The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   temp sending adapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737840)

Llay R. Rac 05-14-2017 01:31 PM

temp sending adapter

5 months ago i put a new stewart warner mechanical temp gauge in my truck. I haven't driven the truck since, i have idled it about 2 hours total.

today when putting in a new water pump, i pulled the thermostat to block housing and i noticed a large amount of white crumbly stuff growing from the area where the adapter for the probe meets the block. It had almost encircled the lower half of the probe. i didnt think to take a picture.

I am sure this is corrosion, the adapter, from the s/w kit, is plated steel, the housing is the original steel housing, so how do i get so much corrosion so quick and how can i avoid it.

Ironangel 05-15-2017 03:23 AM

Re: temp sending adapter

Make sure all the ground wires are good. Block to frame, block to cab, battery ground to block. Try using distilled water rather than tap water in the cooling system...

homemade87 05-15-2017 06:37 AM

Distilled water will most likely fix it . Tap water has a lot of chemicals in it and will do what you say . It will also plug up the radiator . Been doing this for years in all my rides and the systems still looks good .

Jstock85 05-15-2017 12:37 PM

I never knew the difference the water would make. Good info! Hope that fixes you issue.

Llay R. Rac 05-15-2017 05:24 PM

I didn't think that grounds would make a difference with a mechanical gauge , but i am having some ground issues with my lights so i will try better grounding. In the almost 50 years my truck has only had battery to block, and battery to radiator support grounds.

I do know that distilled water is best, but i have been using tap water for awhile, with 50/50 anti freeze and havent had corrosion in the radiator, thats why i was so surprised at the quick growth of corrosion at this spot.
thanks all.

68gmsee 05-15-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llay R. Rac (Post 7943459)
.... In the almost 50 years my truck has only had battery to block, and battery to radiator support grounds....

Never can have enough grounding in these old trucks. When they were new a lot of the grounding was done when the bolt to metal was still fairly new. With age, rust , dirt and moisture create high resistance to battery ground.

I used about 4 new ground strap on my 68 to eliminate gremlins in the rear tail lights and gauges.

I put a grnd strap from bed to frame, one from frame to cab, a new one on engine to cab, radiator support to frame. I may have used another one for good measure but don't remember where.

Llay R. Rac 05-15-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68gmsee (Post 7943652)
Never can have enough grounding in these old trucks. When they were new a lot of the grounding was done when the bolt to metal was still fairly new. With age, rust , dirt and moisture create high resistance to battery ground.

I have been cleaning the bolt holes and so much crud is coming out. even tho the temp probe is close to the battery to block ground i doubt the dirty hole was grounding anything. and i doubt even the cleaned bolt holes will ground sufficiently.
I think a ground strap kit is on my list of things to do.