The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   what size drill bit and tap for 3/8 heli-coil (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=24320)

Fast68Chevy 09-14-2002 11:17 AM

what size drill bit and tap for 3/8 heli-coil

anyone know what size drill bit and thread tap are required when installing 3/8 x 16 tps heli-coil ?

and if anyone has either laying around that they would sell me,that would be cool
thanks for anything

71GMC_3/4T 09-14-2002 11:50 AM

Randy,
The Helicoil tap is special. The drill size is listed on the tap, usually. You should be able to pick up a helicoil set for 3/8-16 from a local hardware or autoparts store. Try to get 1 1/2 D helicoils. They length is sized by diameters, hence the D.
Make sure you run the tap in straight and don't wobble. I assume you're doing a tranny tailshaft? I found it easiest to use the electric drill to run the tap in and back out slowly. Use WD-40 for cutting fluid in the aluminum.
If you can't find a tap, let me know. I have one laying around somewhere in my toolbox, with helicoils I could loan you.

mikep 09-14-2002 01:36 PM

I should be a salesman for this company. This is a product that is simply a threaded sleeve with an epoxy coating that bonds once tightened and is stronger and easier to install than helicoils and can be installed with standards taps and no winding tools.

heres a link to the one you need

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/ps...10835;161=1448

Fast68Chevy 09-14-2002 01:41 PM

i would be interested in renting tap from you, if possible, and i need to know what drill bit i need, type of bit and diameter of bit, and im doing this in a cast iron head for exhaust manifold mounting holes, the bolts are snapped off in head, two of them.

not working on or planning on working on a tailshaft, no

tell me more about this threaded sleeve dealy, what is needed to prepare for and install one ?

thanks guys

Capitol68 09-14-2002 02:02 PM

might I suggest try useing a left hand drill bit first to try backing it self out.Try about 3/4 of the thread size in case u have to redrill. You are going to have to drill any way, No guts, No glory.
Just try to drill straight no matter which way u choose.

Fast68Chevy 09-14-2002 04:00 PM

attempting ot back them out will do no goo,d they are frozen permanently to the head, thats why the snapped in the first place.

thanks

nu2-72 09-14-2002 05:44 PM

Fast. many times when a bolt is torqued it stretches and then seizes into the hole. Try drilling 2/3 to 3/4 the bolt size all the way through. This sometimes releases the stress. Heat a little around the bolt and back out.
I just did all 6 on my truck and tapped them to original 3/8 x 16 no problem.

Fast68Chevy 09-14-2002 08:05 PM

well that may work on the oen thats to broken off flush, but the other one is busted off inside head,

i dunno how i can possily and accurately manage to drill out center of a steel bolt like that, gonna have to find a really cool drill bit ?

thanks@!

mikep 09-14-2002 10:49 PM

All you do with the tap sleeve is drill abd tap the old bolt hole out to whatever the OD thread of the sleave is . For a 3/8 you'd go to 1/2-13 or 7/16-16 depending on what sleeve you had. The you screw it in the newly tapped hole. Thats it . Make sure you accurately center punch the middle of the bolt before you drill it out. Not rocket science here. A little bilt one way or the other wont really affect something like an exhaust bolt. I assume its still in the truck.

supercheyenne 09-15-2002 01:03 AM

Well fast,
Your post is somewhat confusing.

I think what your asking is for a 3/8 helicoil tap? Which the answer would be a letter "X" drill (.397 diameter). And a 3/6-16 helicoil tap is the tap you would use. Those Items are usually sold together in one package (along with the actual helicoils) for consumer use.

Try your local hardware/automotive store. If they don't have them try a industrial supply store.

I sure would try a few different ideas first.

Is it sticking out any? If it is, grind two flats on it and try to get a wrench on it.

Heat it up real good and put some wax on it. As it cools the wax will seep into the threads.

Anyway, what I'm saying is. Helicoils are for after you screwed up the hole. Not before.

Good luck.............

supercheyenne 09-15-2002 01:06 AM

dang it,
forgot to mention there's always the good ole' "easy outs".

Just don't bugger up the hole before you've tried everything.

O'l Buck 09-15-2002 01:15 AM

helicoil kits are available at every parts house I've ever been in, they will include the drill, tap, helicoils and installer, but I would agree with Mikep, those little threaded sleeves from McMaster-Carr are far superior to helicoil, that's all we use at the plant, helicoils aren't even available in the parts crib anymore.

nu2-72 09-15-2002 10:17 AM

I apoligize for the suggestion. I thought you might be able to get to it or could accurately center punch it and drill it.
I have really cool drill bits and I know what I am doing and I take my time and do it correctly.
You can do whatever it takes. Machine shop?
Does this sound snotty ? Yes. Just trying to help you out here and can't read your mind! If it was here I would do it for you in 5 minutes. Wanna ship it?

