The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

Vic1947 04-07-2016 12:49 PM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

1 Attachment(s)
Looky, looky, looky!

Lucky Tow came by this morning and after some finagling was barely able to pick up the front end on CRLS. (Yours truly failed to run the AccuAir and lift the suspension prior to their arrival.) But we managed anyway and as you can see, we're now resting comfortably in the workshop. I'm going to yank the tires and wheels this afternoon in order to take them to the Shriner's swap meet this weekend along with some other stuff and see if I can find them a new home. We're underway. ;)

Ol Blue K20 04-07-2016 01:06 PM

Awesome! I'm still watching this one

swamp rat 04-07-2016 01:12 PM

Welcome back Vic!

snipescastle2 04-07-2016 03:26 PM

Good to see you back on track Vic! Hoping to get mine inspected tomorrow then maybe plates... I still have a number of small things to do before I drive it a lot.
Ben
:metal:

jeh 04-07-2016 07:07 PM

Good deal Vic, ready for more!!!!

Xeen 04-07-2016 10:09 PM

Nice!
I've been anxiously anticipating the continuation of CRLS.

sduckworth13 04-07-2016 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7551769)
Looky, looky, looky!

Lucky Tow came by this morning and after some finagling was barely able to pick up the front end on CRLS. (Yours truly failed to run the AccuAir and lift the suspension prior to their arrival.) But we managed anyway and as you can see, we're now resting comfortably in the workshop. I'm going to yank the tires and wheels this afternoon in order to take them to the Shriner's swap meet this weekend along with some other stuff and see if I can find them a new home. We're underway. ;)

Nice to see it back down stairs. I'm available this weekend if you need any help.

jaros44sr 04-08-2016 09:39 AM

Nice to see it back in the shop

Low Elco 04-08-2016 12:39 PM

It's on! Gonna Yank the motor tonight?

jlsanborn 04-08-2016 01:24 PM

Awesome! Whatchya got in mind for new rollers?

mcbassin 04-08-2016 02:11 PM

Looking forward to progress Vic!

Possmguts 04-09-2016 10:55 AM

Well, its been 2 days since you moved that back down stairs.... so.... are you done yet? Jeeze..... talk about taking your time :lol:

Glad you are able to get back on it and look forward to following along here.

Vic1947 04-10-2016 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for encouragement, everyone! We've been busy with the Shriner's swap meet the last couple of days and with that out of the way, I'm ready to get organized. We did pretty good at the swap meet... netted a little over $1500 from junk and/or extraneous parts. I view it as trading out dust catchers for something I need - like new wheels and tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 7553084)
Awesome! Whatchya got in mind for new rollers?

I currently have my eye on the Rocket Booster wheels in 18x8 and 18x9 wrapped with Hankook or Sumitomo performance tires... but that could change. Just looking at what's out there and coming up with wheel/tire combo that satisfies my dimensional tastes has been a challenge. Wheels especially are tough, because the ones that are reasonably priced have fewer options for diameter, width and backspacing. If you're willing to spend $800 - $1000 per wheel, you can pretty much get whatever you want. I'm entirely too penny-pinching to go that route. ;)

roOstersan 04-11-2016 06:29 AM

I'm loving this build Vic! High quality everywhere you look. Thanx for sharing!

I have to say this was my favorite part so far... After being stumped and going inside for a beer, you had a solution figured out in your head 6 minutes later! LoL. Sometimes all you have to do is walk away!
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...psf2dkxiaj.png

Vic1947 04-13-2016 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roOstersan (Post 7556238)
... Sometimes all you have to do is walk away!

Ain't that the truth! Although this time I may have walked away a little more than I originally planned. However, I'm working to get back on track. I've got the cab and bed completely emptied of parts, boxes and junk so it won't be long before I'm back to the rolling chassis. In the middle of everything, I placed an order with CPP for their 12" four wheel disc conversion kit. I kinda wanted the 13" kit, but it only comes with a modular 2" drop spindle. I needed to keep the stock height spindle to work with the front airbag setup already in place. I also ordered their show stopper hydra-stop booster, tubular upper a-arms and 5 lug axles. And I get a free t-shirt out of the deal. ;)

I sourced an Eaton posi-trac unit off eBay to replace the gov-lock I'd previously installed. I'll switch out the gear to a 3.73 while I'm at it which will work better with the other major purchase I made this morning... I bit the bullet and bought the LS3 Connect and Cruise package from Radley Chevrolet in Fredericksburg, VA. They had it on sale and with free shipping, no sales tax and a $500 rebate I figured the time was right.

So all that talk early on of building a rat truck is officially over and done with, if you hadn't figured that out by now.

mcbassin 04-13-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7559439)
Ain't that the truth! Although this time I may have walked away a little more than I originally planned. However, I'm working to get back on track. I've got the cab and bed completely emptied of parts, boxes and junk so it won't be long before I'm back to the rolling chassis. In the middle of everything, I placed an order with CPP for their 12" four wheel disc conversion kit. I kinda wanted the 13" kit, but it only comes with a modular 2" drop spindle. I needed to keep the stock height spindle to work with the front airbag setup already in place. I also ordered their show stopper hydra-stop booster, tubular upper a-arms and 5 lug axles. And I get a free t-shirt out of the deal. ;)

I sourced an Eaton posi-trac unit off eBay to replace the gov-lock I'd previously installed. I'll switch out the gear to a 3.73 while I'm at it which will work better with the other major purchase I made this morning... I bit the bullet and bought the LS3 Connect and Cruise package from Radley Chevrolet in Fredericksburg, VA. They had it on sale and with free shipping, no sales tax and a $500 rebate I figured the time was right.

So all that talk early on of building a rat truck is officially over and done with, if you hadn't figured that out by now.

:metal::metal::metal:

jlsanborn 04-13-2016 04:11 PM

What, no gravel hauling or trips to the dump?

This is going to be a great ride Vic!

jlsanborn 04-13-2016 04:16 PM

Sooo still living in the two-piece main seal era like I am, I had to go looking for that kit you bought. Are you kidding me!? Which did you get, the 430hp or 525hp? No wonder you got the disk brake kit :lol:

knomadd 04-13-2016 04:52 PM

Nice!!! I like where this is headed.

jeh 04-13-2016 06:26 PM

This thing is going to be awesome Vic, I think the connect and cruise package would be the way to go:metal:

swamp rat 04-13-2016 11:37 PM

I'd venture to say the 6.2 430HP.... But i could be wrong.... :)

Still got to peg that alignment problem tho, frame or???

Xeen 04-14-2016 08:37 AM

Wow! I knew you were getting some upgrades but you aren't messing around.

Vic1947 04-14-2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 7559515)
Sooo still living in the two-piece main seal era like I am, I had to go looking for that kit you bought. Are you kidding me!? Which did you get, the 430hp or 525hp? No wonder you got the disk brake kit :lol:

I figured the 430hp version was enough for me. The 480hp with a different cam was like $800 more and the 525hp was a couple of grand more. I'll probably need Depends as it is. ;)

Low Elco 04-14-2016 12:54 PM

Awesome news, Congratulations!

snipescastle2 04-14-2016 01:48 PM

hat's gonna be a wild ride Vic!!!
Ben
:metal: