The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   55.2-59 Tie rod and steering linkage (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816265)

regan56 12-29-2020 11:15 PM

Tie rod and steering linkage

Anybody have photos of their straight axle and tie rod / steering linkage? I had pics of mine before i took it apart, but I lost the pics. Now I’m trying to reinstall the pieces but I can’t recall how the go back together.

If you have pics that would be great! Bar to the back of the axle? Connect to the top of the spindle?

nvrdone 12-29-2020 11:36 PM

Re: Tie rod and steering linkage

dont have pics but maybe i can help. if your truck is an AD series and has a stock I beam axle, the steering arms bolt to the lower mount on the spindle. There should be 2 long bolts with spacers between the steering arm and spindle. the top curves over the top of the spindle, the drag link goes between the top of the spindle arm and the steering box arm. The right arm bolts on to the spindle the same as the left one. both arms point to the rear. If you have a stock tie rod, that bolts on to the balls on the lower end of the spindle arms.
If the system has been modified in any way, then thats a whole new ball game. More detail on what you are working with would help.

regan56 12-29-2020 11:44 PM

56 GMC 2nd series.
Stock steering and straight axle. Only thing that’s different is the new style tie rod ends.

nvrdone 12-30-2020 12:36 AM

ok, it should go together like the AD's.

57tailgater 12-30-2020 12:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I recently got this setup and it was on a '58 GMC but '55.2-59 Chevy and GMC 1/2 ton will be the same. These are the stock tie rod ends but the new style would be installed the same orientation.

regan56 12-30-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8856289)
dont have pics but maybe i can help. if your truck is an AD series and has a stock I beam axle, the steering arms bolt to the lower mount on the spindle. There should be 2 long bolts with spacers between the steering arm and spindle. the top curves over the top of the spindle, the drag link goes between the top of the spindle arm and the steering box arm. The right arm bolts on to the spindle the same as the left one. both arms point to the rear. If you have a stock tie rod, that bolts on to the balls on the lower end of the spindle arms.

Those spacers, they about an inch long? I have 4 in my parts bin that are this length.

regan56 12-30-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57tailgater (Post 8856463)
I recently got this setup and it was on a '58 GMC but '55.2-59 Chevy and GMC 1/2 ton will be the same. These are the stock tie rod ends but the new style would be installed the same orientation.

Excellent!! Thank you for the pics. I’m sure you would have posted if you did but you wouldn’t have pics of the backside of the drivers side hey? Showing the u-shaped piece?

1project2many 12-30-2020 01:06 PM

If you don't have it, there is a copy of the FSM online here. Steering and Suspension is in Section 3.

regan56 12-30-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1project2many (Post 8856476)
If you don't have it, there is a copy of the FSM online here. Steering and Suspension is in Section 3.

Great link. Thank you.

Maybe I didn’t see it but I still don’t know how the driver side goes, although it may just fall into place once I get going :) . Also the four spacers I have are 1.5” long but the only one I have that are big enough to accept the proper size bolt to fit the steering arms so process of elimination tells me these are the ones referenced by nvrdone.

Also, the link that was posted makes reference to a stabilizer bar? I don’t have one for my truck, so not sure if it was removed prior to me getting it? Or I just don’t recall removing it, but I certainly would have kept it if I had?

regan56 12-30-2020 03:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok I’ve mocked up my linkage and something is off here?

nvrdone 12-30-2020 04:29 PM

looks like you have the arms on the wrong side. the top of the left arm curves back over the king pin toward the frame with the drag link pointing back and hooking to the steering box. the tie rod goes behind the axle under the spring.
im sure many of us have made this kind of mistake. thats how we learn.

regan56 12-30-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8856551)
looks like you have the arms on the wrong side. the top of the left arm curves back over the king pin toward the frame with the drag link pointing back and hooking to the steering box. the tie rod goes behind the axle under the spring.
im sure many of us have made this kind of mistake. thats how we learn.

Ball joint facing down though? (Bolt/nut side down)

G&R's57GMC 12-30-2020 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's what you're looking for ...

Right of pic's is to the front ...

1st Drivers side

2nd Passenger side

regan56 12-30-2020 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 8856579)
Here's what you're looking for ...

Right of pic's is to the front ...

1st Drivers side

2nd Passenger side

Excellent. So no spacers???makes sense. The way I have it laid out theses no way I can see the spacers working.

mr48chev 12-30-2020 08:12 PM

If it takes spacers the spacers will go between the spindle and the backing plate rather than the spindle and the steering arms.

This a shot of my muddy mess under my 48 that I took years back and you can see the spacers between the spindle and the 54 Chevy car backing plates. The truck backing plates didn't need spacers on one pair of bolts but did on the other.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...s/DSCN4108.jpg

This is the passenger side. I'd think if those spacers were used on it it was because someone swapped backing plates.

dsraven 12-30-2020 11:08 PM

I was gonna say the spacers go between the backing plate and the spindle. it's been awhile though.

nvrdone 12-31-2020 11:12 AM

sorry for the incorect info. yes, the spacers go between the backing plate and spindle on the lower bolts.

regan56 12-31-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8856903)
sorry for the incorect info. yes, the spacers go between the backing plate and spindle on the lower bolts.

No worries. Lots of more good information here.

I will have more questions on this as I work through.

Regarding the sway bar question though, was it not std equipment back in the day? It’s easy enough to add now by the looks of the kits but is it something I would notice? I’ve never had a truck without.

dsraven 12-31-2020 01:18 PM

Putting around town you may not notice unless you like to do quick cornering. Fast speeds with corners is where you will notice body roll.
Not all came equipped but not a bad idea to have one if available. Google 55-59 chev factory assembly manual and the tri5 site should come up with one that you could download for future reference. It shows how it was put together.

mr48chev 12-31-2020 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8856762)
I was gonna say the spacers go between the backing plate and the spindle. it's been awhile though.

Correct. You can see the spacer between the spindle and backing plate in G&R's57GMC's photo of the left spindle.

I don't know why you would put those long spacers between the spindle and steering arms unless in a previous life that axle had real wide tires and wheels with a lot of positive offset and needed to have the tire rod ends clear the tires and a pretty suspect modification to do it.

_Ogre 12-31-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan56 (Post 8856944)
Regarding the sway bar question though, was it not std equipment back in the day? It’s easy enough to add now by the looks of the kits but is it something I would notice? I’ve never had a truck without.

i believe the sway bar was stock on the suburban only
my 59 panel did not have a sway bar, nor any of the tf pickups i've owned

nvrdone 12-31-2020 04:17 PM

my '49 didn't have front or rear bars. I added a front bar from Brothers and a rear bar from my grand cherokee ( I up graded to SRT 8 bars). The truck handles much better but no where like a Vette etc.

mr48chev 12-31-2020 09:30 PM

I looked in the GM Heritage center archives and it doesn't show accessories for 48, 49 or 50 but in 51 it does show a Ride stabilizer. That may have been an upgrade with the tube shocks.

frkennyg 01-04-2021 12:15 PM

I am working on a 1957 Chevy truck. I do have pics that will help you. Unfortunately my limited computer knowledge keeps me from posting them. I have all new parts that are the original with updated tie-rod ends. Let me know if you still need the pics.

G&R's57GMC 01-04-2021 03:19 PM

The Pic's I posted are an unmolested 55-59 Chevy half ton .

The spacers go between the backing plate and spindle .

And No anti sway bar was offered standard or optional , The aftermarket offers them today for both front and rear .

The aftermarket also offers a steering stabilizer kit that bolts onto brackets on the axle and tie rod that a 50 50 shock mounts to , all included in the kit .