The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Who is you favorite country music artist? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750576)

Desert_Eagle02 11-16-2017 01:20 AM

Who is you favorite country music artist?

Who is your favorite? New or old. I have too many. Hank Jr. Waylon, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yoakam, Charlie Daniels. Newer country is, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, George Strait. A few others I'm forgetting... Who are your guy's favorites?

kwmech 11-16-2017 01:27 AM

Re: Who is you favorite country music artist?

I like a lot of the oldies also, this afternoon I was blasting Charlie Daniels in the shop, but lately I've been liking Kenny Chesney's music

mongocanfly 11-16-2017 02:00 AM

what your calling new is what I put in the old category. and thats about all i listen to.....all this new stuff they play nowadays is not country..I don't care what they call it...don't listen to it either..I'd have to say early Blake Shelton and back

special-K 11-16-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert_Eagle02 (Post 8083480)
Who is your favorite? New or old. I have too many. Hank Jr. Waylon, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yoakam, Charlie Daniels

I'll add Hank's dad, Don Williams, Emmy Lou Harris, Dolly Pardon, Loretta Lynn, Ricky Scaggs, and Gram Parsons to that great list. Hank Williams and Gram Parsons are the all-time great singer song writers in American country music for me. They broke molds. I'm not into country pop but I love the '70s country rock! That's back when the country music industry flat out ignored those long haired hippy country boys with a love of the roots of country. Back when country hits had big horn sections

68C15 11-16-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Who is your favorite? New or old. I have too many. Hank Jr. Waylon, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Dwight Yoakam, Charlie Daniels. Newer country is, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, George Strait. A few others I'm forgetting... Who are your guy's favorites?

You and I are going to get along just fine.

You forgot Jerry Reed, ;)

I have my ipad hooked to some Boston computer speakers at work. Amazon Music has a 70's Country station. But just to keep it interesting I do a changeup when I'm doing in-depth work, I turn on Russian Folk music

rgunlock 11-16-2017 08:57 AM

Many you guys listed, but also Clint Black and Travis Tritt.

richard2717 11-16-2017 09:13 AM

Conway Twitty, Reba, Merle Haggard George Jones. For the most part, country music is dead in my opinion. What they call country now, I call light rock. I don't listen to any music anymore except what I play in my head. Lost my hearing several years back lol

68C15 11-16-2017 09:39 AM

My concern is why you put anyone before Waylon in your list

And there's another missing. I'll give you a test and see if you can guess who from this song quote.
"You're as smooth as Tennessee whiskey"

No? Try this one

"I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

richard2717 11-16-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 8083582)
And there's another missing. I'll give you a test and see if you can guess who from this song quote.

No? Try this one

See post above For Merle..... only CD I played in the truck whe nI could still hear

hambone61 11-16-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 8083582)
My concern is why you put anyone before Waylon in your list

No? Try this one

Second one is David Allen coe

100%Chevy 11-16-2017 10:38 AM

I have a long list of country/western artists!
Here's a few---
Willie Nelson,Waylon Jennings,Kris Kristopherson,Johnny Cash,George Jones.
I don't care for the newer style of country/western where it's all looks and no talent with rock and roll and rap all mixed together!
Mike.:chevy:

Indian113 11-16-2017 10:41 AM

The Man in Black- Johnny Cash!

Ol Blue K20 11-16-2017 10:52 AM

Moe Bandy and Joe Stamply great funny story songs....

Warrens69GMC 11-16-2017 12:34 PM

....and Red Sovine, Tom T. Hall, Glen Campbell

B. W. 11-16-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

You know George Strait did a retirement tour a couple years ago & Alan Jackson is 59. You might want to update your "New Country" list! No, I get you & feel the same way.

I like all of the singers mentioned in this thread. Don't listen to nashville music any more - I don't think it's country.

