The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   65 long bed fleetside!!! I'm baaaccckk!!#fathersdaygiftrebuild (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=742394)

Howell1988 07-15-2017 12:31 AM

65 long bed fleetside!!! I'm baaaccckk!!#fathersdaygiftrebuild

5 Attachment(s)
So my dad bought me for Father's Day a 65 long bed half ton Chevy for 500 bucks it starts and runs as the three on the tree and a 250 cubic inch straight 6. It's a two owner truck all original no Bondo and has been sitting for 5 years I went and put some new gas in it fired right up lots of popping to be expected but ran like a champ for a little while couldn't get it to take off figures the carburetor has issues so it won't keep her running today I just found out the pumping the hell out of the brakes and putting new fluid in it was all she needed to get the brakes going again of course there's going to have to be some upgrades but for now it's good to go to get moving around to get started on the body work.
I'll post more later on this weekend it's great to be back!!!!

Howell1988 07-15-2017 12:42 AM

Re: 65 long bed fleetside!!! I'm baaaccckk!!#fathersdaygiftrebuild

4 Attachment(s)
Oh yeah here's a shot of the passenger side the only Fender that's heavily damaged that can't be fixed without just being replaced is the passenger side plan on doing patch panels almost everything going to try to give it that old school look not quite sure what I want to do with paint but we got a 350 bored 40 over with a mild cam about 2,200 miles on it and a slap shift automatic transmission not sure what kind but dad's got it covered the engine came out of my first truck when I was 18 and I literally only drove it maybe 1200 miles the engine got pulled and it's been sitting in the shop ever since I was 18 since I wrecked the S15 that the engine was in by the one time I floor boarded it sitting at a dead stop its spun on a dime and hit a ditch face first so we pulled the engine and left it in the shop in 2015 when I was 27 we decided to order a $600 lower end rebuild kit because my uncle had used the engine for about 800 miles worth of driving before he wore a lobe off the cam driving the engine in reverse for a couple miles but after the rebuilding engines running strong and I wish I could post a video of it on here I actually got a couple videos I'd like to post of the old truck just haven't figured out how to do it yet I got big plans they won't cost a lot just want to make it a daily driver that runs like a beast looks like an old beater drivetrain is ready and waiting in the shop but still got to figure out brakes shocks all that little stuff she's going to need a new windshield because it's cracked and a new window in the passenger side door got busted out by a lawnmower couple years ago so she's taking a little rust in the cab on the passenger side. I posted a couple pictures of it before I got it home as you can tell she was just sitting in the woods on all Flats and of course one of those crank jacks up the rear on the bumper there that thing came in handy though to get it off that muddy ground on the front end and get a Big Jack under to put the Rally's on it can't wait to get the ralleys cleaned up too and slap some different tires on there well good night it's almost midnight here I'll be adding more soon this weekend thanks and again it's good to be back on this forum

rusty76 07-16-2017 07:25 PM

I'll ride. Get us some more pics posted up. Cool ride.

Howell1988 07-17-2017 01:52 AM

Thanks I just changed the oil and filter in her and both fuel filters then found with my dad that the fuel pump is bad so tomorrow buy a pump and try again.

Howell1988 07-17-2017 11:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So I managed to change the fuel pump tonight and of course when trying to take the fuel line out of the pump the nut was so seized up that it bent the fuel line all to crap and twisted it off my dad just happened to have some line in the shop and the brass fittings so got that fixed manage to get it hooked up with just the light of my cell phone hoping I didn't cross thread the nut into the fuel pump dad says we will check it out tomorrow I went to start it to see if I had any leaks and of course the battery was dead so had to call it a night think I found a couple replacement fenders on here from an awesome guy in Arizona excited to purchase these fenders as soon as possible here's some pics from this afternoon. Oh and I also found out the engine is out a of Chevy nova just wish I could post the video of the engine it's going in it I guess the file is too large

Howell1988 07-18-2017 01:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out these videos on YouTube....hey that's my dad there with the 350 yeah buddy!!!

Howell1988 07-18-2017 01:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just for reference if you check out the videos the two short ones are recent first getting the truck. The one of the engine my dad is running was completed nearly two years ago and she has just been sitting waiting for the right opportunity....so I'm looking very forward to putting the engine from my first truck in what I hope is its primary final body...A powerhouse hiding in an old ghost...lol they nicknamed it the Grey ghost but she won't be gray for long I want turquoise faded and the old faded white top brought to her kind of like this...

