The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Factory A/C: POA Valve or Cycling switch? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=677289)

F.A.A.benny 07-22-2015 01:13 PM

Factory A/C: POA Valve or Cycling switch?

Curious as to how many guys out there went with a poa delete kit, did they like it and why did they choose it over the poa valve. Im guessing cost can be a deciding factor as those delete kits are around $100 and it a little more to get the original poa valve rebuilt.

Davidf 07-22-2015 03:41 PM

Re: Factory A/C: POA Valve or Cycling switch?

Not knowing any better at the time, I rebuilt the a/c system in my '71 (did not operate when I purchased the truck) utilizing a POA delete kit. I elected to stay with R12. Well, it took me about 2 miles down the road to figure out I made a mistake. The darn thing causes the compressor to cycle excessively....constantly on/off is more like it. When the compressors cycles off, there is a total and noticeable lack of cooling in the cabin. Also, the constant loading and unloading of the engine is simply annoying.

So, I built a test rig and calibrated my original POA to 29.5 psi and ripped that POA delete tube out and but the POA in where it belonged. Much better, but not perfect. I occasionally get less than cold air out of the vents.

Andy4639 07-22-2015 03:42 PM

I changed mine out years ago to make it look cleaner under the hood. I like it a lot better than the old POA valve.:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/IMG_3602.JPG

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSCF2645.JPG

engineer_gregh 07-22-2015 04:49 PM

I went with the delete kit and regret it. I should have stayed with the POA valve. Davidf is right about the cycling and it being annoying.

1972RedNeck 07-23-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 7250415)
I changed mine out years ago to make it look cleaner under the hood. I like it a lot better than the old POA valve.:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/IMG_3602.JPG

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSCF2645.JPG

This is the right way to do it.

I would recommend not deleting the POA valve if you run the factory A6 compressor as the clutches are known to eventually fail in a clutch cycling system.

72freak 08-10-2017 09:11 PM

What did you do with the metal line that came out of the box and screwed into the POA valve?

lsversaw 08-10-2017 09:28 PM

What does POA stand for?
Posted via Mobile Device

72freak 08-10-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsversaw (Post 8013966)
What does POA stand for?
Posted via Mobile Device

In most circles it means a really stupid idea that luckily was changed quickly.....in others it means Pilot Operated Absolute Valve

F.A.A.benny 08-10-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72freak (Post 8013957)
What did you do with the metal line that came out of the box and screwed into the POA valve?

He replaced the original evaporator with one probably from a square body truck

F.A.A.benny 08-10-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72freak (Post 8014003)
In most circles it means a really stupid idea that luckily was changed quickly.....in others it means Pilot Operated Absolute Valve

The poa valve was actually not changed for quite a while. It came around 1966 and used into the mid 70s. Gm completely changed over in 1974 and Ford used them for a few yrs.

leddzepp 08-10-2017 10:42 PM

I've never had any poa issues personally. An old auto AC tech told me they are pretty reliable, and 9 times out of 10 the expansion valve fails before it does. Not sure how true that is, but so far this has been my experience.

davischevy 08-11-2017 12:04 AM

I run the POA valve on all my old junk, and they work fine.

If you can get R12 do it, but I recalibrated my POA and it works fine with R134.

tdangle 08-11-2017 12:14 AM

I still have the POA valve in mine. Went to recalibrate it and it was already at 27 so I just left it alone. Running R134 for now

Bob B. 08-11-2017 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsversaw (Post 8013966)
What does POA stand for?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pilot Operated Absolute pressure valve. It's job is to maintain a certain pressure in the evaporator by regulating the suction of the compressor. It works in conjunction with the expansion valve, which controls liquid refrigerant flow into the evaporator. A cycling system does the same thing by turning the compressor on and off by use of a low pressure switch on the line coming out of the evaporator.

Conversion to a cycling system will work, but I don't think it's an ideal solution. This is particularly true if you are still using the original A6 style compressor, they were not designed to cycle (though GM did use them in some of the early cycling systems).

I stayed with the POA on my own truck (had it recalibrated for R134A) and a buddy did same on a '72 El Camino. Both systems work great.

DT1 08-11-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob B. (Post 8014147)
Pilot Operated Absolute pressure valve. It's job is to maintain a certain pressure in the evaporator by regulating the suction of the compressor. It works in conjunction with the expansion valve, which controls liquid refrigerant flow into the evaporator. A cycling system does the same thing by turning the compressor on and off by use of a low pressure switch on the line coming out of the evaporator.

Conversion to a cycling system will work, but I don't think it's an ideal solution. This is particularly true if you are still using the original A6 style compressor, they were not designed to cycle (though GM did use them in some of the early cycling systems).

I stayed with the POA on my own truck (had it recalibrated for R134A) and a buddy did same on a '72 El Camino. Both systems work great.

Is there a write up somewhere for the R134A re-calibration procedure?

davischevy 08-11-2017 02:32 PM

Just do a search. Lots of info out there on the web.

F.A.A.benny 08-11-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DT1 (Post 8014386)

Many online say to turn the set screw 1/4 Of a turn counterclockwise. It I find it not to be very pricise. I use guages and compressed air. What I believe it most important though it is to know whether or not the valve is functioning correctly or even at all. Can't do that with just turning the screw. Unless you knew the valve was functioning fine before recalibrating it, turning the screw won't work and you wont know until after you have charged the system

Bob B. 08-12-2017 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DT1 (Post 8014386)

I used these guys:

https://originalair.com/restoration-gm-poa-valves

Sent my old valve in as a core, got one of their remanufactured and recalibrated for R-134A valves in exchange.

Yes, you can probably get by with a guesstimate valve adjustment, but you really should figure out exactly what pressure it is opening at, as others have pointed out in this thread. That's the best advise I can give you, good luck!

F.A.A.benny 08-12-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob B. (Post 8014768)
I used these guys:

https://originalair.com/restoration-gm-poa-valves

Sent my old valve in as a core, got one of their remanufactured and recalibrated for R-134A valves in exchange.

Yes, you can probably get by with a guesstimate valve adjustment, but you really should figure out exactly what pressure it is opening at, as others have pointed out in this thread. That's the best advise I can give you, good luck!

I used to work for them. That's where I learned how to rebuild poa valves.

davischevy 08-12-2017 08:26 PM

So F.A.A.benny do you rebuild and rebuild the valves now?

strider621 08-12-2017 09:56 PM

I used the POA delete kit from Ecklers and upgraded to R134A. Kept the old POA valve but new one is working fine.

F.A.A.benny 08-12-2017 11:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8015243)
So F.A.A.benny do you rebuild and rebuild the valves now?

Yep I still rebuild poa valves

jjzepplin 08-13-2017 09:29 AM

WOW! That sure is a nice valve there sir. Price?

F.A.A.benny 08-13-2017 09:38 AM

Thanks. It's $175 outright. I include free shipping to the lower48. To rebuild your poa valve is $125 with same shipping included

jjzepplin 08-13-2017 10:05 AM

Good deal. I am going to be using R134. Should I remove the R12 MUFFLER? I am assuming this is the large canister style deal in the aluminum line.