Fast68Chevy 09-15-2002 05:22 PM

ok things are getting twisted around here,

these are hole sin head that are on engine that i dont need to tear apart just to fix two holes in,
the engine is fine otherwise.

the bolts are not gonna come out any other way, i will have to dril them out and tap and re thread them

all i simply need to know is what size and type of bit to use and what size tap for 3/8" coil or also for the 3/8" sleeves

yes, NAPA has a 3/8 coil kit but they want a small fortune for it and i coud probably get a sleeve kit for less than a coil kit and end up with lots better repair, i plan on keeping this engine, so.,,,,,

so for a 3/8 sleeve I'd go with a 1/2-13 or 7/16-16 bit and tap ??
thats not very definite... how can i find out for sure what i need ?? all i need is simple/accurate answer/info,,

im still at square one ? help ?

thanks.

mikep 09-16-2002 01:17 AM

The sleeves are whatever size you buy. They come in thinwall and thickwall sizes. Is that definite enough?

TERRYP 09-16-2002 02:31 AM

Geeze, Fast, 14 posts, and no-one offered an answer! Me neither! Good Luck!, and call a machine shop., bet they have the answer right in front of them.

nu2-72 09-16-2002 04:36 PM

One more try. The drill bit is a plain ol run of the mill 25/64" (.3906) high speed drill bit. The kind everyone has in their set. The tap is a special one use only tap called a HeliCoil tap. As the coil itself is 3/8" x 16 on the inside, it is special on the outside and the tap is NOT a regular tap size. HeliCoil is a brand name and the kit you need is a # 5521-6. This contains the tap, coils and the insertion tool. For extra depth you may insert more than one coil.
Does this get it covered yet ?

tom hand 09-16-2002 05:02 PM

Mikep gave you the best answer in the 3rd post. You must not have followed the link. The inserts from McMaster-Carr cost 1.26 a piece and you need a 1/2" 13 tap to install them.

Stepside 09-16-2002 05:47 PM

If you have room, drill and tap to 7/16-14

jrsavoie 11-10-2019 06:07 PM

Re: what size drill bit and tap for 3/8 heli-coil

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikep (Post 154395)
I should be a salesman for this company. This is a product that is simply a threaded sleeve with an epoxy coating that bonds once tightened and is stronger and easier to install than helicoils and can be installed with standards taps and no winding tools.

heres a link to the one you need

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/ps...10835;161=1448

The link no longer works. Can somebody post a new link?

Sheepdip 11-11-2019 03:03 AM

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-inserts

tj1970cst 11-11-2019 05:38 AM

Drilling into a broken bolt, using ez outs and helicoils is a rite of passage for a youngster. Usually teaches you to be more careful.

I had to do the same to one of my exhaust bolts a year or so ago. I hate that I got rid of all my stuff like that thinking I was done a few years ago.

Amazon has helicoil kits a few bucks cheaper than anywhere local here.

When you buy the kit, it will either come with a bit or tell you which one you need.

jrsavoie 11-11-2019 11:36 AM

This is for a 2001 Polaris 500 Sportsman crankcase Motor mount stud - 3/8-16 x 3/4" deep

I prefer stainless or Titanium. I still did not find anything. My hole is 27/64. .421875 Has to be a 3/8-16 insert of some type. It was wobbled out that much before I started.

I really do not want to go with the 9/16 or 5/8 O.D. threaded inserts because I do not have much material around them, The part it is going into only being 15/16" diameter for the first 1/2" which is also why I want to go 3/4" - which is the length of the stud

I heard of double Helicoils or Helicals - for oversized holes, but haven't found any yet. The 3/8-16 Helicoil type inserts I have found are all for smaller diameter holes. than what I have 27/64. .421875. Finally found those. The O.D> is not large enough for my hole.

Next is to check Time Sert - https://www.timesert.com/html/catalog.pdf and Primesert

Does anybody have any phone numbers for manufacturers?

Something like this would work but I have only found these and Keensert style in 1/2" long - I need 3/4" long https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-inserts

I also saw self tapping inserts. They were either bigger diameter or not long enough

I am thinking about turning down a stainless 3/8-16 drop-in concrete anchor, cutting it to length and using Epoxy to glue it in the crankcase. I'd rather just find an oversized helical threaded insert and be done.

Does anybody have an epoxy recommendation if it comes to that?

I have Napa epoxy 765-2418 here

I am going to try a Time-Sert with Epoxy. My hole is just a little big, but still smaller than the outside diameter of the tap

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1