926CA45

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-20-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 7891977)
Torch??? As stated above, use vice grips to bend the lip toward the engine down. Generally, that's what the factory did for the 4-row radiators. Also, drill the rivets and replace them with small bolts of your choosing as stated above. I used flat head 1/4" stove bolts as short as I could go with the heads up.

HA!@........Okay, not a torch. It bends easily. But I need one for a bench seat rod.

RodnRudy 03-20-2017 06:42 PM

You can see from your first pic that the radiator was sitting wrong on the lower pads from the way the pads are crunched down. Good job on the fix.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-20-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodnRudy (Post 7892001)
You can see from your first pic that the radiator was sitting wrong on the lower pads from the way the pads are crunched down. Good job on the fix.

Good point and thanks for the props.........Next up is the acid caked battery box. Can't find the garbage fast enough.

randy500 03-20-2017 06:50 PM

The factory usually beds the core support down like you did, surprised it wasn't installed correctly in the first place.

Already Gone 03-20-2017 08:10 PM

subscribed

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-20-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy500 (Post 7892008)
The factory usually beds the core support down like you did, surprised it wasn't installed correctly in the first place.

Yeah, figures they were stoned when it was added. I misspoke about a "clip" in the bracket. It's just a tab that's SUPPOSED to insert into the hole in the support.

Misspoke about junking the battery box too. I scrubbed acid off enough to justify keeping it around a while. The sides are great. I did get a one piece after-market from Manes, which is a nice box. I guess the original is three pieces. Tack welded, I'm assuming.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...10&oe=596089EC

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...59&oe=592A0AD9

67ChevyRedneck 03-20-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 7891991)
Dumb question of the day (pull pad for surprise). Yeah rivets and thanks for the help.

Looks like there are two bracket position options in the core support. Mine were on the outside, so that's where I bent the core support using a crescent wrench. Crossing my fingers the new radiator doesn't want the inners.

GM had 3 radiators with 2 different brackets. GM had a narrow bracket and a wider bracket.

The standard radiator was a 2 row. It used the narrow brackets and it also used those "inside" mounting holes your referring too.

The 3 row used the narrower brackets as well (if you've seen a factory two row, they look funny because they use the same tanks as the 3 row, but have one less core, so the tanks stick out like 1/2" past the core). The three row is wider than the 2 row and uses the same "outside" bracket holes as the 4 row.

The 4 row uses the wide brackets and the outside bracket holes.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-20-2017 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 7892228)
GM had 3 radiators with 2 different brackets. GM had a narrow bracket and a wider bracket.

The standard radiator was a 2 row. It used the narrow brackets and it also used those "inside" mounting holes your referring too.

The 3 row used the narrower brackets as well (if you've seen a factory two row, they look funny because they use the same tanks as the 3 row, but have one less core, so the tanks stick out like 1/2" past the core). The three row is wider than the 2 row and uses the same "outside" bracket holes as the 4 row.

The 4 row uses the wide brackets and the outside bracket holes.

Just realized there are two provisions for a radiator, but only on the RH side. Good stuff, thanks for the info. I don't recall seeing a two row, but I'll look one up. Engine matters I suppose. I figured four row was standard for BBC, but probably figured wrong.

67ChevyRedneck 03-21-2017 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They look weird. My 67 had one. It seems they were mostly used on I6 manual trucks.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-21-2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 7892334)
They look weird. My 67 had one. It seems they were mostly used on I6 manual trucks.

I've seen those. They do look a little off - almost "incomplete".

Something else I noticed about the bottom brackets tonight. If your 46 year old dry climate bushings are shot like a certain Custom Deluxe, there's no getting a nut on the LH side. In other terms, I'd be drilling anyway. A nut would have dug into the bushing. Don't know how long the rivets are, but it probably was against the bushing.