The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   72 Suburban front suspension decision making help! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=681387)

2tontruck 09-05-2015 05:54 PM

72 Suburban front suspension decision making help!

Ok, Looking to rebuild the front suspension on the 72 Suburban, here are my choices.
#1.. Rebuild the factory control arms with the steel bushings and buy drop spindles. Use factory steering items. (still have possible camber issues)

#2.. Rebuild a set of 73-87 Control arms and use the Bell Tech spindles ( I have a set of control arms and spindles already) and replace all the steering components. (still have possible camber issues)
#3.. Buy a set of tubular control arms to correct the camber issues commonly found in a lowered truck.

I used a set of upper control arms on my old 81 Chevy truck that were 1 inch longer, the company that made them were Chilsom, they worked great! No camber issues at all.. I wish I could find a set of those .....

I have about a 1000.00 budget and that includes doing some minimal brake work that is needed. Just looking for a little guidance....

LockDoc 09-05-2015 07:05 PM

Re: 72 Suburban front suspension decision making help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2tontruck (Post 7299448)
Ok, Looking to rebuild the front suspension on the 72 Suburban, here are my choices.
#1.. Rebuild the factory control arms with the steel bushings and buy drop spindles. Use factory steering items. (still have possible camber issues)

#2.. Rebuild a set of 73-87 Control arms and use the Bell Tech spindles ( I have a set of control arms and spindles already) and replace all the steering components. (still have possible camber issues)
#3.. Buy a set of tubular control arms to correct the camber issues commonly found in a lowered truck.

I used a set of upper control arms on my old 81 Chevy truck that were 1 inch longer, the company that made them were Chilsom, they worked great! No camber issues at all.. I wish I could find a set of those .....

I have about a 1000.00 budget and that includes doing some minimal brake work that is needed. Just looking for a little guidance....

I guess I would do #2.

As far as the camber issues that is what alignment shops are for. I just took my '67 Panel Truck to the alignment shop last Monday ('75 front cross member, 2 inch drop spindles) No problem with the alignment. Took about an hour and he charged me $40. I gave him $50 and still felt guilty....

LockDoc

Advanced Design 09-05-2015 07:14 PM

Dumb question guys...why would there be camber issues?

2tontruck 09-05-2015 07:37 PM

I plan on doing the 3inch spindles and a 2 in spring. I did that on my 81 and it was a little tough to get aligned, I put on the 1"longer control arms and it lined right up. No issues.

Advanced Design 09-05-2015 07:41 PM

Gotcha, too much negative camber from the lowering. Makes sense. Thanks!

2tontruck 09-05-2015 07:48 PM

Correct...

LockDoc 09-06-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2tontruck (Post 7299542)
I plan on doing the 3inch spindles and a 2 in spring. I did that on my 81 and it was a little tough to get aligned, I put on the 1"longer control arms and it lined right up. No issues.

I don't that much about drops but if I was going with that much I would go to the Porterbuilt stuff. It is engineered for that kind of lowering....

LockDoc