The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   door gaskets (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=757653)

lowdownstar 02-21-2018 08:46 PM

door gaskets

i am not sure what to buy to replace my door gaskets, Steele rubber has two different types a small and reg and soft seal only has one type. any feed back on witch one you used and how it worked out, would be great.

Thanks Ray

DransportGarage 02-21-2018 09:20 PM

Re: door gaskets

I have SoffSeal, and I would buy them again!

Dan in Pasadena 02-21-2018 09:40 PM

I have ALWAYS heard Steele Rubber is the best, period. That said I bought SoftSeal because I was standing at the counter at The Truck Shop in Orange, CA. They are installed and work fine.

FYI: I also bought my front and rear glass rubber from them and I am already wondering if that was a good idea. I wish I’d had the patience to wait and order Steele.

Donaldo 02-21-2018 11:02 PM

I used Steele Rubber sets for the window and door seals on my '51, fit like OEM,

DransportGarage 02-22-2018 01:44 AM

I got hooked on SoffSeal when I did my '55 sedan in 1981. Those door gaskets are the same today as they were then. If they have a fault at all, they're an over-restored version of the originals. As we all have experienced, that's quite a contrast to the average repro part.

lowdownstar 02-22-2018 08:52 PM

thanks guys for the feed back, i am going to call Steele rubber an ask what the difference is on the two types they have.

Dan i did get the front and rear window gaskets from Steele rubber but i haven't installed either of them yet!

Thanks again
Ray

idbeast 06-04-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 8194300)
i am not sure what to buy to replace my door gaskets, Steele rubber has two different types a small and reg and soft seal only has one type. any feed back on witch one you used and how it worked out, would be great.

Thanks Ray

Ray,
So, which one did you get, and how is the fit with the doors closed? It's time for me to get some!
Jim

lowdownstar 06-05-2018 09:05 PM

i hate to say this but i still haven't installed the door as of yet! I wish i had better news for you Dan.. Sorry

Ray

my56chevytruck 06-08-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8194395)
I have ALWAYS heard Steele Rubber is the best, period. That said I bought SoftSeal because I was standing at the counter at The Truck Shop in Orange, CA. They are installed and work fine.

FYI: I also bought my front and rear glass rubber from them and I am already wondering if that was a good idea. I wish I’d had the patience to wait and order Steele.

Steele Rubber is good but in my case, SOFFSEAL is by far better. I couldn't get my doors to close with Steele, but they close great and seals perfect with SoffSeal.

DransportGarage 06-08-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my56chevytruck (Post 8277294)
Steele Rubber is good but in my case, SOFFSEAL is by far better. I couldn't get my doors to close with Steele, but they close great and seals perfect with SoffSeal.

2X. I would pay close attention to this tip.

Dan in Pasadena 06-08-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

My doors seal nicely, don't have to slam them. I don't even have the factory metal strips on the bottom of the doors that I THOUGHT was required to keep the weatherstrip down there from coming off.

That said, I DID have problems when I replaced my windshield the first time using Soffseal - one corner of the glass just wouldn't go in flush no matter what was done to it.

So I guess the answer to rubber fitment is, "Best of luck":lol:

idbeast 06-08-2018 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8277347)
2X. I would pay close attention to this tip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8277642)
My doors seal nicely, don't have to slam them. I don't even have the factory metal strips on the bottom of the doors that I THOUGHT was required to keep the weatherstrip down there from coming off.
So I guess the answer to rubber fitment is, "Best of luck":lol:

Thanks everyone for the answers!!! I'm trying to get my '56 into paint next month, so based on discussions about the door seals I dug out the 2 sets that came with my truck and I tried the one with clips, 3/4" from closing I didn't try the other ones that are glue on, but they are about 1/8" shorter. I'm just going to order the soffseal, where is the best place to order them?
Jim

my56chevytruck 06-08-2018 10:52 PM

I'm a fan of Summit Racing for most things, and Soff Seal is another product they offer. Compare prices. good luck

DransportGarage 06-09-2018 02:43 AM

I'd say it would come down to either price or picking a member of the forum that sells them. Summit is good too. Maybe if you bundle with something else you need you can save some shipping cost. If you're going to a swap meet this season you can hit a show special and/or save all of the shipping cost.

my56chevytruck 06-09-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8277793)
I'd say it would come down to either price or picking a member of the forum that sells them. Summit is good too. Maybe if you bundle with something else you need you can save some shipping cost. If you're going to a swap meet this season you can hit a show special and/or save all of the shipping cost.

Good advice!!

lowdownstar 06-16-2018 03:34 PM

well guys i did try the smaller type from steele rubber and i couldn't get my door to close right, so i will be returning them and going with soff seal!!!!