The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   AA NP205 shifter bracket (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=761236)

rgunlock 04-07-2018 05:11 PM

AA NP205 shifter bracket

4 Attachment(s)
I've read likely most of the threads on this forum about NV4500 swaps. The ones that use the AA adapter to the figure-8 style NP205 generally complain that the AA shifter bracket is flimsy or has too much flex. I have not run across a thread yet that shows what anyone has done to beef up the bracket. Surely someone has.

I've been test fitting and figuring out how this goes together. The shifter bracket is 1/4" and is gusseted, so I am assuming that the flimsy/flex issue is that it only bolts in through 2 of the NV4500 top cover bolts. Or possibly also that the shifter mounts so far from anywhere that the bracket bolts to something solid. Also, where the shifter mounts, it seems like an awful lot of the thread sticks through the bracket.

So, if anyone has fabricated their own bracket, made the AA bracket better, or knows of a source for a better bracket I'd appreciate the info. I'd like to just deal with the issue while I'm still in the planning & gathering parts stage of this.

This will be going into my 78 K15 to replace the SM465/NP205 combo currently in there. I pulled the NV4500 from a 3/4 ton 1992 chevy truck and had a reputable drive line shop "go through it". I'm running 33" tires and it currently has 3:07 gearing. I'll also be swapping my axles for some I've got that are 4:10s. I've been driving the truck daily for over a month since finishing restoration "phase 1", and with the existing setup there just doesn't seem to be a correct gear for things like slow right turns - too fast to get into 2nd, and slow enough to lug down in 3rd. Plus I'm looking forward to having the OD.

sweetk30 04-07-2018 06:45 PM

Re: AA NP205 shifter bracket

i have never seen this setup . but just looking at your pic i can see the flex point all the way on the rear end . all the pressure on the lever pivot point = flex back there with no hold down anywere .

make a tab to pickup 1 or 2 of the 6 bolt pattern bolts and come over and weld to the back end of that bracket . that should firm it up a lot .

but on a side note : stock np205 single levers shift like crap . they shift so much better when you twin stick them . and this lets you run 2wd low on a stock np205 . if you get the upgraded shift rail you then can do front wheel drive only option .

but the 2wd low only extra gain of a twin stick is so nice for backing up trailers .

info you gave with early gearratio's of nv4500 . but your shifter style shows later trans unless you swapped on later top cover .

also i hate to tell you this but your old combo 465/205/3.08/33 = 2195 rpm @ 70 mph . your new combo 4500/205/4.10/33 = 2133 prm @ 70 mph .

but you will get a animal of a truck from the gearing in the axles with 4.10 over 3.08 .

play with this cool web site http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

B. W. 04-07-2018 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have no experience with that bracket but looking at your pics, if I built it, I'd make it out of thicker stock. One alternative is to add a brace to the rear of the bracket over to a bolt on the adapter.

sweetk30 04-07-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. W. (Post 8232532)
I have no experience with that bracket but looking at your pics, if I built it, I'd make it out of thicker stock. One alternative is to add a brace to the rear of the bracket over to a bolt on the adapter.

exactly how i was trying to say that . thanks for the pic .

rgunlock 04-08-2018 08:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The tab idea certainly looks straightforward. I don't really know the history of the truck this NV4500 came from. I didn't change the cover but a PO may have, or it may just be a newer NV4500 swapped into the older truck. I'll look into the twin stick suggestion as well. I think it would be something not used often by me, but nice to have when I need it.

I'd originally planned to use this setup in another project where I'd been thinking about using 35" tires which would have made OD more effective. I've got 4" of lift so could go to 35's on this truck if it ends up becoming a priority. For now, I'm just hoping that the gearing works better for me around my normal commute which rarely gets over 55 MPH.

v30crewcab 04-08-2018 07:29 PM

I made one that uses one of the tcase bolts, and one of the top cover bolts. It doesn't flex.

SunSoaked 04-09-2018 10:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My ORD Twin Stick setup is rock solid and shifts great. Well worth the money in my opinion.

rgunlock 04-11-2018 01:58 PM

That is a nice looking setup. thanks for the pictures Sunsoaked. Looks like that moves the shifters way forward of where the original TC shifter is. Do you have to cut a totally new hole in the transmission hump for it?

rgunlock 04-23-2018 02:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just updating this thread to finish the story. I did add a piece to the shifter bracket to bolt into the spot suggested. It did strengthen up the piece from what I can tell. But, the old linkage no longer fit. Not sure if my addition moved the mounting location or what, but it just didn't line up at all. So, I spent a while making a new linkage. Got it to fit fine by coming in from the back side of the shift stick. Problem is that it wasn't shifting both rails(?)/rods in and out evenly. I'd have to bump the stick a bit to get them both the same. This obviously won't work when its installed and covered with a boot so I can't see where they are at.

Broke down and took the advice offered and ordered up the ORD twin-shifters. Thanks for the help guys.

SunSoaked 04-23-2018 03:42 PM

Cool. I haven't actually used mine yet except for " air shifting" it on the garage floor. Hopefully soon. Got sidetracked with a sniper install.

sweetk30 04-23-2018 05:35 PM

just a fyi on a twin stick . with a stock 205 you will gain 2wd low option . its great for backing up trailers . :metal:

randy500 02-01-2020 11:30 PM

I know this is an pld thread but my comment may help someone in the future....
I used the same AA kit and my “link” didnt fit either once i installed the shifter arm.

I cut the rear of the bracket off, overlapped it towards the trans and forward about 3/8”
The link then fit so i welded it on both sides, i also added a brace similar to what was done here, been working well ever since.
Kind of weird, i think i did mine in march or april of 2018, same time you did yours.