There are some young outlaws though:
Cody Jinks
Whitey Morgan
Jamey Johnson
Tyler Childers
Colter Wall
Sturgill Simpson (he gets out there at times)

Like Mo Pitney too, very young man but plays it right.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 11-16-2017 12:46 PM

I dig somewhat deeply into music, but country and real jazz (swing) are my downfall. Jazz is amazing, and someday I'll dive in.

Country is growing on me. Couldn't tell you of any new artists, and I don't know much history. But Johnny Cash carries more songs on my collection than any artist. 95 tunes to be exact. The train can't be denied, while there's so much that goes into his music.

Boog 11-16-2017 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=68C15

None other than old George Jones.

Desert_Eagle02 11-16-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. W. (Post 8083693)
You know George Strait did a retirement tour a couple years ago & Alan Jackson is 59. You might want to update your "New Country" list! No, I get you & feel the same way.

I like all of the singers mentioned in this thread. Don't listen to nashville music any more - I don't think it's country.

There are some young outlaws though:
Cody Jinks
Whitey Morgan
Jamey Johnson
Tyler Childers
Colter Wall
Sturgill Simpson (he gets out there at times)

Like Mo Pitney too, very young man but plays it right.

I guess I should change it from newer country to 90's country haha. The "country" they are making now is terrible in my opinion. It's like pop music or rock except they sing about tractors and trucks lol.

I actually listen to quite a few of the guys you mentioned, I guess they slipped my mind. I'll have to check out the others you listed. Funny thing, I have ran into a couple band members of Whitey Morgan in Michigan. Never seen Whitey though. One of their girlfriends showed me some pictures of them all just hanging out and stuff. And Whitey drives a K5 Blazer so that's pretty cool too.

Coley 11-16-2017 06:07 PM

Wow...where to start...a lot of good choices here.
In my opinion...Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Dwight Yoakam, early Buck Owens, Roger Miller, ....then Glen Campbell (prodigy guitarist that guy).
..moving forward...Garth Brooks...
I don't think there is any list that doesn't have Waylon it.

Coley

Coley 11-16-2017 06:13 PM

...oh, and a quick shout out to a couple others as well....Junior Brown (...'broke down south of dallas...lol) and BR549....another bad a little bit out of the mainstream but with some great stuff.

All good
Coley

Black_Sheep 11-16-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 8083930)
...oh, and a quick shout out to a couple others as well....Junior Brown (...'broke down south of dallas...lol) and BR549....another bad a little bit out of the mainstream but with some great stuff.

All good
Coley

Junior is on my "road trip" playlist, along with a little bit of everything from old country to current day stuff. Waylon, Willie, Haggard, Jones, Brooks & Dunn, Garth, Hank Jr, Jason Aldean, Jamey Johnson, Aaron Lewis, Alison Krauss, Dwight, Gary Allan, Strait, Asleep at the Wheel, Conway. I'm all over the map...

LockDoc 11-16-2017 09:24 PM

-
Most of the OLDER ones listed, and I always liked Randy Travis but boy did he screw his life up, that really surprised me.

I ran across this song by Stella Parton a while back and I can't get it out of my head. Have you ever done that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3025TTFUnVY

LockDoc

Desert_Eagle02 11-17-2017 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8084109)
-
Most of the OLDER ones listed, and I always liked Randy Travis but boy did he screw his life up, that really surprised me.

I ran across this song by Stella Parton a while back and I can't get it out of my head. Have you ever done that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3025TTFUnVY

LockDoc

That is a good song. Never heard it before.

Desert_Eagle02 11-17-2017 12:58 AM

Luke Bell is pretty good too. He's a young guy with an old sound.

https://youtu.be/9JWublprxx4

72supr 11-17-2017 01:19 AM

Gary Stewart is one of my favorites.His vibrato voice and honkytonk sound was great.Sad fact he took his own life but he had some great songs back in the seventies. T G Shepard,Gene Watson were a couple more singers from back then that were darn good.Most of the crap now that they call country is far from it.