The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   which rad did I have - 3 row or 4 row? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=757034)

NC_John 02-13-2018 03:38 PM

which rad did I have - 3 row or 4 row?

I sold my radiator over a year ago and can't remember what it was. I checked my SPID to see if I had a heavy duty cooling option (if that existed then) but didn't see one. BUT, I need to order a new rad soon and have to know if I have mounts for a 2/3 row or a 4 row. Can anyone tell by these measurements of the bottom mounts?

thanks!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=24457

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=24458

Redneck Rydes 02-13-2018 04:06 PM

Re: which rad did I have - 3 row or 4 row?

Looks like 2-3 row rad

harpo231 02-13-2018 04:17 PM

Vendor can tell you

NC_John 02-13-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Rydes (Post 8187083)
Looks like 2-3 row rad

thanks!

NC_John 02-13-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpo231 (Post 8187090)
Vendor can tell you

Yeah, I'll get a confirmation when I order.

What would I have to do to change them over? Are there simply new brackets available? I have a lot of horsies to keep cool.

thanks

Ironhorse 02-13-2018 05:17 PM

Several options and ways to go, depending on how much $$ want to spend, how close want to stay original in look and style, plastic / aluminum rads thru most parts stores are cheaper but then to me, so is the look.

I converted my '71 4x4 from 3 row original brass/copper to original HD brass/copper 4 row years back and never regretted the expense. Was not really costly at time but could be a bit more now.

Since your a paid subscribing member watch the For Sale ads, 4 row rads do show up from time to time in various states of use. A re-core is not cheap but I did that for my '71 Chevelle when had the 4 row brass / copper re-cored. If go to a 4 row watch for upper and lower rad brackets to show up in the parts section. New rubber cushions are available as are re-production 4 row brackets. Choices, choices, choices to be made.

Be sure you do a good fan clutch and metal fan. Don't go the flex fan route. Also a good fan shroud is a must for proper cooling. Just some thoughts and my $0.2 Good luck on your decision. :chevy:

NC_John 02-13-2018 08:09 PM

It’s actually an LS swap rad I’m shopping for. Just trying to pick a vendor/manufacturer. Got the fans spec’d out- a pair of 12” spal in a factory looking shroud.

Appreciate the input!

PanelDeland 02-13-2018 09:24 PM

The brackets for the factory 4 row are available from any of the vendors. The bottom ones have to be cut off. IIRC I ground a rivet to get them out, then redrilled the holes for the 4 row bottom brackets and bolted them in. The uppers have to be replaced (in the wider mounting holes. also as do all the rubbers. Someone probably makes a radiator to fit this swap.

NC_John 02-13-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanelDeland (Post 8187336)
The brackets for the factory 4 row are available from any of the vendors. The bottom ones have to be cut off. IIRC I ground a rivet to get them out, then redrilled the holes for the 4 row bottom brackets and bolted them in. The uppers have to be replaced (in the wider mounting holes. also as do all the rubbers. Someone probably makes a radiator to fit this swap.

Cool, thanks. There are plenty of radiators available for this swap. I just might upgrade to the four-row sized rad if it wil offer more cooling.

meenaggie 02-13-2018 10:25 PM

I really like the Entropy LSX radiator on my 68 C-10. They can build it to work with the 3 row or 4 row mounts. Just need to let them know how you want it setup. It fit really well and have been pleased so far (just got the engine running).

Curtb1971 02-13-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meenaggie (Post 8187415)
I really like the Entropy LSX radiator on my 68 C-10. They can build it to work with the 3 row or 4 row mounts. Just need to let them know how you want it setup. It fit really well and have been pleased so far (just got the engine running).

I purchased the same one (4 row mounts) and was happy with the install. Also they have great customer service as well.:metal:

NC_John 02-14-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meenaggie (Post 8187415)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtb1971 (Post 8187427)
I purchased the same one (4 row mounts) and was happy with the install. Also they have great customer service as well.:metal:

I have been emailing them with questions (as they are one of my options). I wonder if their 3 and 4 row mount rad is actually the same one, just with different mounting provisions. The original radiator tanks would have been different between the two but maybe not these aftermarket ones. Might need to send another email.

meenaggie 02-14-2018 10:38 AM

If you order their LSX radiator the only difference is the mounts. It is the same size / duty radiator. They do have options to go to bigger radiators for those that are running 1,000 HP and have options on the fans.

meenaggie 02-14-2018 10:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures always help . . . and these are the best ones I had available. I painted my radiator with Eastwood radiator flat black spray paint. I took the fan shroud off to paint it in pieces.

NC_John 02-14-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meenaggie (Post 8187736)
If you order their LSX radiator the only difference is the mounts. It is the same size / duty radiator. They do have options to go to bigger radiators for those that are running 1,000 HP and have options on the fans.

OK, that makes it easier. I'm thinking of getting their rad without fans (which they confirmed they will do) and installing the 12" spal fan setup from Old Air. I want spal fans and their setup makes is look fairly stock.

NC_John 02-14-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meenaggie (Post 8187743)
Pictures always help . . . and these are the best ones I had available. I painted my radiator with Eastwood radiator flat black spray paint. I took the fan shroud off to paint it in pieces.

That looks great. Nice truck. I used the same paint on my previous radiator after having it rebuilt.