The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Copper looking header collector gaskets? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=489348)

prostreetC-10 10-16-2011 10:57 PM

Copper looking header collector gaskets?

I thought I would be able to get away with the header glasspacks on my BBC test camaro but it's just too freaking loud at WOT. My wife could here me standing on it a 1/2 mile away. I'm doing a short 2.5 exhaust with an X pipe and 40's dumping in front of the rear end. The last set of cheapy paper collector gaskets leaked and I saw this copper looking sandwich style gasket at the parts house that was twice the money. Just wondering if anyone has used these and if they are worth the money? Thanks!

Longhorn Man 10-17-2011 12:19 AM

Re: Copper looking header collector gaskets?

I've used the dead soft aluminum ones and they are awesome. Use and reused them for many years and on 2 seperate trucks... never leaked.
I have heard the copper ones are just as good, but I'll be sticking to what I know when I get tubes on my truck.

prostreetC-10 10-17-2011 12:23 AM

That's right.....I now remember they were called "dead soft copper". Sounds like a plan. After a little research, looks like I can get them from Jegs for about what I paid for the crappy ones!

BigDan3131 10-17-2011 03:59 AM

I only use the copper ones after blowing thru so many paper ones. You might rethink those 40 series since people could hear me coming from the same distance with them.

prostreetC-10 10-17-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDan3131 (Post 4957601)
You might rethink those 40 series since people could hear me coming from the same distance with them.

It's a different sound though. I live in the country where the neighbors houses sit back off the road and I'm running them on "brutis". The cheap glasspacks are bolted right to the header and are beyond loud. The added pipe and crossover will help too.

Marv D 10-17-2011 11:39 AM

Mufflers?????
We don need no stinking mufflers~~~~~

hayhauler71 10-18-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 4957401)
I've used the dead soft aluminum ones and they are awesome. Use and reused them for many years and on 2 seperate trucks... never leaked.
I have heard the copper ones are just as good, but I'll be sticking to what I know when I get tubes on my truck.

X 2 on the aluminum I have used for 6 years no problem

GASoline71 10-18-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 4957401)

Yep... the "dead soft" Aliminum or copper are the cats behind. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 (Post 4957751)
It's a different sound though. I live in the country where the neighbors houses sit back off the road and I'm running them on "brutis". The cheap glasspacks are bolted right to the header and are beyond loud. The added pipe and crossover will help too.

Purple Hornies? :lol:

Gary

prostreetC-10 10-18-2011 06:41 PM

No, not the purple horndogs. They are just as bad though. I'm thinking they are louder due to the BBC. Scary because they don't have any miles on them. Couldn't imagine them with the glass finally burned out. I keep looking for the ups truck to pull up wiff my exhaust kit. What is taking those brown turds so long to get here???

crazy longhorn 10-18-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv D (Post 4958002)
Mufflers?????
We don need no stinking mufflers~~~~~

Now we are talking! This crazy old man did run straight pipes, with a set of 3 1/2"X 16" cans on the back......sounded like the headers were uncorked @ the back bumper(355/4spd/4.10 gears). Sounded sweet as hell, but Barney didnt like it(OOPS):lol: crazyL

crazy longhorn 10-18-2011 11:51 PM

OOps, back on topic....the dead soft alum collector gaskets have worked best for me:chevy: crazyL

ProStreet68SB 10-19-2011 07:51 PM

Percys Seal-4-Good (dead soft aluminum) or Percys XX Carbon gaskets. Are the only way to fly.