Howell1988 07-19-2017 11:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well managed to get her running steady enough to get it from my dad's over to my house and the fuel line definitely needs cleaned from the tank to the fuel pump line is obviously dirty or rusted so so going to be the next thing pulling the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump so that it's not starving for fuel but tonight I went ahead and took some pictures of the bed and remove the big flat piece of Steel that the previous owner had laying in the bed so I can get measurements on my boards and go ahead and start getting that ready too so here's a few pics and hopefully I'm going to find a set of fenders and I had a set lined up on here but found out I was short money in my bank account so got to wait till next paycheck and going to try to pick up a set of fenders off here again. Thanks for checking out my YouTube videos and my posts hoping this build starts to pick up speed within the next couple weeks

Howell1988 08-23-2017 11:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Trying to install 87 chevy tilt wheel automatic column. Got the engine and transmission pulled now to convert to power steering and hopefully power brakes off my 82 :) got some new shoes on her too can't wait to slide the 358 and 2200 stall with the full manual automatic :)

Howell1988 08-23-2017 12:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Recent photos :)

Howell1988 08-23-2017 12:57 PM

Have no idea how I'm going to bolt this column up :( first issue of this build...dang it

Howell1988 08-25-2017 10:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dad was super proud when he got home to find I got the column installed and we got it all hooked back up to the steering box. Staying manual steering for now until after she is running. Should be fired up by this Sunday night :) here's some pics after column finished up. She'll be ugly but have the heart of a lion.

Howell1988 08-26-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7992359)
I'll ride. Get us some more pics posted up. Cool ride.

Thanks rusty76 I have been trying to get caught up its been slow but think it's finally starting to pick up a little faster

Howell1988 09-03-2017 03:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hopefully going to slide the engine and transmission in today!!! :) got the transmission linkage hooked up and column and wheel another coat of paint. Waiting on dad to get back so we can hook the engine to the hoist and try this transplant!!!

Howell1988 09-03-2017 03:29 PM

Anyone got any advice on wiring up my blinker switch to this 87 tilt column?

Modges'66 09-03-2017 06:27 PM

Nice! That column looks like the same as the one in my truck! Does it have the separate delay module for the wipers??? Mine is wired-up to control intermittent speed...
You can look back on my build to see the column brackets that I modified for mine.

Howell1988 09-03-2017 10:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A good day :)

Howell1988 09-06-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 8031200)
Nice! That column looks like the same as the one in my truck! Does it have the separate delay module for the wipers??? Mine is wired-up to control intermittent speed...
You can look back on my build to see the column brackets that I modified for mine.

Honestly I'm only using the column for the tilt wheel the shifter and the blinker switch I'm leaving the wipers the ignition and the lights and the hazard lights all alone I want to keep it as stock as possible and also on the column I used the original bracket and I made it work it's tight and ain't going nowhere surprisingly everything lined up I was mostly worried about the brake light switch not lining up with the pedal but it all worked out :)

Howell1988 09-06-2017 11:47 AM

I meant to say dimmer switch too not hazard lights

Howell1988 09-06-2017 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out my decal my buddy made me for the back glass very cool :)

Howell1988 09-11-2017 12:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Dad cut my drive shaft down welded it up and we got a good friend to get it balanced....All on a Sunday and after I installed three new u joints the carrier bearing and of course the yoke for the turbo 350 since it was a 3 speed originally. ...now its installed :) starter on and gages installed. Ready to wire up and then exhaust pipes and me on finishing bolting transmission and hooking up shifter linkage.good day today :)

Howell1988 09-19-2017 11:36 PM

Well after we found she wasn't getting no fuel narrowed it to the sending unit. Then guess what....last two nuts broke clean smooth off. Then like a blessing from above a guy who lives an hour away had an excellent tank he pulled from his when he switched to a fuel cell. I drove paid 50 bucks and man it was perfect like LMC catalog perfect. Awesome guy has built 6 of these trucks and has some other parts a perfect stock radiator not one hole or ding in it 50 bucks....so later after I pay for fenders from the awesome guy parting out the 60 C30 I'll be replacing my radiator too :) so stoked when I get some video of her fired up tomorrow I'll post on YouTube. Can't wait to get the timing set and roll baby roll 350 plus horsepower....In her old rusty shell ready to turn it on :)

Howell1988 10-08-2017 02:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Trying to wire up the column just for blinkers....from 65 to 87 column...dang thing