The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hatch Repair (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=743656)

BLT-NT-BOT 07-31-2017 09:12 PM

Hatch Repair

2 Attachment(s)
Any body had to repair the hatch where the supports bolts to it? I have a hatch that has that area busted out and was looking for a way to fix it.

2labman 07-31-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLT-NT-BOT (Post 8004600)
Any body had to repair the hatch where the supports bolts to it? I have a hatch that has that area busted out and was looking for a way to fix it.

Posted via Mobile Device

BLT-NT-BOT 08-03-2017 02:36 PM

Re: Hatch Repair

anyone?

1rippen6 08-03-2017 08:52 PM

I don't have a clue how to fix but I probably have the plate in my hatch pieces can look if interested.

1rippen6 08-03-2017 08:52 PM

Might even have a hatch piece large enough to graft in.

BLT-NT-BOT 08-03-2017 11:47 PM

Yes I would be interested, if you'll get me pictures and price that would be great.

1rippen6 08-04-2017 01:06 PM

I will look at the beginning of the week

stangtjk 08-04-2017 11:11 PM

I'll be tackling this same project this weekend... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Blazer690 08-05-2017 08:54 AM

I cut a round hole in the bottom panel that was covered with a snap in cover. Through this hole I slid a AL 1 1/2X 12" angle to replace the nut plate. Then I pop riveted the angel to the fiber glass at both ends . After fiber glassing the old piece in I threaded the new holes in the AL. Not good looking but heavy duty.

stangtjk 08-05-2017 10:43 PM

My hatch was much worse than just the busted out support area so I probably tackled this project differently than what you would be doing.

First thing I did was separate the two halves of the hatch using a heat gun and putty knife. I cleaned off the old bonding compound and sanded the insides.

Next I laid a couple layers of fiberglass with epoxy resin (polyurethane won't stick) from the back side of the damaged areas.

Tomorrow I'll sand the front side of the repaired areas and put another layer of glass on the outside followed by some SMC filler putty to smooth it all out. Will post pics of the process I used once complete.

stangtjk 08-06-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stangtjk (Post 8009616)
My hatch was much worse than just the busted out support area so I probably tackled this project differently than what you would be doing.

First thing I did was separate the two halves of the hatch using a heat gun and putty knife. I cleaned off the old bonding compound and sanded the insides.

Next I laid a couple layers of fiberglass with epoxy resin (polyurethane won't stick) from the back side of the damaged areas.

Tomorrow I'll sand the front side of the repaired areas and put another layer of glass on the outside followed by some SMC filler putty to smooth it all out. Will post pics of the process I used once complete.

The repairs from on the inside seemed strong enough so I skipped adding another layer of glass on the outside and went straight to the SMC filler. It has bits of carbon fiber in it for reinforcement so it should add some strength as well.

The camera on my phone gave out but I did take some with another camera.... I shared some photos of the progress one I get them uploaded.

BLT-NT-BOT 08-07-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stangtjk (Post 8010423)
The repairs from on the inside seemed strong enough so I skipped adding another layer of glass on the outside and went straight to the SMC filler. It has bits of carbon fiber in it for reinforcement so it should add some strength as well.

The camera on my phone gave out but I did take some with another camera.... I shared some photos of the progress one I get them uploaded.

I would be interested in the photos, thanks for sharing.

Jothan

1rippen6 08-07-2017 06:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry none large enough to use as a patch 8 shipped.

BLT-NT-BOT 08-07-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1rippen6 (Post 8010971)
Sorry none large enough to use as a patch 8 shipped.

I will take them, at least that will give me an idea what I'm missing.

stangtjk 08-07-2017 08:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was missing one of those pieces too... I just cut a piece of plate and tacked on some nuts. I believe they were 1/4-20.

GM man 08-13-2017 05:48 PM

I have a couple of places on my hatch that needs repair too. In a couple of spots I have holes, not quite as big as yours, but they need to be patched up. I was just planning on sanding it back and filling them with pieces of fiberglass. If it adheres well to the sides it should be a rigid and permanent fix.