The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Freeze plug removal (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=435786)

Prerunner1982 12-15-2010 10:29 AM

Freeze plug removal

What is the easiest way to remove a freeze plug? It is rusted and leaking and will be replaced with the engine still in the vehicle. I have never replaced one....it is on an early 90s GM V8 in a fullsize van...

Thank you.

geezer#99 12-15-2010 10:46 AM

Re: Freeze plug removal

There is no easy way. Use a big screwdriver to punch a hole in it and pry it out. Might need some needle nose pliers or channel locks to grip it with. And there's always more coolant in there too no matter how well you think it's drained.
While you have it out why not put a block heater back in. Easier to put it in than try to put a freeze plug back in. The plug's fun to install even when the motor is on an engine stand.

Prerunner1982 12-15-2010 10:57 AM

Thanks Geezer.... this is not my vehicle so it is not really up to me as far as the block heater goes. When a freeze plug is only $0.99-$1.99 the owner doesn't want (or need) to spend more money than necessary on this. Also we really don't need them around here.

MrDude_1 12-15-2010 11:26 AM

use a large self tapping screw (bolt).. screw it into the plug, then, pry on it until it bends the sheetmetal plug and comes out.
this is easier in the car then hitting/prying it with a screwdriver, because you can pry from the sides...
outside the car, just punch a large screwdriver off center into it and pry it out.

allengator 12-15-2010 11:33 AM

I always place a punch or 3/8 extension on one side and tap with a hammer... this will cause the plug to rotate outward on the opposite side.
Then pull out with a pair of channel locks.

1968SWBBigBlock 12-15-2010 12:46 PM

If you have room the self tapping with a slide hammer is slick.
To reinstall them can almost be as much fun.
Use a socket and extention the same ID as the edge of the cup - so you are just inside the lip - any smaller and you can crush the plug

Ticker 12-15-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allengator (Post 4351289)
I always place a punch or 3/8 extension on one side and tap with a hammer... this will cause the plug to rotate outward on the opposite side.

This is how I do it - but it's always a PITA :(

I'll have to try some of the other approaches here; they look interesting :)

Learn something new every day...

stich626 12-15-2010 02:07 PM

sad part is, if one went, the rest are soon to follow.

as far as redneck,backwoods,cheap.. jb weld..

Prerunner1982 12-15-2010 05:25 PM

Thanks again guys....

Prerunner1982 12-16-2010 10:22 AM

Father in law found a rubber plug made to go in there and he was able to get it replaced last night. He said the old plug was pretty weak and came our fairly easy..

prostreetC-10 12-16-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allengator (Post 4351289)

Bam....this is the way. I was amazed at how easy it is. The trick is to get the correct size channel locks that will allow you to leverage on the block and pry them out. At least on BBC I even knocked a few into the block and it was really easy to fish them back out. They don't go far and you can still get the locks on them and rotate them out. I would not waste your time trying any other way!!!

Captainfab 12-17-2010 12:22 AM

I replaced all the external freeze plugs on a 454 in my late Father-inlaw's '79 C10, many years ago. Never again. I did them all with the same reasoning. If one is bad, the rest aren't far behind. Getting them out was the easy part. Trying to drive in the new ones was next to impossible......there's just not enough room to swing a BFH. IMO you would be better off to just pull the engine and change them on a engine stand. The time may be the same, but with much less agrivation.